Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Looking for a shop in Edmonton to get car windows tinted.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a shop to get 3 windows tinted at.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Tint studio on the west end.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 PM

Tint factory on the west side. They put 5% on all windows and it came out great
Old 10-18-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Tint factory on the west side. They put 5% on all windows and it came out great
Hopefully not on the driver & passenger windows.

Those people are going to be responsible for the inevitable crackdown.

Once upon a time shops wouldn't do any darker than 30% on the front side windows, now some shops are dooing 5% limo tint on them, they are their own biggest enemy, they just can't see the forrest for the trees.

St.Albert tint also does great work
Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 AM

I used Supertint in the Westend. They were a little pricier than other shops I spoke to but they offered a lifetime guarantee on the product and install. I also went with their UV blocking tint, it's supposed to keep your interior from fading as quickly if you leave your vehicle in the sun often. It's also easier on the eyes.

They did good work, I'd use them again.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:00 AM

Default St Albert Tint

If you can make it to St Albert. Good friend and good shop.

Tom at St Albert Tint 780-458-0091
Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Tint

Garage 104 Calgary trail southbound
Dean (780) 448-1111. Pretty good workmanship..Reasonable
Old 10-22-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Hopefully not on the driver & passenger windows.

Those people are going to be responsible for the inevitable crackdown.

Once upon a time shops wouldn't do any darker than 30% on the front side windows, now some shops are dooing 5% limo tint on them, they are their own biggest enemy, they just can't see the forrest for the trees.

St.Albert tint also does great work
Why would the shop even care? The onus is on the owner of the vehicle. Shop takes money, does the work. Owner of vehicle is happy. Cop pulls owner over, tells owner to remove the tint, issues ticket. Owner pays and continues on with life.
Are going insane.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Why would the shop even care? The onus is on the owner of the vehicle. Shop takes money, does the work. Owner of vehicle is happy. Cop pulls owner over, tells owner to remove the tint, issues ticket. Owner pays and continues on with life.
The shops should care.

When the crackdown comes some people will stop tinting their windows and the ones dooing the tinting will have far less work and they are responsible for bringing unnecessary heat on them and their customers.

Some still refuse to do any darker than 30% on the driver & passenger glass.

The cop can make you peel it off on the spot or have it towed home if he really wants, happened to a buddy I was riding with as we passed through Edson. He had to peel it off right then & there. He hasn't had any tinting done since on any of his vehicles. The tint he had to peel was limo black
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Why do people tint their windows and why are there laws against it ?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM

I don't believe it matters how "dark" the tint is on the front windows. If it is a film tint, it is no good and you might be ticketed. One can find out about it in the Traffic Safety Act.

You will not necessarily get a ticket though. I bought a vehicle about 10 years ago now, which was used and already had all windows but a windshield tinted (it's a coupe). The vehicle passed two safety inspections, once when I bought it and once when I moved Alberta. I was once warned by a cop that I may get a ticket one day for it. I tried removing the tint, it was kind of complicated, so I figured f it. Fast forward to the past July, I got a $75 ticket for it. I tried to pull it off again later in the day, but it just would not come off easily. So I said f it again and drive it as is with the tinted windows again (it is not really my main vehicle; sometimes it is).

I should add here that the cop also gave me a $150 ticket for the plastic cover I had on my license plate. Again, the plate has been there for about 10 years now (it went together with the plate itself). I received a few speeding tickets over the 10 years and no one ever said a word about it. I once was pulled over because the car was dirty and the officer asked me where my plate was and after I cleaned some dirt off it with my foot to show the plate is there, he told to drive safe and left (he clearly saw the cover). This guy said it is illegal and gave me a ticket. I obviously did not know about it; otherwise, I would have had it. The amount is plain ridiculous, in my opinion. I took the cover off on the spot and asked him to just give me a warning because it is simply ridiculous, but issued a ticket anyway. So that one stop costed me $225 for the tint and a piece of plastic.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Why do people tint their windows and why are there laws against it ?
It is illegal because other drivers should be able to see your actions since you are being art of the traffic. Cops need to see the same in addition to whether you are talking on the phone or being distracted otherwise. Film is illegal because the glass is tempered and breaks into small pieces in case of an accident and falls quickly. The film does not allow for the glass to do that. Maybe there are other reasons as well.

Non film tint is perfectly legal. Perhaps there is a level of "darkness" that is of concern, but I am not aware of it; otherwise it is legal.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM

$63 dollar ticket. Police understaffed. Can’t be bothered pulling car over for only that. No crack down going to happen. Just like no crack down on his conversion lights