Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Sako A7 in 7mm-08 or Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM?

Crap... deciding on a first centerfire rifle is hard. Thought I would run this by you good folks to see what input you may have.

I am a new shooter/hunter and right now I own a CZ 452 that I love to hike with and practice shooting. This new rifle will be bought for backpack hunting mule deer and elk with dreams of sheep (some truck hunting as well, but that will not be primary use). After the season, it will still be strapped to my pack as I go scouting and shooting in the mountain WMU's.

Both the Sako A7 in 7mm-08 or Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM will meet my needs/wants I am sure - low recoil, light with true short action that feels great in the store, stainless, just fall within my budget, can order them within a week, magazine for when truck hunting and getting in/out vehicles, and they feel like quality units.

Strengths of Sako - 7mm-08 may be more flexible as I can apparently run a heavier bullet for larger game and the rifle itself feels more substantial in my hand.

Strengths of Kimber - 6.5CM seems to be the hot thing and more ammo choices down the road may be available, it also may have a slight edge for target shooting. The Kimber is also reaaaaly light.

When I shoulder both rifles it is hard for me to tell which is better for fit without a scope. My line of vision is definitely higher on the Kimber and feels like I may need taller rings - the Sako nestles in nicely but may need a cheekrest.

Thanks for any opinions... serious and otherwise.

Matt
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 AM

kimber
Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
kimber
OK, maybe I am over thinking this.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
kimber
^^^I'm with him^^^
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Why not consider a Sako Roughtech Pro in the 6.5 CM ??
Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Cost. About $400 more. I am tempted, but hard sell to the other interested party.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 AM

No contest, Sako A7 and don't think twice. I used to own an A7 soft touch stainless in 30-06 and it was a good shooter and I felt the stock was a lot stiffer and better designed than those on cheaper rifles.
Mine came with a cheap burris scope and rings mounted on weaver bases, but I replaced the scope and bought one piece Talley lightweight rings (browning a-bolt rings fit the A7) and threw out the weaver bases. It's a very friendly rifle for scope mounting, with a low bolt lift and no need to deal with inflexible proprietary rings and bases like its big brother Sako 85.
I'm not sure if you have a scope picked out, but with the 90 degree bolt lift of the Kimber, many scopes with larger diameter eyepieces simply will not mount low enough to be comfortable, this might sound trivial, but if you end up finding a scope that you love, and it doesn't work right with your rifle, you'll end up changing rifles.... been there more than once myself.
I've never fired a Kimber hunter, but I've played with them in store, the stock is far inferior to the A7, especially if you buy the roughtech version, the barrel is a thinner profile which will make range time less fun for sure, and I hate the blocky plastic magazine with its cheezy plastic release tab.
In short, scopes will mount lower on the A7, the stock is superior, the magazine is way better, it has a slightly heavier, but still sporter weight barrel, and you can expect better accuracy from the A7.

I sold mine because I have too many rifles and synthetic stocks don't really excite me so it never got used much.

I will say, Kimber makes several rifles I would definitely own, but they are priced much higher than the Hunter, which is a budget gun along the lines of a Ruger American, or Winchester XPR, but without the budget price.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 AM

I see people recommending Kimber, are you guys familiar with the Hunter model? It's not the same as a mountain ascent or Montana, the magazine alone is a deal breaker in that price point, not to mention the stock.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
^^^^^I'm with him

or the A7 708 like this with some mods...this is one gun I'll never sell.

Last edited by CNP; 05-26-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 AM

I have the A7 roughtech pro in 308. Very accurate rifle. Trigger is decent. I like the mag function on these. You can load from top without dropping mag. To release the mag have to push up on it. Makes it harder to accidentally drop out. Another feature is 3 position safety, remove a loaded round with safety on if needed. Short bolt lift is a bonus as well.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:44 AM

I've had multiple A7s and many, many Kimbers. Get the Kimber. IMO, the best value in a pure hunting rifle. Better trigger. Lighter. Same accuracy guarantee.

A plastic stock is a plastic stock.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
No contest, Sako A7 and don't think twice. I used to own an A7 soft touch stainless in 30-06 and it was a good shooter and I felt the stock was a lot stiffer and better designed than those on cheaper rifles.
Mine came with a cheap burris scope and rings mounted on weaver bases, but I replaced the scope and bought one piece Talley lightweight rings (browning a-bolt rings fit the A7) and threw out the weaver bases. It's a very friendly rifle for scope mounting, with a low bolt lift and no need to deal with inflexible proprietary rings and bases like its big brother Sako 85.
I'm not sure if you have a scope picked out, but with the 90 degree bolt lift of the Kimber, many scopes with larger diameter eyepieces simply will not mount low enough to be comfortable, this might sound trivial, but if you end up finding a scope that you love, and it doesn't work right with your rifle, you'll end up changing rifles.... been there more than once myself.
I've never fired a Kimber hunter, but I've played with them in store, the stock is far inferior to the A7, especially if you buy the roughtech version, the barrel is a thinner profile which will make range time less fun for sure, and I hate the blocky plastic magazine with its cheezy plastic release tab.
In short, scopes will mount lower on the A7, the stock is superior, the magazine is way better, it has a slightly heavier, but still sporter weight barrel, and you can expect better accuracy from the A7.

