Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Default Hoyt Riser Bent - Anyone have experience?

I have a Hoyt Pro Defiant 34. This is the third season of use. I bought it from the original owner in January year. It was in great shape, it tuned up well and grouped really well. I noticed the serving of one of the cables began to wear and found on closer inspection that the cable itself was nicked as the arrow fletching was grazing it on each shot. Turns out the riser is bent and the arrow fletching will no longer clear the cable. I am quite confident this was not an issue when I bought it. I have never dropped it or banged it around. It lives in a hard case. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm guessing the bow is garbage now, and that Hoyt likely won't warranty being the second owner. Thoughts?

As i'll likely need a new bow, any thoughts on what to replace it with? I'm thinking the hoyt helix ultra but open to suggestions. I have a 31" draw, RH, 70lbs.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM

How did you determine it was a bent riser? You might have too much cam lean causing the contact. Take it to a Hoyt dealer to have it looked at.

LC
Old 07-23-2019, 11:03 PM

Is this real? I’m not sure I’ve heard of a bent riser in my life..I believe Hoyt has a lifetime warranty or risers and limbs..is the bow center shot? Is their cam lean? How does it shoot through paper? If all is well have you thought of kist shooting cock fletch at an angle rather than up as to better clear the cable?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 AM

The bent riser has been verified by a Hoyt dealer with multiple people looking at it. The bow is (was) well tuned, cams were in sync, angle was great. It grouped really well. I have noticed it starting to shoot left consistently over the last few weeks and thought it was an anchor point issue. It was getting noticeably worse the last time I shot when I noticed the cable fraying so I assumed the cable was also stretching causing it to pull left. I've paper tuned it, although the flight path of the arrows also seems to have become somewhat more unstable lately so I was planning on paper tuning again to confirm, no need now.

Good point on the cock vane, that could be a good way to help clear the cable. I'm just not sure if the bow is worth "saving" as looking back in seems to be getting worse.

I'm going to contact Hoyt to see if they will do anything about it. I don't expect them to warranty, but maybe they'll help me out on a new bow.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRD View Post
The bent riser has been verified by a Hoyt dealer with multiple people looking at it. The bow is (was) well tuned, cams were in sync, angle was great. It grouped really well. I have noticed it starting to shoot left consistently over the last few weeks and thought it was an anchor point issue. It was getting noticeably worse the last time I shot when I noticed the cable fraying so I assumed the cable was also stretching causing it to pull left. I've paper tuned it, although the flight path of the arrows also seems to have become somewhat more unstable lately so I was planning on paper tuning again to confirm, no need now.

Good point on the cock vane, that could be a good way to help clear the cable. I'm just not sure if the bow is worth "saving" as looking back in seems to be getting worse.

I'm going to contact Hoyt to see if they will do anything about it. I don't expect them to warranty, but maybe they'll help me out on a new bow.

If Hoyt won't help you have nothing to loose by bending it back straight. It's already broke .

locate the center of the bend, block it up on each side of the bend, and press it back into alignment. What do you have to loose.

A big "C" clamp 8 or 10" will have lots of power to do it, or a good bench vice. There are many ways to jig it up and press it back . If it is a cast riser it may decide to break, but it's already broke, if its a machined riser there should be no problems tweeking it straight.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
If Hoyt won't help you have nothing to loose by bending it back straight. It's already broke .

locate the center of the bend, block it up on each side of the bend, and press it back into alignment. What do you have to loose.

A big "C" clamp 8 or 10" will have lots of power to do it, or a good bench vice. There are many ways to jig it up and press it back . If it is a cast riser it may decide to break, but it's already broke, if its a machined riser there should be no problems tweeking it straight.
Thanks for the idea, that could definitely be an option. I am a bit nervous shooting this afterwards as bending it back would likely introduce further weakness/fatigue to the metal at the bent point. I would hate to have the bow blow up on me. Definitely going to look into this though, since I don't have much to lose in this case.

Has anyone had experience ordering just a riser only from Hoyt?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM

Why not talk to Lawrence at Accurate Archery, he's a Hoyt salesperson
Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 PM

I read about 1 time some one said they backed over there bow with the
4 by 4 they drove it in with. Fell off the top before they stopped. They
littery drove over the bow and bent the riser.

Never have ever heard of anybody simply shooting a bow and have the
riser bent doing that.

new one to me.

not trying to provoke or derale just stating facts best I can recall.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 07-24-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Wow. I'm not doubting your story, as it seems like you have had it looked at and confirmed at a Hoyt dealer, but I have never heard of a riser bending without some serious accident (truck backing over it or some such). That may be a first ever for Hoyt. I wouldn't be surprised if they would want to have a look at it themselves at factory, they might just do something for you (replace under lifetime warranty?)....whether you are original owner or not.

Good luck with it, let us know what Hoyt says?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Ya I’m pretty shocked too. Never dropped, definitely never driven over. I have heard one story on another forum of a riser being bent in a bow press so perhaps that’s how it happened. Seems like the riser should be the least fragile part of the bow.

I’m going to get a second opinion on it to see what they think. Stay tuned. Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 PM

It had to have happened in the press if it wasn't physically abused. It's the only conceivable way any riser from any company could be bent. Over pressing typically causes limb damage, but un-even side to side loading in the press combined with over pressing could conceivably cause riser damage.

Jmo,

Norm
Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM

I had issues with a Bowtech, it turned me off of them for life... It turned out it was partly a dealer issue and partly a Bowtech issue. There was a great member on here that was able to help me out and it got repaired. In the meantime I picked up a Hoyt, and I honestly can't see them not doing something about it. Probably worth talking to a larger volume dealer if you don't have any luck on the current path. May be worth checking with Jim Bows.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:09 AM

Update for you guys: The riser was confirmed bent by a second Hoyt dealer and the bow has been sent to Hoyt for them to decide if its fixable or covered under warranty. Fingers crossed it gets repaired/replaced. I'll post an update once I find out, should take 6-8 weeks.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Would be most helpfull to know if this bow was pressed in an Xpress type
press versus an easy green or maybe a DIY bow press.

