Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wonder about what happens to wildlife during natural disasters?
yes 73 68.22%
no 34 31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Do you wonder about wildlife in peril?

Just a simple yes/no poll asking if you wonder about what happens to the wildlife during natural disasters? Like blizzards, ice storms, floods, forest fires, hailstorms, tornadoes, heat waves, earthquakes and other calamities.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM

I created this poll because I have been pondered this every time a disaster occurs. Sort of wish there were more news reports on the subject when things occur. Like the fires in BC right now. I have not heard one news report on the wildlife in peril from these fires. The displacement and loss of birds and animals and such.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2018, 05:24 PM

That and bison escapes.....the struggle is real...
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 PM

I was surprised one day at Silver Willow, to see how many birds got picked up on their property, that got killed in a hailstorm the day before, it was a dozen or so, a hawk, an owl and a bunch of smaller birds. Often wonder what waterfowl do in that situation, to protect themselves.
Crown fires will suffocate animals underneath them.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:57 PM

I talked to someone after the ft. McMurray fire and he said there were “lots”of dead animals found. I’m sure the don’t instinctively know how to flee a fire, hell we barely can.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 AM

I believe it is the natural way of keeping nature in balance. The food supply is burnt and all those up the food chain are also burned or displaced. As the regrowth progresses the creatures return - and so goes the cycle.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I believe it is the natural way of keeping nature in balance. The food supply is burnt and all those up the food chain are also burned or displaced. As the regrowth progresses the creatures return - and so goes the cycle.
Right .
Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM

Wildfire is a natural process. Happened regularly before humans came along, in fact even more than it happens today since we keep trying to put them all out. They’ll be just fine in the long run.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I too understand the "balances" of nature but I find myself still curious as to the wildlife in times of crisis. I do not think there needs to be any intervention to benefit the wildlife. Nature will take it's course. It would be interesting to see how some species adapt or retreat.

So far the poll does show the majority of people are interested. Hopefully a few more will respond to the poll in the next couple weeks.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:04 AM

I remember seeing biologist helicopters flying the Athabasca during the Ft. Mac fire doing wildlife counts etc..
Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Not just animals. What happens to the streams and smaller lakes with the ash deposits. This has to have an effect on the aquatic life.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Not just animals. What happens to the streams and smaller lakes with the ash deposits. This has to have an effect on the aquatic life.
The first heavy rains after a forest fire must release lots of sediments into the waterways too. When creek banks lose the canopy cover after a fire the creeks tend to warm up more which can stress or kill the fish. Fires must affect the insect life that would be hovering over a lake or river too. Might make the insect loving fish a little more hungry.