Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Default shooting small game while big game hunting

hi, I was wondering if anyone carries something like a lightweight .22 for shooting rabbit and such while out deer hunting, someone told me it is illegal but I cant seem to find anything stating that in the regs with the exception of having more than one shotgun while hunting waterfowl.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Nothing illegal about it,it’s totally acceptable .
The only issue is, unless you are in some sort of vehicle it is a bit of a pain to pack two rifles .
Many people use a legal air pistol, sling shot , etc.
I never bother because most of my hunting is on foot .
If I am traveling however I always have a shotgun with me as well as my big game rifle in the truck or boat with me .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-12-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Definitely not illegal, I find though that if you are big game hunting focus on big game and likewise if you are small game hunting, the only time I ever bring a small game rifle with me big game hunting is when I’m setting up a hunt camp with buddies, that way some tasty grouse find their way into the pot for dinner every night!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nothing illegal about it,it’s totally acceptable .
The only issue is, unless you are in some sort of vehicle it is a bit of a pain to pack two rifles .
Many people use a legal air pistol, sling shot , etc.
I never bother because most of my hunting is on foot .
If I traveling however I always have a shotgun with me as well as my big game rifle in the truck or boat with me .
Cat
awesome, I figured it was good too go, I have been hunting thickets but during the travel (on foot) between thickets I often see grouse or rabbits in the thinner brush without even really trying to look for them. i have a 10/22 and was thinking of throwing it in a knox axiom stock and getting a 12.5" fluted barrel from dlask, should wind up at 3.6lbs and EXACTLY 26.5" long with the stock collapsed (federal crimes aren't my bag). that on the side of my day bag isn't that much of a hassle to carry. but a pump up air pistol sounds allot cheaper, and quieter! even if the .22 is good out a little further with subsonics
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

There is one case where you can't have 2 guns.
-have more than one shotgun, for personal use, at any time while hunting migratory game birds unless each shotgun, in excess of one, is unloaded and disassembled or unloaded and cased.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:17 PM

was out hunting for deer today... saw a lot of grouse , but no deer... wish i had a .22 , look up hammond game getter

http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/
Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
was out hunting for deer today... saw a lot of grouse , but no deer... wish i had a .22 , look up hammond game getter

There is a guy that goes to the Calgary, Edmonton, and some of the BC gun shows. He is an older guy with glasses, only ever one table.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Anyone here use one?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 PM

In the 70's, we always carried a "Wrist Rocket" slingshot with us while big game hunting...shot many grouse (quietly) for evening dinner. Not sure if it's legal now?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Banned

The Hammond game getter sure looks interesting. I think a more elegant solution would be a drilling with two rifled barrels and a 20 gauge barrel for the small game.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:59 PM

I carry a slingshot and ball bearings for grouse. Takes some practice to get good aim but it’s good enough to knock grouse out long enough to get up and wring the neck.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the next shot from the rifle is affected at all after the lead ball?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

I have used (on loan) the Hammond Game Getter to take grouse and rabbit with a 30.06. They work great provided you can find the correct size lead ball for your caliber, and use quality blanks. Some range time to verify the POA/POI for your chosen combination and you are good to harvest small game within reasonable range.
Regarding "quality blanks"- I know of one rifle that was wrecked when cheap, inconsistent blanks were used. One round failed to exit the barrel, the shooter thought he missed and carried on, the next shot fired was a 165 grain hunting load. Oops
I found the reload time was slow with the Game Getters, so I started carrying a 22 air pistol for small game.

ETA- we did not notice any appreciable difference in the accuracy of the rifles after shooting a few lead balls at small game.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by urban rednek; 11-12-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added note
Old 11-12-2018, 08:42 PM

I carry a little badger. Fits in the backpack nicely.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 10:53 PM

I always plug a few grouse with the bow while traveling to spots for big game, for sure wouldn't bother risking spooking an animal if carrying a rifle. 2 Minutes before I shot a doe last year I was watching two white weasles? minks? chasing a rabbit and thought about shooting it as my doe walked out behind me. Glad I got the deer over the rabbit lol. Have thought about a nice combo gun but theres nothing decent new on the market, seems the old ones are hard to come by.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong,but wouldn’t a 12.5” barrel make a 10/22 restricted?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 AM

Slingshot is a great chicken killer.

Instead of trying to carry two guns I used to have a over and under gun with a shotgun on top and a rifle on the bottom. Savage made a model 2400 that had a 12 gauge on top and a 308 on the bottom.
I also used to have an over and under with a 22 on top and a 12 gauge on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savage.jpg (30.3 KB, 82 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong,but wouldn’t a 12.5” barrel make a 10/22 restricted?
Because the rifle is still over 26" and the barrel was manufactured (not cut) at that length, it is good to go,
Think of it as semi auto henry mares leg. 12" barrel, 26.5" oal.
Thats at least according to my gunsmith and i cant seem to find anything stating otherwise.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM

So if it is legal then can I bring my dog hunting. He is there only for the upland birds and not for the elk.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:04 PM

The .308 Mauser I got from my uncle came with a type of game getter. It was a machined .308 casing that holds a .30 bullet. Only tried it once and had a terrible time getting it unchambered. I think he's had issues with it in the past, it's scratched and as a result probably slightly deformed.
My dad does use the game getter mentioned above and has had great success with it.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM

OP - I always see deer when hunting grouse/rabbits and grouse when hunting deer!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Anyone here use one?

I’ve used one for years to take lots of grouse. Awesome on backcountry sheep trips when you can pick up the odd grouse for supper. It comes with a swage that you punch the buckshot through to make an oblong pellet that fits the rifling of the barrel. The case has a stainless head drilled offset (so the pin hits the rim) that holds a Hilti blank. Push a pellet into the case and load it with a Hilti blank and good to go. For .308 cal it takes 00-buckshot and shoots at just under 900 fps with green blanks. It is pretty darn accurate but you have to determine point of impact before hand. Out of my rifle it hits 2” low at 25 yrds. And make 100% sure you check that the barrel is clear after each shot. I have had a dud blank that left a pellet in the barrel. It came out by loading another blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 08:17 PM

I also pack a small string and weight type barrel cleaner and run it through after each shot to clean out the powder residue from the blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligence View Post
OP - I always see deer when hunting grouse/rabbits and grouse when hunting deer!
lol, I am not alone.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 PM

25-06 loaded with 14 gr of trail boss and a 70 gr blits king not super loud at all and just pop a few in your pocket for when you see chickens and rabbits. the only downside is now I pack a light weight frying pan in my pack and I have to stop longer for lunch.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
25-06 loaded with 14 gr of trail boss and a 70 gr blits king not super loud at all and just pop a few in your pocket for when you see chickens and rabbits. the only downside is now I pack a light weight frying pan in my pack and I have to stop longer for lunch.

hard to call that a downside haha
Old 03-02-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Definitely not illegal, I find though that if you are big game hunting focus on big game and likewise if you are small game hunting, the only time I ever bring a small game rifle with me big game hunting is when I’m setting up a hunt camp with buddies, that way some tasty grouse find their way into the pot for dinner every night!
yes
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17 PM

This years spring goal is to develop a light weight trailboss 300wm load for chickens
Old 03-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Sometimes I have an extra arrow with a small game end.
If I'm not worried about weight I bring a little Savage folding gun.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 AM

When big game hunting, walking in our out or travelling from or to a stand, I just use my big game rifle and shoot grouse in the head/neck. Have shot probably 50 with my rifle and never messed a breast up. As far as spooking game. On more than one occasion, I have shot grouse and while retrieving the grouse a WT, black bear, moose has stepped out to look where the noise came from.