Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Your May long 2017 camping/fishing stories?

Hi,

I'm from Medicine Hat and for May long, I spent two nights camping at the Cypress Hills campground, Alberta side with the wifey.

We canoed on Elkwater lake for about 3 hours, trolling and casting here and there along the way. No bites. We casted from the marina. No dice.
Sunday morning, when our campsite was cleared, we went on Reesor lake for about 2 hours, canoeing. A few bites and movement, but no catch.

Today was Victoria day and we went fishing the SSR close to town. Wifey got a few bites, but I did catch 2 x decent-sized suckers, 5-7 pounds I'd say. Also a 20-24" pike.
We had a good enjoyable week-end, enjoying our first spring in Alberta!

Would be nice if you identify your campsites and fishing spots you've been to during this iteration of May long!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 PM

Default pigeon lake

Spent the weekend at my aunts cabin at pigeon lake. Fished off of the dock, canoed out towards the provincial park as well as taking the boat out to the middle of the lake with the cousins. altogether we landed 5 pike and 15 walleye. we (but really I) still haven't managed to pull a single whitefish out of that lake in the four years i've been fishing there hopefully i'll be able to break the curse this summer (tips on catching whitefish in pigeon lake would be greatly appreciated)

However the highlight of the weekend was reeling in 2 spoons and a crankbait that I lost last year off the dock. I'm currently in the process of removing the rust, polishing the back side and replacing the treble hooks!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned

hammered
Old 05-23-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeab_ View Post
Spent the weekend at my aunts cabin at pigeon lake. Fished off of the dock, canoed out towards the provincial park as well as taking the boat out to the middle of the lake with the cousins. altogether we landed 5 pike and 15 walleye. we (but really I) still haven't managed to pull a single whitefish out of that lake in the four years i've been fishing there hopefully i'll be able to break the curse this summer (tips on catching whitefish in pigeon lake would be greatly appreciated)

However the highlight of the weekend was reeling in 2 spoons and a crankbait that I lost last year off the dock. I'm currently in the process of removing the rust, polishing the back side and replacing the treble hooks!

nice recovery on the gear! Never catched whitefish here, only know they have a small mouth, so you have to use small tackle.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
hammered
Well, there was the liquor ban in effect at Cypress Hills for long week-end. So I behaved!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Didn't go fishing, went catching

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeab_ View Post

not too much experience on pigeon but wire worms with small green or glow beads floater sliding egg sinker deep water need boat or find spot where u can cast to deep water from shore mud rock or sand bottom with some weeds
Old 05-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Went to Snipe Lake to do some fishing with a friend and wasn't disappointed. We each caught about 15-20 fish over 2 days.

We were trolling not too far from the shore and I hooked into a nice walleye. As I got it closer to the boat I could tell it was going to be my best fish of the weekend. I brought it closer to the boat and as I reached down to grab it, it spit the hook violently. I was super bummed.

We continued trolling for about 5 mins and I told my buddy I was going to turn around to try and catch it again and he laughed at me. We got back to the spot and I joked about catching it again on my first cast... and Boom! There it was, back on my line, same exact fish. I went from bummed to happy in less than 5 mins. Good story for the boys and a great weekend.