Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

I cant say I have had experience pulling with an eco boost (its good because I wouldnt want to) but after working in a Ford dealership I can say Fords are the last vehicles I or any of my family will buy.
The aluminum bodies are a joke. Light but fold like pop cans. Nice to work on, if you can get parts.
Not to mention the work I did daily to Fords that havent even been sold.
Out of my 19 years in the automotive field I have never been so turned off by a make of vehicles.
IMHO
Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
I cant say I have had experience pulling with an eco boost (its good because I wouldnt want to) but after working in a Ford dealership I can say Fords are the last vehicles I or any of my family will buy.
The aluminum bodies are a joke. Light but fold like pop cans. Nice to work on, if you can get parts.
Not to mention the work I did daily to Fords that havent even been sold.
Out of my 19 years in the automotive field I have never been so turned off by a make of vehicles.
IMHO
Pretty nice to be able to buy a truck and 15 years down the road not a spot of body or wheel well rust thanks to the alum body. As long as it’s insured who sweats the body work? Also look up thier collision tests, they did pretty good !
Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Pretty nice to be able to buy a truck and 15 years down the road not a spot of body or wheel well rust thanks to the alum body. As long as it’s insured who sweats the body work? Also look up thier collision tests, they did pretty good !
Ya you wish
Ill tell ya what, Aluminum still corrodes. People who say it wont rust are correct however it still corrodes. Thats why you see all the chev tahoe's and such where there rear gates are completely corroded. Steel rusts, aluminum corrodes.
Not to mention aluminum is very prone to contamination from steel
Ive also changed quite a few boxsides because the aluminum was cracking from flexing while being drove. Or holes in box floors from heavy objects being dropped.
I had one f150 that was hit mildly on the right headlight. The headlamp only had a scratched but pushed all the way back leaving a foot long rip in the fender.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Collision tests huh?
I highly doubt you can show me an experienced tech that fixes the aluminum Fords daily that will tell you they are as solid as the steel ones.
I respect you have your opinion, but mine is from first hand experience fixing these trucks
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Sorry for derailing.
Just my humble opinion
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
My BIL has had a 3.5 Ecoboost, and now he was the 6.2L Chevy. He pulls JD tractors all around southern Alberta for deliveries.

He said the Chevy will outpull his Ecoboost all day, while getting way better gas mileage.

The Ecoboost was working and in boost all the time, sucking back the gas, where onc ethe Chevy is up to speed it just pulls.
This is about the funniest thing I read. 6.2l out pulling a Ecoboost. With better fuel economy to boot.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
My BIL has had a 3.5 Ecoboost, and now he was the 6.2L Chevy. He pulls JD tractors all around southern Alberta for deliveries.

He said the Chevy will outpull his Ecoboost all day, while getting way better gas mileage.

The Ecoboost was working and in boost all the time, sucking back the gas, where onc ethe Chevy is up to speed it just pulls.

Yes funny....
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Looks like I upset the ford fanboys.

I’m just telling you what he told me the other day when we were talking about it.

He said he can go about as far on a tank of gas on the ford as he does with the chev, but the ford has 130L tank compared to the 110L chev.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Ask anyone who has pressed a wheel bearing out of an aluminum spindle. They may not rust but they do corrode. And it is way worse with the liquid calcium crap they use on the roads now. And do you really think it will last 15 years. Maybe if you do not drive it and park it in your garage. Face it they are all junk no mater who builds them. Just pick your poison your comfortable with. They are in the business of selling autos not in the business of making antique. How do you sell more auto’s? Answer: just don’t make them last so long.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Looks like I upset the ford fanboys.

I’m just telling you what he told me the other day when we were talking about it.