Also if you bought it new or used (unknown press tuning).

Your out come from Hoyt plus the above info. would be informative
to others.

Only if we get the facts of the history.

Sorry about the new or used statement, rereading your original post I see
it was used not new. So it could have been pressed or overpressed with
a non standard press. This rules out a bad riser from the factory in my mind.

Just my opinion.

No offence meant hope Hoyt covers it and it all works out well.
Just looking for the truth and honesty for all of us.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 08-07-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 PM

I can definitely provide more background for sure. I got it from an acquaintance in February of this year, originally purchased in late 2017. I've never even hunted with it since I only got it this year. Its absolutely never been dropped by myself or banged around, I take good care of it and its only been shot at the range. It may have occurred under the previous owner's care, however when I got it I looked it over and spent time getting it dialled in. I've never pressed it myself, its only been worked on by Hoyt dealers. I'm not sure what type of press it was pressed in, but this could be the issue as I know that the 2016 and newer hoyts required a special press. Perhaps it was pressed incorrectly.

I'm 100% confident that it was not bent due to anything I did to it. I can't say for sure that it was not bent when I bought it, but I am quite sure I would have noticed or the hoyt dealers who did work on it would have noticed.

I'll keep you updated on what I hear back from Hoyt!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 AM

UPDATE: It took 7 months but the Bow has finally arrived back in Calgary. I'll be picking it up early next week. Hoyt is saying it was a defective limb pocket issue, where the limb pocket was causing the limbs to shift to the side giving the appearance of a bent riser. This was causing the contact between the fletching and the cables. Hoyt has swapped out the limb pocket hardware and they have stated everything is back in spec.

Huge props to Jim Bows Calgary as they went to bat for me on this. I can't thank them enough. The Hoyt Canada supplier thought it was probably driven over (which is wasn't) and didn't want to send it to the US to be repaired. Jim Bows insisted and Hoyt eventually came through on it.

Considering how good of shape the bow was in, and the relatively low amount of use, I was pretty devastated at the time, so very happy to have it back.

I'll post an update when I have the bow in my hands and can look at it and shoot it myself.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Really glad it worked out so well for you but I have to say the given all the poop you were put through, I sure would not be looking at a Hoyt for a new bow. Really good that Jim Bows stood behind you so solid. Being a large volume dealer he has way more pull than the individual consumer. Just one more good example of why buying stuff on line to save ten bucks isn't a good idea.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
I read about 1 time some one said they backed over there bow with the
4 by 4 they drove it in with. Fell off the top before they stopped. They
littery drove over the bow and bent the riser.

Never have ever heard of anybody simply shooting a bow and have the
riser bent doing that.

new one to me.

not trying to provoke or derale just stating facts best I can recall.

Bowtech had an issue with carbon risers bending a few years ago.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 AM

Glad to see it got repaired and as best as we can understand was faulty
was the limb pocket not the riser .. according to Hoyt the manufacture.

I realize 7 months is a long time to wait for an item to be fixed but it was
a second hand used item, most companies these days would not consider
looking at it hands down unless you were the original purchaser, Hoyt finally
made good on it with the recomendation from Jim Bows backing you up.
Trying doing that with a used car from a car dealership, good luck (for example only).

Getting acurite information out to the public helps out everyone from the
buyer right back up to the seller and manufacture etc.

Thank you for your honesty and following up here.
You've shown one of the most important things any archer can have patients. :-)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 AM

I picked up the bow yesterday and it looks great. Turns out Hoyt put in a new riser too. The theory is that the limb pockets were machined incorrectly, which threw the limbs out of alignment causing lateral bending forces on the riser which slowly bent it over time. This makes sense to me as I noticed a gradual shift in my arrows shooting further and further left. I'm happy to have the bow back and stoked Hoyt was willing to warranty it. It wouldn't have happened without the help from Jim Bows. The bow is basically brand new now.

Since this happened in July, I was without a bow going into hunting season. I bought a new bow last season (Bowtech Realm X). Now I need to decide which bow to sell. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards selling the Hoyt.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:23 PM

Glad it all worked out for you.
Good luck trying to decide which one to sell, I bought my DXT to try thinking
if it could equal and or out shoot my SwitchBack XT and it did as well or better
I would sell the older SBXT and recoupe some money.
Bought the SBXT in 2006, the DXT in 2009 finally sold the SBXT last year after
I bought my Triax. Was like cutting off a arm to sell it.

Upside always had a backup bow if needed, not a bad thing either.
One year I was shooting the DXT target regularly and was going to use it for hunting in Oct. around about Sept. 15 or so I decided to try a new release.
Went from a jaws TRU ball to a hook TRU ball, loved the crisper softer feel
of the hook kind of like a hair trigger on a gun. But didn't see that the sharper
angle it put on my dloop caused some serving sepertion on my sting at the
upper part of the cam till mid Oct. (mid hunting season).
So soon as I saw the issue, I ordered a new set of cable/strings for the DXT
and took the sight and ultra rest off the DXT and put them on the SBXT.
2 days re-tune SBXT and hunting again come Monday. No problem.

Took my time with the new string set on the DXT over the winter and had it
back in the saddle again well before next spring turkey hunting.

Was sure glad I had that backup bow, got me a 2nd doe that fall too before
the season was over.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 02-20-2020 at 04:46 PM.