Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 08:47 PM

Default Longest instinctual kill

Hey all you bad-asses out there.

I'm curious about what was your longest instinctual kill. I'm new into this instinctual archery hunting with a recurve. I'm comfortably in the boiler room for an elk at 20 yds.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT948 View Post
Hey all you bad-asses out there.

I'm curious about what was your longest instinctual kill. I'm new into this instinctual archery hunting with a recurve. I'm comfortably in the boiler room for an elk at 20 yds.

50 yards on a moose, complete pass through, went 15 yards. Shot a few at 5-10 yards but average on elk and moose is between 12-18 yards....
Old 07-21-2021, 09:23 PM

Default From my memory

Back in the 80’s an owner of the now long gone Archers Den in Edmonton took a Moose at 80 yrds if my memory serves me correct. His initials are D.H. And for some reason I’m thinking it was a “ Dyna-bow”... 1 cam... 1 recurve limb.
My apologies if I totally screwed this up. He was an unbelievable archer and a great mentor to many. I believe it was out of sight range and arrowed as you asked for....instinctively.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:44 PM

Instinctive? No sights no aiming technique.
I took 2 white tails in 2 minutes at 40 yards. I’ve shot a few at 30 yards but 40 is actually a sweet spot for me. Fred bear routinely shot long distance hunting shots…but things and ethics were a bit different in those days.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:31 AM

27 steps on a bull moose
Old 07-22-2021, 09:28 AM

I haven't killed many critters with my recurve. Longest shot to date was 14yds on a moose, 12yds on a whitetail. I wish I could consistently make long shots like others can.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM

I used to shoot hundreds of arrows weekly back then as well as compete at 3D shoots every weekend so was very comfortable with my set up. In areas where I hunt now its very tough closed in terrain so closer shots are the norm. My bow used to come with me every where and would sting up and loose a few arrows just for the fun of it....Beauty of instinctive shooting is; if you've done it a lot you've engrained it in your mind and your mind instinctively remembers or recalls what you've trained it.

Another trick that I used and was recommended was visualization. I used to carry a red poker chip and would pull it out of my pocket before a shot and close my eyes and try to visualize my arrow in flight. I got to the point where I wouldn't have to pull the poker chip out and could visualize the chip and arrow flight, whether it was on a dandelion, chipmunk, stump or other target. May sound corny but it worked for me.......
Old 07-23-2021, 07:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

20 yards on a beauty mule deer...guessed the area wrong where he bedded down and made a stalk on where I thought he was he busted out below me at 10 yards....I was at full draw and at 20 he stopped as the arrow was on its way...he cow kicked and bolted to the bottom of the coulee...dead as dead could be

to this day I still don't remember exacts but everything came together in one fluid motion.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 AM

The question is supposed to be “how close can you get?” It’s fun to hear stories of long shots but I sure prefer close to long.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
20 yards on a beauty mule deer...guessed the area wrong where he bedded down and made a stalk on where I thought he was he busted out below me at 10 yards....I was at full draw and at 20 he stopped as the arrow was on its way...he cow kicked and bolted to the bottom of the coulee...dead as dead could be

to this day I still don't remember exacts but everything came together in one fluid motion.
What kind of bow was it?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
What kind of bow was it?

It was a Jennings Sonic XLR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...