Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Default Beaver trouble

hey guys. so i was contacted by someone wanting some problem beavers removed from a creek on their property. the problem is i haven't trapped them before and i'm not sure how to target them effectively. i have a couple snares in front of entrances to the lodge and a 330 on a crossover at the edge of the water. the sets have been up for a number of days now and nothing has been caught. how do you guys set your snares and where? any ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 PM

Try and get your hands on some beaver caster, than make a scent mound and they will come. Or put your 330 in the entrance to the lodge and you will get them. Good luck
Old 11-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Shoot em

Just shoot em
Old 11-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

I don't have any experience with snares but I have a bit with 330's. Put a hole in their dam and put a 330 there to greet them when they come to repair it. There are several youtube videos that will show you how it's done. Also, they are busy storing branches to eat throughout the winter so there should be numerous locations where they are coming out of the water onto the bank. I caught a beaver today with a 330 in one of those runs.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=234647
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM

thanks dave i put snares on some of those runs on the bank you are talking about. i would just shoot them if i could see them. but they aren't very brave when are people around.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
thanks dave i put snares on some of those runs on the bank you are talking about. i would just shoot them if i could see them. but they aren't very brave when are people around.
The only time i would use a snare is under the ice, 330's or drowning sets seem to work better
Old 11-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
The only time i would use a snare is under the ice, 330's or drowning sets seem to work better
Yeah. I've heard of folks snaring them on land but I sure wouldn't recommend it. One has to keep in mind that a Beaver is a very powerful animal. I see where they have moved a 100 pound+ section of tree trunk. Pretty tough to hold a critter that can do that.

I'd shoot them or make a few bank sets.

It helps to find a place where they haul out but any place they can haul out will do.

Here's a photo of one of my favorite sets in just such a place.

And another favorite. This set was developed for use in Beaver runs but here I adapted it for use where they were traveling through a road culvert.

I've set the dam many times and breaking a hole and setting a trap in it does work sometimes. But I gave up on that set as it too often wound up with nothing but a sprung trap full of mud and sticks.

Seems the beaver were triggering the trap with sticks they were trying to poke into the hole in the dam.

Slides over dams are another matter. Setting them can be very effective.
Just remember to splash some water over your set before you leave, to wash away as much human scent as possible.

Oh yeah, if you don't have any castor to use, try shaving a few small poplar branches and laying them on the bank, on the path through your trap.

What you are trying to do is make it look like another beaver hauled out for a snack right where your trap is. It's not as effective as using castor but it does work somewhat. Where it really is worth doing is at a scented set, it really adds to the attraction.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 PM

thanks for the pics Keg!! that helps a lot. looks like you have your conibear almost totally in the water for the bank set? i was going to set on the bank where there beavers have dug in to make a house. should i concentrate on where they have climbed out of the water onto the bank or in front of the lodge entrances? i appreciate any ideas as this is my first trapping season.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Kegs first pic will do you well. A nice piece of tender looking poplar in behind it will work wonders.Only thing better too add would be to shoot one and take the castor juice and oil glands mixed together for a lure.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 PM

thanks flyguyd. I'll post some pics if im ever sucessful!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
thanks flyguyd. I'll post some pics if im ever sucessful!
You'll be successful if you follow these guys advice , these sets work for me . Like Keg ,I've never had much luck in setting in a dam break ,mostly just mud and sticks there .However that's not saying that it won't work .
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
thanks for the pics Keg!! that helps a lot. looks like you have your conibear almost totally in the water for the bank set? i was going to set on the bank where there beavers have dug in to make a house. should i concentrate on where they have climbed out of the water onto the bank or in front of the lodge entrances? i appreciate any ideas as this is my first trapping season.

If you can set the approach to a den entrance, say a foot out from the opening, it ought to work very well. Just make sure there's enough room for the jaws to swing freely.

I would not set on dry land, for a number of reasons. #1, too much chance of a by catch. #2 If your catch does not make it into the water, spoilage and rodent damage becomes an issue. #3 Fur damage is far more likely and it is much more likely that the fur will be very dirty, thus more preparation time, washing the fur. And last but not least, #4 It's much harder to get a beaver to stick it's head in a trap set on dry land.

In the water they are used to pushing through sticks and debris, not so much on land. They will want to go around your set if it's on dry land.

It can work, but for me it's much easier to set in the water.

The reason I set my traps so deep is to get them to dive into the trap.
This places them at a disadvantage because their sight is very limited when under water. They can see under water but they have a second eyelid they close under water. It's transparent but limits their vision greatly.

I don't want them to totally dive, just duck under for a second, thus I set the trap with the jaws about an inch above water. Give or take an inch.

