Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Thanks again for all the feedback and help!
Question about buying used from a private person via kijiji, does a boat come with paperwork as proof of ownership or some kind of registration that I need from the seller and weed out fishy people in case a price is too good and the boat maybe stolen?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM

The trailer itself is registered with a plate. The boat should have a pleasure craft ID on the bow. This should be registered to the seller. The motor itself has no registration criteria. Deal with it via bill of sale as well as the boat and trailer. The onus is on you to register the hull and ID number. Forms can be googled at Pleasure Craft License.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Thanks again for all the feedback and help!
Question about buying used from a private person via kijiji, does a boat come with paperwork as proof of ownership or some kind of registration that I need from the seller and weed out fishy people in case a price is too good and the boat maybe stolen?

I was skeptical about buying a used boat from a private seller as ,I don't know enough about them to make a sound judgement based on the info the seller has.

With new I get warranties, like 5 years with my outboard.

who knows what lies hidden in a used boat
they are notorious money pits.

then I get all the paperwork,

and the added piece of mind.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM

Buying new can save a lot of headaches down the road.

As for boat choice, love my ssv16. The nice thing with a basic boat is they are very easy to customize to fit your needs. I added a bimini top with side and front curtains, running a little propane heater and I've added a couple extra months on both ends of the season where the boat is comfortable to be in. Even had the wife and kid out in late Feb. this spring.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
I'm looking into buying my first fishing boat and as a previously shore only fisher I have loads of questions about fishing from a boat to avoid all sorts of trouble before getting into it.
Can anyone recommend a dealer between Calgary and Red Deer that might also sell used boats with staff that can offer more info than basic boat and motor specs just looking for a sales commission? That can explain the different pro's and con's of the different boat types and things like that? I'd rather pay a little more in the end and get proper information from experienced people than just looking for the cheapest deal.
Thanks in advance.
Hey Imagehunter,

Lots of good advice on here so far, I would not be scared to buy a used boat, lots of good ones out there. If I was buying used, and I have before, if you want peace of mind, take it to a reputable boat shop, and have a buyer's inspection done, they will check the boat and motor, trailer, etc. Small price to pay, and you can save thousands over a new boat price. Im quite certain that boats over 10 hp have to be registered. So all used ones over 10 hp, should be then & along with all the paperwork, etc. Im sure you can have a search done to see if it has been stolen before, etc at the registry office.

I would check out Europa Canopy And Marine in Edmonton, talk to Daryl ( owner). I bought my last used boat from him, his own personal Mirrocraft laker 16'. Has a 20" transom, along with extra bracing in that area, very solid safe boat, stable deep boat. I ended up putting a 50hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on, and when you have 4 adults and the dog, and all tackle, lots of power, and under the max weight rating still!

He gave me a smok'n deal that I could not pass up. Its a very deep stable safe boat. He might even have a good used one(s)! http://www.europacanopy.com/
15915 - 116Ave Edmonton Alberta T5M3W1
(780) 2379757

Happy Fishing !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iPhoto Library.JPG (150.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05975.JPG (92.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06608.jpg (65.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06636.jpg (26.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by KUDUHNTR; 05-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Thanks again for all the feedback and tight lines everyone this weekend
Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM

Checkout StarCraft boats from shipwreck marine, I bought mine at the show, but they were cheaper and you got more for your money than a lot of other places I looked at, and I looked for 6 years before I bought mine. I got a StarCraft 168 Renegade and love it, lots of room for the four of us.