Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
What I don’t understand is the need to use the term hunting for any illegal activities? Why label fellow outdoorsmen that hunt legally with poachers?

There are rants on here weekly of people who seem to exaggerate stories to make it seem like something with the details give at the time is wrong. Everyone entitled to an opinion and by rights should have one but as outdoorsmen we need to start sucking it up if it’s not your way. Hunters hunting however they choose as long as it’s legal should be called hunters. If it’s illegal they are poachers, it’s pretty simple.

I bet most if not everyone has a cell phone, program this number 1-800-642-3800 and report the poachers. Here is the website with a little checklist of the details that you should try to get.http://www.reportapoacher.com/index....ort-a-poacher/

Alberta Bigbore and huntinstuff posts were bang on
That may indeed be the problem.

If so, we have another problem.

The term poacher, or poaching covers a lot of illegal activity. So how then does one describe a poacher who uses a vehicle as his primary tool, without having to type a whole line of words?

And why must the term road hunter encompass all activity that is associated with hunting, vehicles and roads?

As I said, off the net, at least around here, Road Hunter seems to always refer to some sort of illegal or undesirable hunting activity.
I don't know if that's the way it is used in other areas but I suspect it is.

Still I get what you are saying and I don't disagree. I too use my vehicle in the course of my hunting activity, that is pretty much a given.
And I'm not happy about poachers being refereed to as hunters.
I do get it.

What I don't get is how to disassociate ourselves from those who break the law. It's not an easy matter.

Fact is, no matter what we call what we do, it does fit the definition of hunting, and illegally taking an animal can also fit the dictionary definition of hunting.

In other words, it is no grammatically incorrect to call a poacher a hunter, nore a person who uses a vehicle illegally when hunting, a road hunter.

We can chose a different term and use it, but it is unlikely that off the net, people will follow our lead.

And first of all, we have to come up with a word or a couple of words that work and Poacher simply doesn't cut it. It's not descriptive enough.

In the mean time, arguing and angry exchanges serves only to compound the problem.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Really??

My one hunting partner was in a fire 4 years ago. Lost most of his right foot. All the fingers on his right hand. Spend 6 months in the burn unit and 6 months more in the Glenrose learning how to live. He lost %60 of his lung capacity and is extremely sensitive to heat and cold.

All he wants to do is hunt. So we hunt. He got all the disabled hunter permits he was eligible for. He got permission on tons of land. I drive him from place to place. We don't use rifle scopes to check things we. Our fathers taught us better than that. We don't chase game with the truck.

We hunt legally pretty much from the truck.

If we did not " road hunt " he would not have had the drive to recover from being burned.

So get stuffed. Why are you hiding in the bush close enough to the road to be seen?

My wife took a nice white tail buck on land we had permission on. While the kids ( 3 and 5 )and I watched the deer come in to the field and surround where she was hiding until the buck gave her a shot. We did that from the truck too.

I walked 12 miles opening day in an area where I have to carry out anything I shoot.

I will legally hunt my way. You do it legally your way. Other than that who are you to pass judgement on me? Or my reasons for choosing a legal manner to hunt?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Catagorically, anyone who is holding a valid license and is actively seeking a given species during an open season in a particular area where they have right of access can be deemed a legitimate hunter imho. The method they choose is irrelavent - as long as it's legal. My rant was directed to those that choose not to abide by the rules .. no one eles ! I thought I made that reasonably clear in my previous posts. If not, my apologies. There are darn few of us that don't spend some time hunting the roads.

Like most of you I see the huge downside to hunting as those jerks that deliberately and blatantly break a lot of rules, with most (but not all) of the crap happening along, or adjacent to, the roadsides. They are are giving all legitimate hunters a bad name and are messing things up in general .

I got my set-up busted by one of those freakin trespassers the other day. Still have the hangover I guess. Maybe I'll get over it.

Geta Big one !
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Fact is, no matter what we call what we do, it does fit the definition of hunting, and illegally taking an animal can also fit the dictionary definition of hunting.
For me it is very simple, hunting in a vehicle is fine, as is hunting on an atv. As soon as you use one of these or any other `tools`we use while hunting in an illegal manner it now becomes poaching.........pretty simple.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
And first of all, we have to come up with a word or a couple of words that work and Poacher simply doesn't cut it. It's not descriptive enough.
There are a few other terms, including "trespasser", but since trespassing is now connected to the legality of possession of an animal in the wildlife act, the truth is that they are "poachers".

"Poaching" by it's definition is "illegal hunting or fishing", whether by use of illegal actions or illegal means.

Therefore, loaded firearm in a vehicle = poacher, trespassing while hunting = poacher, 9 ducks in possession = poacher, 49cm Walleye where a 50cm is required = poacher, 'mistaking' a grizzly for a black bear and taking a shot at it = poacher.....
Old 11-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
Gotta love the guys geared up from head to toe in complete camo outfits, Pack in a truck until its full and then drive around for days on end and whine because the deer are really spooky when they see their 4wheeled blind in motion..

I had my wife make me a set of camo pants and jacket out of an old seat cover. Now the deer just stand there dumbfounded because they can't see anyone driving.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM

This thread stays open for now but will be watched closely, keep it civil as several posters already have plenty of time to hunt
Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Roadhunting has it's place,ie;24 beer is a pain to carry into the woods but my truck never complains about the extra weight...and some days it's just simply too windy to roll a lefty in a treestand but truck is always warm and windproof.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
There are a few other terms, including "trespasser", but since trespassing is now connected to the legality of possession of an animal in the wildlife act, the truth is that they are "poachers".

"Poaching" by it's definition is "illegal hunting or fishing", whether by use of illegal actions or illegal means.

Therefore, loaded firearm in a vehicle = poacher, trespassing while hunting = poacher, 9 ducks in possession = poacher, 49cm Walleye where a 50cm is required = poacher, 'mistaking' a grizzly for a black bear and taking a shot at it = poacher.....
Okay. it's pretty clear that no one wants to admit there is a elephant in the room.

That's fine with me. I'm getting on in years, I have no doubt that hunting will survive longer then I will.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Had to clean thread out and infract last chance to keep this on point
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Heard of one that got the F&W called on him north of Beaver Mines last week that shot a deer from the 507 and proceeded to cross the fence, drag it back and load it guts and all inhis truck and take off.. Guess they didn't figure on getting called in... I know they probably only get a Trespassing at best, but hopefully they learn a little...
Called in a plate this afternoon to the landowner for a one truck that was on private land.. The landowner had said that he had given the 5 of us permission and that they didn't have it.. Not sure what he is going to do about it, but at least he is aware.. Doesn't help that this group of "hunters" decided to take 4 shots at a herd of elk at about 700 yards, then closed the gap to 400 yards and took 3 more only to miss all 7 shots...

Not being the "you need to hunt my way or else" guy, but I have been going out for years asking for permission and am grateful to the landowners for allowing me onto their property.. Those that just drive in and shoot what they want, because they see someone else walking on the land and assume that everyone must be allowed in, are just making it harder and harder for those that ask to gain access...Lots of local landowners have brought out chains and locks for their gates and are limiting hunters..
Best of luck to all....
Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 AM

I've read most of this thread . . . . . . the 4 wheeled road hunter have the option to use a diff mode of travel. Depending on the hunt . . . . . saddle a horse! I like to get away from the "rubber hunters" AKA Road hunters. . . . . as far as I can. My dad coined the term rubber hunter many years ago and it has stuck with me ever since. Have to laugh.