He said he can go about as far on a tank of gas on the ford as he does with the chev, but the ford has 130L tank compared to the 110L chev.
Couldnt give a ****....
Owned both within last 2 years.
Know exactly what they can do and what they get for mpg
Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Ask anyone who has pressed a wheel bearing out of an aluminum spindle. They may not rust but they do corrode. And it is way worse with the liquid calcium crap they use on the roads now. And do you really think it will last 15 years. Maybe if you do not drive it and park it in your garage. Face it they are all junk no mater who builds them. Just pick your poison your comfortable with. They are in the business of selling autos not in the business of making antique. How do you sell more auto’s? Answer: just don’t make them last so long.
Yup what he said.
Anyone who thinks Ford solved their well known rust problems is in for bad news.
It might help If Ford actually painted their vehicles a little better. Most people dont realize the horrible finish on Fords. We actually had numerous customers complain that our paint doesnt look like Fords. Its actually because we literally can not paint vehicles so poorly
Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The aluminum bodies are a joke.
Quote:
...flexing while being drove...
Quote:
...Or holes in box floors from heavy objects being dropped.
Quote:
I highly doubt you can show me an experienced tech that fixes the aluminum Fords daily that will tell you they are as solid as the steel ones.
Quote:
It's actually because we literally can not paint vehicles so poorly
I'm curious, did your wife run away with a employee of a Ford dealership or was he from corporate?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned

Lol
Truth hurts huh?
If you fixed Fords you would have ran into the same things!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Lol
Truth hurts huh?
So, just so I'm clear, you work/worked at a Ford dealership, and while there, you fixed alot of Fords?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm curious, did your wife run away with a employee of a Ford dealership or was he from corporate?
Like I said, I have absolutely zero experience pulling, or anything more than driving Fords in and out of the shop. Most Ford customers love their trucks. My old man was a Ford guy, and I was too. Until I started repairing them, and dealing with them on a daily basis. I could show you literally Job after job I did for Ford as "warranty" for vehicles that arent even off the lot.
Example having to take most of the front end apart so I can line up doors with fenders on their SUV's. Or replacing boxsides on Brand new f150's because the aluminum cracked around the wheelwells. Or painting the insides of doors and jambs, because the factory missed spots. Or adjusting hoods because they hit the fenders when closing it. Or refinishing SUV tailgates because the key hole has paint flaking off it. These were issues encountered over and over.
Im just saying...
Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I have absolutely zero experience pulling, or anything more than driving Fords in and out of the shop. Most Ford customers love their trucks. My old man was a Ford guy, and I was too. Until I started repairing them, and dealing with them on a daily basis. I could show you literally Job after job I did for Ford as "warranty" for vehicles that arent even off the lot.
Example having to take most of the front end apart so I can line up doors with fenders on their SUV's. Or replacing boxsides on Brand new f150's because the aluminum cracked around the wheelwells. Or painting the insides of doors and jambs, because the factory missed spots. Or adjusting hoods because they hit the fenders when closing it. Or refinishing SUV tailgates because the key hole has paint flaking off it. These were issues encountered over and over.
Im just saying...
Fair enough. It just reminded me of the guys who say they'd never get a Ford because that's all they pull out of the bush. Conveniently forgetting that at the camp they were at 98% of the trucks on-site were Ford, so yea, that is going to be what you pull out most of the time.

If you worked elsewhere though, would not Honda/GM/Dodge/etc. have these minor QA issues from the factory?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM

Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

^^^^^^^ hang in there guys...just a few more days till bow season opens...lol
Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
So, just so I'm clear, you work/worked at a Ford dealership, and while there, you fixed alot of Fords?
I just wet myself laughing. Thx a lot. Boy oh Boy

Dodger
Old 08-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Im still giggling.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Lol
Truth hurts huh?
I also was a body man for oh 20 years back in the day. You really have a hate on for Fords lol. I have fixed all brands, what you seem to miss is, they all rust out in the same areas, some worse some not so bad, really depends on the owners up keep. Even the 100G Benz will rust.

Have I heard about Ford's Alum panel issues from my friends who still work in the trade? yup but not to the extent you say they have. Your in the Ford side of the trade, assume a dealer, so ya, you get to see all the warranty crap stuff. I'm a Ford guy and someone who has been in the trade and painted vehicles. I wouldn't say Ford has terrible finishes from what I seen. What kind of finish do you expect from mass produced facility and a robot? Light coverage and peeling paint has plagued many brands over the years. Seems like fit and finish control has slipped at the factory. Ya they can engineer some horrible part removal to get at another part, seen that 20 yrs ago. One thing the Japanese have us beat on when building vehicles.

