Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Checking at night

So work these days seems to be getting more and more hectic and as I'm about to start snaring I'm realizing that a lot of my checks are going to have to be done after dark.
My baits are pushed fairly far into the bush and although I flag every snare I can't always keep track of where on the trail they are without a visual aid. I'm wondering about the possibility of some kind of reflector tape that can be seen through the bush when hit with the beam of my headlamp.
Do any of you find it hard to check at night or will my green flagging tape show up good enough?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Reflective clip ons

Finding snares can be a real pain even in the light sometimes lol. I have to check in the dark sometimes, at first it can be a bit tricky but once you get the rhythm you will be fine, the normal flagging tape shows up decent but I have some reflective ones that clip onto branches, they are nice. I’m not sure where to buy them but if they are real handy. I think I got them for Christmas from scheels in the states. I find if I know for certain how many snares are at each spot I can figure out where the ones are that I missed... I also haven’t done it yet, but you can drop very precise pins on iHunter, worth a try.

Last edited by admin; 11-14-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:51 PM

We check at night all the time and had this same problem. I just got some reflective tape at the dollar store. Cheap and works alright.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:40 PM

I check snares at night all the time.

I have a very bright head lamp. It's the highest lumens I could find. Keep extra batteries for cold days and use lithium ones.

Aside from that I just make sure I use a very long piece of flagging tape and I make sure I flag the tree the snare is tied to, so I just look down.

Doesn't hurt to record how many snares you have at each bait site or area.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I check snares at night all the time.

I have a very bright head lamp. It's the highest lumens I could find. Keep extra batteries for cold days and use lithium ones.

Aside from that I just make sure I use a very long piece of flagging tape and I make sure I flag the tree the snare is tied to, so I just look down.

Doesn't hurt to record how many snares you have at each bait site or area.
^^^^this.. I dont check at night , but agree its a good idea to record the number of snares at a site . I even go so far as to map them out and check them in the same order each time so as not to miss any . The possibilty of running into a bear at night makes a requirement to check in the daylight .
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Default Checking at night

I use reflective tape doubled over on a paper clip. Works great, and a whole bunch will fit in your pocket.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys! I will keep an eye out for reflective tape and get a notepad for recording my snare #'s

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Thanks guys! I will keep an eye out for reflective tape and get a notepad for recording my snare #'s
If you have a very short memory like me ,the note pad is a good idea .. We had a local rancher that had a calf get tangled in a forgotten snare by another trapper last spring . That guy is no longer snaring there and I have been asked to fill his spot .
I would do it but the ranchers son inlaw likes to call in there so Im not willing to set a bait so he can come call it but I appreciate the offer.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 PM
AO Sponsor

For some reason, my wife doesn't like it when I check a few snares in the dark. I think she could be right if I didn't have a good light, however, I DO have a good light and her argument is moot and void. Surely my goodest buddy and dearest friend Andrew could attest. The guy just lurks and lurks, in solitude and (would be) (has been)stealth, waiting for me to type a word or two so he can rebuke me on the phone during his waking hours.

There's even these little reflective tack things that are sold today. I bought some but just don't know, they probably reflect real good for a kiyute in the moonlight too. This is an animal that can run thru a very thick patch of brush at a very high rate of speed on a very black night when us stupid men and very smart ladies can hardly see a thing, or perhaps can see absolutely nothing??? and yet our little kiyute buddies can run thru thick brush at 30 mph.

Reflective tape anyone??? How bout pink flagging tape for daytime checking? Surly th kiyutes are way too stupid to notice anything we do!

(All in fun!)

Back to Andrew....

The poor man has been asleep for many hours now tonite. If you are like andr w you should just forget about r lective tape and tacks and really, really, really brite lights, and (yawn!!!!) get a few extra hours of shut eye every day instead of taking animals out of snares, long after dark when a guy could be sawing lawgs.

Last edited by Marty S; 11-16-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 PM

I tend to do lots of checking in the dark as well.
I make a little nap of the area with all my snare locations laid out. I also use a really good headlamp, as well as flagging up as high as possible in the trees. I just look up and usually see the flagging moving in the wind.

I also always set my areas in multiples of 5. I pack my snares in bundles of 5, and I always double and triple count when I set an area. I also keep track of snare counts as I pack animals out. I always use a knife and mark a tree on the way into the bait with my count.
I’m super paranoid about leaving snares behind.