The reason I prefer the pull out set is because pull out places are generally easy to find. Remember, it doesn't have to be a place they are using, only a place they could use and it helps if it is a place they are likely to use at some time. Something close to a known travel route or close to a place you know they frequent.

Making a pull out set far from the House and any runs isn't usually all that effective, unless there is sign they have been active in that area.

Here is one such place that did produce. This is from my County trapper work.

Unmarked photo

Guide stick placement.

Green is the guide sticks, Red is the trap, Yellow is the trap stabilizing sticks. white is the trigger.

A word about stabilizing the trap. The way I do it is with two sticks run through the spring loops. I cross them above the trap as seen so that they form a triangle with the apex above the trap. This way the sticks pass between the corners of the jaws which stabilizes the trap and the angle holds the trap at the height you want.
One last thing, the trap is only held in this position while set. There is nothing besides the stabilizing sticks holding the trap.

That way, when the trap triggers it is free so the beaver can pull it into deeper water which makes it harder for the beaver to fight and it speed the beavers demise.

And the results. Note the trap in the background. Top of the photo, just right of center.
The catch is propped against a stump like the one beside it in case anyone was wondering.

One last thing about my way of trapping beaver. I do not anchor my trap in place. What I do is attach a cable to one spring loop, or to the end of the anchor chain. I use three to six feet of 1/8" aircraft cable with a noose at one end.

Here is a trap rigged with a cable. I traced the cable in red as it is hard to see it in this photo.

I drop the noose over a nearby stump or around a stout branch or similar object. Or I drive a stout stake into the ground next to the set and drop the noose over that. Make sure that whatever you attach it to is strong enough to hold a live beaver for at least fifteen minute.

In most cases the catch will die in less then a minute, but accidents do happen.

This system allows the beaver to pull the trap into deeper water, which hopefully is enough to submerge the catch. In my experience they will dive for deeper water the second the trap triggers.
Most catches are found with the anchor cable stretched to it's limit, into deep water.

Most of the time when I approach a set that has connected, all that is visible is the noose around the stump and the part of the cable that is above water. There is nothing else visable that indicates there is a set or any suggestion of an caught animal. This has obvious benefits.

Keep in mind that this is how I do it, others may do it differently.
Mine may not be the best way. It's certainly not the only way and for sure my way could be improved upon.

My way will get you started but never ignore suggestions from other trappers. Learn, adapt, improve. Take what you learn from me, add it to what you learn from others and in the end, hopefully you will be a better trapper then me and the others you learn from.

Then you can teach others to be even better trappers then yourself.

Trapping is a great profession. It's challenging, it's a renewable resource, it offers freedom no other job offers, It's recreation, an income, self reliance, and being part of nature all rolled into one.

There is no other profession that is as natural, or that leaves a smaller footprint on the land. And in my book, there is no other profession that is as enjoyable.

Every day is a challenge. Every set exciting. Going from set to set never knowing what you'll find, the anticipation, the disappointment when nothing works, the trill when it all comes together. There is nothing like it.

Go get em!!

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 11-07-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks again Keg!!! great advice here. i connected on my first animal trapping today! great feeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5045.jpg (102.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141107_164033.jpg (81.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Good lookin beav congrats ... a bit addicting isnt it
Old 11-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Better check - I think beaver snares on dry land are illegal.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Read your regs.

"Snare devices, including neck snares, power snares and foot snares, may only be set for the taking of fur-bearing animals under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or
— by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for bobcat,
coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver (provided the snare loop is completely under water)."
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Gone Hunting

I had intended to address the snaring issue but forgot about it while composing the first reply.

Yes, snaring a Beaver on land is illegal and a really poor idea even if it were legal.
I won't even set a snare for beaver under water until there is at least four inches of ice.

If anyone thinks a Wolf is hard to hold with a snare they haven't had a Beaver get a lung full of fresh air while in a snare.

Under the ice you can hold a beaver with 3/16 cable, on dry land I doubt you would hold one with 1/4 inch cable.

In open water I use nothing but body traps and under the ice I use snares whenever possible. Body traps are too cumbersome under the ice if you can use a snare. But some locations just can't be snared.
A really shallow run for example. Or a colony with all runs under the feed pile.

Glad to see you caught one. That's a great start.

It takes time to get the hang of it but you're off to a great start. In time you will be as good as anyone, if you don't give up and if you don't ever get to thinking you know it all.

I've been a trapper for over fifty years and I'm still learning new stuff, often from beginners.
Thing is, most of us found a way that worked and stuck too it through thick and thin. Not always a good way to be.

Learn adapt, grow. Become the best that you can be.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 AM

i guess i missed that part in the regs. snares are coming out. gotta get them out in the bush for coyote anyway. thanks for pointing that out.