Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Upland ammo choice

SO with all of the solid copper (unleaded) bullet followers that swear by this ammo as it does not get any lead into your meat. What are these same hunters using in shotgun for upland game? I have typically used cheap target loads, but we use all of the bones for broth the past couple years. I'm wondering if there is a non toxic option with properly sized shot for grouse at normal ranges. Also I do shoot a few older guns with full chokes not designed for steel, is there any options here such as copper plated, etc?

Thanks for any and all information.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM

You can purchase copper or nickel plated loads, but the shot is still lead. You can purchase Bismuth loads that contain no lead, and are also legal for waterfowl/migratory birds. I use Bismuth for the Wainwright sharp tail hunt, where non toxic loads are required.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:08 PM

I have used ITX,, Nice Shot and Bismuth for my hand loads in my vintage guns and it works great, the pellets are heavy enough to take down greater Canadas out of a 12 gauge muzzle loader or BP cartridge gun over decoys!
I have used it in a 28 to take ducks and also two geese that happened by during an upland hunt!
Cat
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM

You can shoot Ruffies fine with #7 or #6 steel
I have been shooting pheasants for several years with Winchester #4 1 1/6 1550s. Kills em dead if I do my part. I generally use an IC but have folded two like paper bags at 40+ with a modified choke
One significant downside...
Chew carefully or have a dental plan.
My dentist loves steel shot