Sorry for the derail OP, Uncles have Eco Boosts, pull skid steer etc and love them. I rented one to pull my 84, 24 ft Trailer(5000lbs). Loved it, like it wasn't there. Trailer did push the truck a bit and it ate the fuel. Not meant for bigger towing but for a cargo trailer here and there, you will love that truck.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough. It just reminded me of the guys who say they'd never get a Ford because that's all they pull out of the bush. Conveniently forgetting that at the camp they were at 98% of the trucks on-site were Ford, so yea, that is going to be what you pull out most of the time.

If you worked elsewhere though, would not Honda/GM/Dodge/etc. have these minor QA issues from the factory?
Honestly not like this.
I also spent a substantial time working for chev and of course there were always warranty issues, but not like I saw at Ford. Not even close. It was constant. Salesman trying to get us to fix something last minute before the buyer noticed them, or after they said, to fix it or they werent buying it.
For the amount you spend on a new Ford. Even say for an explorer, you can take the same amount and go buy a BMW, or pretty much anything else. I know for a fact these "minor QA issues" as you call them dont happen. Go look at the finish on a Mercedes or a BMW, or even a Honda. Ford doesnt even come close when comparing fit and finish.
You might consider these minor issues, but for that kind of money, I dont want to have to fix "these minor issues"
Just as we would say after seeing and laughing at these new vehicles..."but its military grade"
lmao
Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I just wet myself laughing. Thx a lot. Boy oh Boy

Dodger
Ahhh
You must be "that guy" that has his Ford back at the shop for a wind whistle every 3 weeks that likes to stand there and watch someone fix your vehicle, because you dont have the foggiest idea of how to fix anything.
LOL
Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Ahhh
You must be "that guy" that has his Ford back at the shop for a wind whistle every 3 weeks that likes to stand there and watch someone fix your vehicle, because you dont have the foggiest idea of how to fix anything.
LOL
Think its time to let this go my friend, every post makes you look more foolish
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM

You know what car salesmen say? Good Bad or Indiferent there is an ass for every seat. Never seen car, truck, suv that they can’t sell. It’s like300 win meg vs 338 vs 270 etc. Some like some, some like one, some like non. Never ending argument and no winners or losers
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 AM

My wife and kids pull a three horse trailer with living quarters up front. Only have two horses plus gear inside. 2016 EB handles it no problem. I agree if pulling on a regular basis buy a HD 3/4 or one ton diesel, just makes sense. I always laugh when guys worry about mileage when towing.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Im just saying...
Here's a little secret. The Chevys have lots of issues too. You couldn't go to any tranny shop and not find a chev sitting on the hoist. Even the all mighty Allison has lots of issues. Dodge you can't keep the check engine light off on them. So they all have they're issues. But as far as pulling the EcoBoost will eat the 6.2l chev, and fuel mileage will be pretty close in comparison.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 AM

My2012 Ecoboist would pull like ten men , fuel was about 14L per100, pulling trailer it went to 22-24 Lper100
Lots of power but not as good and not as good mileage as the 8 cylinder I have in my 2011
Cat
Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My2012 Ecoboist would pull like ten men , fuel was about 14L per100, pulling trailer it went to 22-24 Lper100
Lots of power but not as good and not as good mileage as the 8 cylinder I have in my 2011
Cat
haha like 10 men it has been years since I heard that one. I heard '10 good men could outpull a Chev 350 on dry pavement' lol.

I will stick with a diesel for towing duties if the trailer is anywhere near the weight of the truck or over. If I am pulling the 6x6x10 or quad trailer the 4.6 5.4 or 3.5tt can pretend to be a real truck.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Love these towing rants:
Most people figure if the rear bumper ain't touching the ground they are good to go....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.