Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Muskrat help

I know that these questions have probably been answered in the past but if you can help me with a kind answer that would be great. After all we all start somewhere, right.
Do i have to completely dry the fur on a rat before it goes on a stretcher and if so how? How many guys a using split board stretchers on muskrats?

Thanks for the help,

Last edited by MB1; 11-02-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Banned

Yes, the pelt must be completely dry before putting it on a stretcher. I wash them in a bucket of cold water when I get home, wring out the excess water, grab them by the tail and shake them a bit to get rid of a bit more. That fluffs up the fur a bit. I then hang them by the teeth with their backs towards an oscillating fan and periodically gently comb the hair up towards the head as they are drying. Once the back is dry, I take them down and put them on the floor on their backs and allow the fan to dry the fronts. If it's nice out, I might hang them outside in the sun and breeze to dry.

I use wire stretchers. They are cheap, it's easy to put the rats on and take them off, and they dry quickly.