Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Fishfinder cable question

Regarding the cable coming from the transducer up to the main unit:

I acquired an old hummingbird unit from my neighbor but it had the cable cut. Now it seems to have two wires inside that cable...one encased in plastic, the other is bare. But also, there appears to be a super thin metal layer which is on the inside of the rubber/plastic outer sheath surrounding the whole thing.

What is that thin metal layer for? I am guesswing it is for grounding much like the mesh sheath inside coaxial cable but I am not sure. I can obviously re-connect the plastic-encased wire...and also the bare wire...but cannot do anything with this thin foil-type layer as it is sooooo fragile.

I am trying to salvage this unit and turn it into a portable fishfinder...just wondering if by not having that foil layer connected will affect the readings being sent to the display...or will I be good to go just connecting the two wires.

Any help/info appreciated.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 05-20-2017, 06:03 PM

just buy a new transducer and save the grief.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Banned

That would be the shielding. It is typically just there to eliminaye any interference. You shouldn't need to reconnect it. ( we use similar shielded cables in Fire Alarm systems. If The cable is without it you may run into issues on busy lake when other boats are running their electronics.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
That would be the shielding. It is typically just there to eliminaye any interference. You shouldn't need to reconnect it. ( we use similar shielded cables in Fire Alarm systems. If The cable is without it you may run into issues on busy lake when other boats are running their electronics.
Thanks!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015