I sold mine because I have too many rifles and synthetic stocks don't really excite me so it never got used much.

I will say, Kimber makes several rifles I would definitely own, but they are priced much higher than the Hunter, which is a budget gun along the lines of a Ruger American, or Winchester XPR, but without the budget price.
This actually resonates with me quite a bit. I have gone through these challenges with my CZ 452 and it was a chore getting a scope and ring combo that would work due to the high bolt throw.

Matt
Old 05-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Thanks all, almost didn't post this as I realize that many of these choices are apples and oranges, but I have a bunch to consider with mags, bolt throw, stocks, etc... when I go look at them one last time before committing.

It is hard not to get swept into the cartridge craziness and debates, but I think either of these will serve me well for my purposes.

Matt
Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:

How is the Kimber Hunter stock inferior to the A7 stock?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-26-2018, 04:38 PM

A7 for me. Mines accurate and well built.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How is the Kimber Hunter stock inferior to the A7 stock?
It's not as stiff, uglier, and has a less "grippy" finish to it. Of course this is somewhat subjective, but I think if you put them side by side, most would choose the Sako stock easily.

Just my opinion, and I do like Kimber rifles, except for the bolt lift.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:06 PM

You are right. It is subjective.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 PM

Yes, some people possibly prefer a shiny, slippery, flexible plastic feeling stock. ��
Old 05-26-2018, 09:31 PM

If it were my money I would find a used montana for about the same price. In fact I’ve done just that a few times now. I would also keep my eyes open for an 84m or 84l in the classic or classic select but you didn’t say you were interested in wood. If I had to choose between the two options you gave, I would take the kimber.
If you do buy the hunter check the canadian tire in rocky. Last time I was in there they were $999 brand new. That said, the last time I was in there was this time last year.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, some people possibly prefer a shiny, slippery, flexible plastic feeling stock. ��
Out of curiosity how many Kimbers have you owned?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
News flash. Your A7 stock is plastic.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If it were my money I would find a used montana for about the same price. In fact I’ve done just that a few times now. I would also keep my eyes open for an 84m or 84l in the classic or classic select but you didn’t say you were interested in wood. If I had to choose between the two options you gave, I would take the kimber.
If you do buy the hunter check the canadian tire in rocky. Last time I was in there they were $999 brand new. That said, the last time I was in there was this time last year.
That is a great price. Locally, ordering in would be somewhere over $1100. I will likely buy locally just because I have been tire kicking at this same small store for awhile.

I should look used though, I am always telling others to do that for other gear. Guess I am a bit gun shy at buying someone else's problem if I do not know the seller.

Matt
Old 05-26-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
News flash. Your A7 stock is plastic.
Um, thanks for the information? I no longer have an A7 actually, and what I said was that the Kimber Hunter stock had a more plastic look and feel compared with the Sako A7 soft touch stock. Feel free to disagree, though I'm not sure if you're disagreeing, or just being snarky?

I'm sure the original poster can make up his own mind, and in the end will be the one to live with his choice.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Default kimber or A - 7

own them both and I find the A-7 IN 25-06 A little fussy what I put down the barrel and the kimber 8400 is a smooth as silk beautiful rifle that is better balanced for a 30-06 . kimber is a little bit heavier but does it ever shoot nice , my choice is the kimber .
Old 05-27-2018, 11:40 PM

I wonder if people are reading the post? It seems like some of you are comparing the A7 to the Montana. There is a big difference in the stocks between the Hunter model and the Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent.

I have an original not soft touch stock A7 and I have handled a few Kimbers and while the actions were smooth I would hesitate to say that they were smoother than the A7. Accuracy is probably a wash, although with a slightly thicker barrel and overall weight I would give a slight edge to the Sako. Also there are reports of Kimber roulette and I hear many many reports of the A7 being a laser. Do some searching and confirm for yourself if you want. 😀

Weight advantage goes to the Kimber.

The Kimber stock is definitely inferior to the Sako, when comparing the Hunter model to the A7. The A7 is much more rigid and doesn't have big seams like some cheap plastic injection molded toy. The fore end is also to thin but that's subjective.

The 3 position safety is nice, the magazine is nicer with a better release and the lower bolt throw make it an easy choice.

If it was the A7 vs the Montana I'd probably go for the Kimber especially for a mountain rifle.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 AM

Zulu... There is an accuracy guarantee with the Kimber the exact same as the Sako. They even include a test target.

I don't see anyone confusing a Hunter for a Montana.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If it were my money I would find a used montana for about the same price. In fact I’ve done just that a few times now.
Sooooooo....are you saying you currently own a few Kimbers,or you get rid of them as fast as you buy them?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
exactly what i was thinking!

browning has one like it too, xbolt pro, it may be a bit more expensive though as it has a carbon fiber stock!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:25 AM

The Browning with the carbonfibre stock is $2,300. The A7 roughtec is definitely a cut above the Kimber Hunter which is a high priced cheapo rifle

Not to be confused with the Kimber Montana which is a very nice rifle.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The Browning with the carbonfibre stock is $2,300. The A7 roughtec is definitely a cut above the Kimber Hunter which is a high priced cheapo rifle

Not to be confused with the Kimber Montana which is a very nice rifle.
I’ve owned, shot, and used both Kimbers. You?

-Billy Molls