Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you for or against commercial netting
For 29 25.00%
Against 87 75.00%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
You assume a few things about a person who you do not know. Thanks for your judgement upon my character stranger. Either way, I started what I was looking for, a discussion on the perceptions of commercial netting to educate myself in the opinions of others. Some good points have been made and some interesting thoughts as well.

To those who say commercial netting has no economic benefit and that there is no one supporting themselves from commercial fishing, just ask the people who include fishing as part of their income, and think about the fact that they get to earn a living by spending time on the water catching fish. It's not the same as rod and reel, I'll admit that but it is still fishing and I'd enjoy the opportunity to do something similar. Though I'm more inclined to guiding/lodge operations then netting.

I am of the opinion that slipper skippers are wrong. If you own a quota, or a license then you should be the one to use it, not lease/sell it out.
Good point, There is over 400 k that is income for the people who fish primrose in pierceland and goodsoil, not all profit but theres alot of people who use this as part of there income, Some gross 40k some more some less,
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Default commercial fishing

I take no issue with the fact that there are people who derive a portion of their income from commercial fishing. However I was referring to fishing in Alberta. In a province such as ours, where we are challenged for fishable water, why are we squandering our resources? Sometimes in life people are forced to make decisions. If your business, no matter which industry you are involved in no longer serves a purpose you move on. For our government to continue to support a dying industry when there is no longer a reason for it to exist is ridiculous. Other provinces to the east who are blessed with fishable water can make their own decisions. My views are not anti- commercial fishing. They are based on resource conservation. If your Father and / or your Grandfather commercial fished, I can understand why you would like to continue this tradition. I admit to being intrigued by the whole netting process. The simple fact is with todays transportation networks and storage methods commercially caught fish is available to the population of Alberta from other areas of Canada where the resource can withstand the additional pressure.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM

not to mention the majority of the fish commercially caught in Alberta are shipped to Winnipeg and exported elsewhere. THe economics make no sense, the value of the commercial fishery compared to the recreational fishery is minute, and the commerical fishery takes sportfish away from the rec anglers, putting the sportfisheries at risk to satisfy an unsustainable industry.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Think you should change the title on your thread, as you obviously have no clue about netting a lake and don't care, it's around about way to bash the oil sands and the oil co's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
You assume a few things about a person who you do not know. Thanks for your judgement upon my character stranger. Either way, I started what I was looking for, a discussion on the perceptions of commercial netting to educate myself in the opinions of others. Some good points have been made and some interesting thoughts as well.

To those who say commercial netting has no economic benefit and that there is no one supporting themselves from commercial fishing, just ask the people who include fishing as part of their income, and think about the fact that they get to earn a living by spending time on the water catching fish. It's not the same as rod and reel, I'll admit that but it is still fishing and I'd enjoy the opportunity to do something similar. Though I'm more inclined to guiding/lodge operations then netting.

I am of the opinion that slipper skippers are wrong. If you own a quota, or a license then you should be the one to use it, not lease/sell it out.
Wild & Free,

Just ignore the troll. He feels any slight against O&G is a slight against himself.