Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM

Default New Regs Out, Burn the Internet Down!

Ha, figured some of you might like to see the new regs admin added a link to above. There are some significant changes this year.

They went ahead and opened PCR to retention as well as Burnstick and Glennifer and also 5 other new tag lakes including Gull.

Bow River regs were simplified and changed to bait ban catch and release everywhere from Banff NP to Bassano Dam.

It is now also illegal to waste burbot.

Also illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.

There could be more too those are just the highlighted points at beginning of regs. Make sure you read through them carefully and understand them.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM

Pine Coulee. Allowed to keep 3 walleye any size. Any bets on whether there are any fish left before summer!?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Don't forget:

Quote:
Don’t forget to ‘Pull the Plug!’ Residual standing water in watercraft is known to be a source of aquatic invasive species and fish disease introductions. All watercraft being transported (e.g. on a road) in Alberta must now have the drain plug plugged while in transport.

Looks like an in-season change coming. I'm sure they must have meant to say "pulled" not plugged.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
They went ahead and opened PCR
I'm sure some will be thrilled. It's very unfortunate IMHO. Another "consultation" on what was already a foregone conclusion.

With a walleye and pike limit of 3 each, it'll be fished out in a year. The boat launch and dock should be one amazing spectacle on opening day...

Quote:
Illegal to dispose of unused bait within 50 metres of water bodies except in a regularly serviced waste disposal receptacle.
This makes ZERO sense to me. It's a real head scratcher.

It's perfectly OK to fish with it - which exposes it to the water and will inevitably result in lost bait entering the water body - but it can't be disposed of within 50m? Seriously?

How are the 99% of minnows or worms in a tub OK to be released in the water while fishing, but the 1% remaining are a serious issue if put directly into the water?

Is the bait affecting or somehow how harming wildlife within 50m of shore? Throwing it in the bush 51m away is perfectly fine?

If it's a littering thing due to the mess or the smell, then just issue a ticket for littering...
Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Don't bypass watercraft inspection stations. If you do and they find critters on your boat, the fines/jail time are HUGE! They are very nice people and often have giveaways like drink insulators, floating keychains and drying cloths for your boat.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Pine Coulee. Allowed to keep 3 walleye any size. Any bets on whether there are any fish left before summer!?
It will be fished out by end of the year. With 3 fish limit, no size restriction, lots of fish and all other lakes in the area closed to retention its going to be like a bumper boat derby out there lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm sure some will be thrilled. It's very unfortunate IMHO. Another "consultation" on what was already a foregone conclusion.
It is a sad state for PCR... Let's hope they turn it around to a good trout lake one day (as they stated their intentions on the survey).

Quote:
How are the 99% of minnows or worms in a tub OK to be released in the water while fishing, but the 1% remaining are a serious issue if put directly into the water?
Is it perhaps they're trying to crack down on chumming?

Last edited by azn_rice_man; 03-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Don't forget:

Looks like an in-season change coming. I'm sure they must have meant to say "pulled" not plugged.
Ha missed that.

Quote:

It's perfectly OK to fish with it - which exposes it to the water and will inevitably result in lost bait entering the water body - but it can't be disposed of within 50m? Seriously?

Is the bait affecting or somehow how harming wildlife within 50m of shore? Throwing it in the bush 51m away is perfectly fine?

If it's a littering thing due to the mess or the smell, then just issue a ticket for littering...
Wasn't expecting that change, I would like to know what the actual law change states(if there was one).

Another thing noted is a comment saying that the Tiger Trout stocking was seen as a success and they plan to increase Tiger trout opportunities this year. Strange that they still haven't made them a sport fish species yet...
Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Gee, I would have been happy with one!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
It is a sad state for PCR... Let's hope they turn it around to a good trout lake one day (as they stated their intentions on the survey).
I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Is it perhaps a chumming thing they're cracking down on?
Maybe. Nothing would really surprise me at this point (except PCR actually becoming a good trout fishery. )
Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:

With a walleye and pike limit of 3 each, it'll be fished out in a year. The boat launch and dock should be one amazing spectacle on opening day...

