Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Insight Genesis

Curious if anyone has used the Insight Genesis for their Lowrance units to make their own lake maps. Does it do a nice accurate job and can you store all your lakes on an external chip?

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM

It's only just been released so the only people that have likely had a chance to use it are early testers and maybe a few southerners who have open water year round. Chase Parsons is going to be at Bass Pro next weekend. The "Next Bite" gang are sponsored by Lowrance so I'm sure he's tried it. I'll ask him if I get a chance.

Mud
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM

thanks

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Some guys have been doing this for years, without the official Lowrance or Humminbird products using PC connect, a solid state drive and/or combination of any way to get your data exported from the head units.

I have been waypoint reference pointing my drop offs and creating my own contour maps, trolling trails and paths and storing, modifying and using the data for years. Now the unit will let all this stuff communicate.

With new innovations from both leading marine electronics manufacturers, this will now be available, and much easier to use, with the release of these products.

My 2013 boat, which should be here soon, will have exclusively humminbird and I will be running all sorts of other things like the new MK Terrova ipilot link, cannon link, multiple heads, Ethernet, etc...

I am happy to see this technology modified and presented to the public.

Accurate Maps is what we need. Having a way to update and overwrite is a BIG jump.

I went with Humminbird, after being a long time Lowrance guy, because of the innovations and compatibility of the on board products.

We all know how crappy and inaccurate the resident maps are on Navionics.

Lakemaster, has zero lakes for us out here, so it does not even aspire to crap for me.

This should be awesome now. The more these guys are at war - the better it will be for us consumers - nothing fuels innovation faster than competition.