Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Leave it in the bush!!!

If you shot a whitetail doe a little more than a half mile off 304ST in 312 this morning and dragged it all the way to your vehicle before gutting and then left the guts in plain view of the road you have made neighbours very angry. I have posted a similar message in previous years as it upsets me to see this unnecessary activity and I don't even live nearby. I frequently see and talk to nearby residents who walk their dogs, jog and walk that road and be assured that they are quite upset with "hunters". Any guts, hide and bones should be left in the bush where the animal is shot unless you plan on loading it all in your vehicle. The persons that granted you permission to hunt on that lease may not recreate on that road but rest assured - neighbours talk!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Seconded!

A guy told me yesterday of moose "leftovers" in plain view (might have been the side of the road?) right around Bragg Creek. People were talking, complaining to the MLA, etc. He was worried about the danger of a bear coming out and sitting on it while people were around.

!!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM

If it’s a chore to drag the guts back to the bush, the animal should have been left in the bush in the first place and dragged out once it was gutted, just my 2-cents.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Happened with bear guts here, it was all over the towns facebook page for a few weeks
Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Default talk away !!!!!!!!!!!big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
If you shot a whitetail doe a little more than a half mile off 304ST in 312 this morning and dragged it all the way to your vehicle before gutting and then left the guts in plain view of the road you have made neighbours very angry. I have posted a similar message in previous years as it upsets me to see this unnecessary activity and I don't even live nearby. I frequently see and talk to nearby residents who walk their dogs, jog and walk that road and be assured that they are quite upset with "hunters". Any guts, hide and bones should be left in the bush where the animal is shot unless you plan on loading it all in your vehicle. The persons that granted you permission to hunt on that lease may not recreate on that road but rest assured - neighbours talk!
seems like a lot of boo hoo the guts don"t last long in the bush or where ever some people need to get over it it happens . Just saying
Old 11-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
seems like a lot of boo hoo the guts don"t last long in the bush or where ever some people need to get over it it happens . Just saying
While this is true, (gutpile from Saturday already gone tonight), a little discretion never hurts.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Whether it makes sense or not, this is what shut down the bow-hunting zone adjacent to Canmore this year - a gut-pile beside a well used walking trail.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
While this is true, (gutpile from Saturday already gone tonight), a little discretion never hurts.
Indeed. Hunting is a privilege, not an inalienable right.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM

I personally get more upset over hunters dumping animal Hides, Carcasses and leftovers in ditches on rural roads after removing the meat..

I have seen that more often then I care to discuss..
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 PM

Angry from strolling by a gut pile with Foo Foo in a knitted onesie they plop down on the couch to watch the next episode of the Vikings.

We are messed right up.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Banned

Who in the hell drags a deer a half mile before field dressing it? It must be some sort of new exercise regime. For sure it wasn’t anyone that I know......lol.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 PM

True to the fact.. Common sense definitely ain’t so common!! Use your head man!!
Why do so many “so called HUNTERS” feel the need to be so ignorant and disrespectful??!!

Disgusted reading the crap some pull!!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Who in the hell drags a deer a half mile before field dressing it? It must be some sort of new exercise regime. For sure it wasn’t anyone that I know......lol.

Quote:
Disgusted reading the crap some pull!!
Here's an idea don't read the crap you might feel better Just saying is all .
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 AM

I shot a moose about 10 miles from the nearest road on pipeline. A year later was hunting the same area and ran into the trapper . I fired up a conversation . After a while he pointed at the spot where i had shot that moose and stated to me some a**hole had gutted a moose and left a gut pile . Just saying cant keep everyone happy!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Angry from strolling by a gut pile with Foo Foo in a knitted onesie they plop down on the couch to watch the next episode of the Vikings.

We are messed right up.
LMAO Good one!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup and then hammerhead realized he/she had to lighten the load to get it in the truck so out came the guts etc.....can't fix it.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Dragging a deer 1/2 a mile before gutting it? Hmmm
Old 11-15-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I shot a moose about 10 miles from the nearest road on pipeline. A year later was hunting the same area and ran into the trapper . I fired up a conversation . After a while he pointed at the spot where i had shot that moose and stated to me some a**hole had gutted a moose and left a gut pile . Just saying cant keep everyone happy!

Very true..
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Sounds like the kind of guy that drags his critters by the hind legs just cause it's harder?

Common sense is indeed rare...........
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 AM

I can't believe anyone on this forum would be ok with this.
It's extremely inconsiderate to do this, especially in populated areas.
We have enough anti hunters already and things like this just create even more of them.

I don't even leave bird carcasses close to where people might find them.

Yes, the pile will be gone within 2 days yes, but residents have now driven by it dozens of times, neighbors talk, and now no hunting signs go up on every quarter.

Even worse are those "hunters" who take boxes of bones, plastic bags, rubber gloves, animal hide, and dump them in the ditch as soon as they're out of town. This is an epidemic in Strathcona County. It's an annual occurrence in multiple areas around Golden Ranches.

Don't be a lazy slob, and show some darn respect!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Dragging a deer 1/2 a mile before gutting it? Hmmm
Methinks, no permission on property where critter was shot. Taking the time to gut a critter on land where you should not be increases risk of getting caught. See a lot of this every November.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Never thought of that, but makes sense if you're a crooked bugger like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Methinks, no permission on property where critter was shot. Taking the time to gut a critter on land where you should not be increases risk of getting caught. See a lot of this every November.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
angry from strolling by a gut pile with foo foo in a knitted onesie they plop down on the couch to watch the next episode of the vikings.

We are messed right up.
lmao.....
Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM

I've never done it, nor would I. However, I dont see how a gut pile is offensive. Nature cleans it up, usually in a mater of hours.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So dose dragging a deer and guts still in tacked increases your chance of getting caught.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Haha! Super unlikely that it would be a poacher. I cannot imagine them getting out of their vehicle more than 20 feet? I would highly doubt even the most dedicated poacher would drag an animal 1/2 mile just to gut it near the road where people might stop and ask questions.

Generally speaking the simplest answer is what is correct. I would guess there was no conspiracy here. Perhaps they forgot their knife in the truck.

Also this begs the question. If you shoot an animal and it runs and dies close to a road or pathway. Are you supposed to drag your animal back into the bush to be sure no one on earth will ever see it? What if the land is wide open with little or no trees? Should you now have to bury the guts? This is pretty ridiculous.

Sounds like they weren't illegally dumped, no harm no foul IMHO.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post

Also this begs the question. If you shoot an animal and it runs and dies close to a road or pathway. Are you supposed to drag your animal back into the bush to be sure no one on earth will ever see it? What if the land is wide open with little or no trees? Should you now have to bury the guts? This is pretty ridiculous.

Sounds like they weren't illegally dumped, no harm no foul IMHO.
I would gut it where it drops peroid.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Even worse are those "hunters" who take boxes of bones, plastic bags, rubber gloves, animal hide, and dump them in the ditch as soon as they're out of town.
One of my pet peeves as well - leaving non-compostable material with the guts/bones.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
So true i have to agree lol

Here's an idea don't read the crap you might feel better Just saying is all .
Well not to sure how you read minute man because usually it has to be read prior to realizing its garbage!! Your intelligent feed back will be takin into consideration on every post I read in the future!!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Lot of extra weight to haul.

Grizz