I believe the bigger issue is the release of live bait such as worms or crawlers where they are not native.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe. Nothing would really surprise me at this point (except PCR actually becoming a good trout fishery. )
One can dream... and stay hopeful!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
I believe the bigger issue is the release of live bait such as worms or crawlers where they are not native.
In that case, the 50m from a waterbody stipulation makes no sense.

Just make it illegal period.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gee, I would have been happy with one!
That's what I was hoping for and put in the survey. Thought it would be a good compromise to maybe see if less competition might help the population. But hey what do we know. Seems like this was a forgone conclusion. Dumb.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
That actually makes some sense especially with say leeches.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not seeing the change in the burbot reg

I see "The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot)."

Which would be the same as a burbot thrown on the ice and wasted was still considered "legally kept".
Old 03-15-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Not seeing the change in the burbot reg

I see "The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot)."

Which would be the same as a burbot thrown on the ice and wasted was still considered "legally kept".
You reading last years regs?

Right in the important changes section it states.

Quote:
The wastage of the edible flesh of Burbot is PROHIBITED
Then on page 23

Quote:
The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted,
destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:33 PM

Bout time they increased the licence fees for non resident and non resident Canadians.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post

Is it perhaps they're trying to crack down on chumming?

It's entirely about Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) prevention. Zebra/ Quagga Mussels and non-native fish

As for the comment about dumping worms and leeches in the water, you're supposed to kill and dispose of outside the water. Dew worms and earthworms are an Invasive Species, changing plant composition by mixing the soil horizons, so should be killed before being tossed
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM

A class tags for walleye out of Gull lake now, thats good to see
Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
You reading last years regs?

Right in the important changes section it states.

Then on page 23
Just the online version for 2017 that is copy and pasted right from the site.Under additional restrictions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.4 KB, 229 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Really hate to see the PCR change, I used it as an introduction spot for newby's, mobility impaired friend, grandkids, morning fishery with neighbours, get the boat running in the spring etc.. AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem. I guess in a few years we will may have another put and take small trout fishery.
As other have stated opening days will be a gong show. Might be fun to watch if it wasn't so sad.
I would have thought that if they really wanted the walleye out of there, maybe a one or two tag system for kids etc. may have sufficed. At least that would keep the whole thing some what manageable.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:01 PM

Dont worry their plan is to fish it out as bad as it sounds. They are removing them to turn it into a trout lake. They will succeed easily I would bet.

Quote:
It will be fished out by end of the year. With 3 fish limit, no size restriction, lots of fish and all other lakes in the area closed to retention its going to be like a bumper boat derby out there lol.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Just the online version for 2017 that is copy and pasted right from the site.Under additional restrictions
The online version doesn't match paper version on a few things I see... I would go off paper version.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Leeches have become way too darn expensive to be dumping out lol! But yes I guess it could happen. Not sure that frozen minnows would be a problem unless still able to transmit some sort of disease or something to the waterbody. They do often come from out of province which may be a concern. I don't see it with the worms though. What invasive species could be introduced with dumping a few worms? That's been fish food since the beginning of time.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
The online version doesn't match paper version on a few things I see... I would go off paper version.
I would believe the online version Trumps the paper, isn't there a disclaimer stating something along those lines??
Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 PM

I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end. It's a bit much of a change in this particular lake but good to see walleye not being given the status of god in all of our lakes
Old 03-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I would believe the online version Trumps the paper, isn't there a disclaimer stating something alon those lines??
Here it says it is illegal too, they just never updated that one page(didn't update bait definition either for example).

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishing...anagement.html

Online does not trump paper, neither are actually the law just summaries of it. The law used to state

Quote:
Game fish possession requirements against spoilage
57(1) No person who is in possession of a game fish shall allow its
edible flesh to be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned.
(2) This section does not apply to
(a) burbot,
I don't see a new version yet but obviously they plan on changing it or it has been changed and new version is just not online yet.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Leeches have become way too darn expensive to be dumping out lol! But yes I guess it could happen. Not sure that frozen minnows would be a problem unless still able to transmit some sort of disease or something to the waterbody. They do often come from out of province which may be a concern. I don't see it with the worms though. What invasive species could be introduced with dumping a few worms? That's been fish food since the beginning of time.
The worms themselves are invasive, read my earlier post on this thread

Link- http://worms.biology.ualberta.ca/spread/
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.