Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Target Practice

Sorry if this is a repeat - I’ve tried searching the forum on multiple occasions but haven’t been unable to find information on license requirements for target practice on crown land.

I’m originally from New Brunswick where the rules appear to be different. In NB, you require a valid hunting license in order to discharge a firearm on both private or public land even if only for target practice.

While I’m looking into joining a range, I would like to know what my options are for target practice (rifle) on crown land such as Mclean Creek and Waiparous/Ghost River. I’m well aware there will likely be some conflict with other land users. To counter this, I would likely go during the week and perhaps quad to some more remote areas.

From what I’ve read, it is perfectly legally to target practice in these areas. I’ve encountered many people doing so. When I’ve asked about the license requirements, I’ve received mixed feedback. I’ve been told several different things:

1. You need a valid hunting license
2. You need a hunting license and discharge permit
3. You need a discharge permit only
4. You don’t need anything just obey the signage indicating distance from roads (Mclean Creek)

What are the requirements? Does it depend if it’s a valid hunting season? Any caliber restrictions? I’d be using a 308. Can you help point me to correct regulations?

I’m not planning on doing a lot of target practice. Maybe a box or two to prepare for hunting season.

Thanks for the help in advance. I’ve read a lot of post - people are super helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM

Interested to read the replies to this as well!

I have just going out with my PAL to well known shooting areas on crown, but have to admit I am just going on the basis of following the herd.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:13 AM

in those areas, there are some no shooting zones within 1km of the main roads. there is lots of signage.

all you need is a valid PAL to go out and shoot. Just find an area with a safe backstop, and no trails cutting across it.

just make sure your rifle in unloaded when your on the quad. if you are going to be going through a provincial recreation area, i believe your rifle needs to be cased as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
in those areas, there are some no shooting zones within 1km of the main roads. there is lots of signage.

all you need is a valid PAL to go out and shoot. Just find an area with a safe backstop, and no trails cutting across it.

just make sure your rifle in unloaded when your on the quad. if you are going to be going through a provincial recreation area, i believe your rifle needs to be cased as well.

Thank you - this seems to be the census from people I’ve talked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Be aware that some municipalities might have discharge bylaws as well, but those tend to be the rural/acreage areas that, while with a low density of inhabitants aren't quite urban either.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM

Even in areas without signage, the golden rule 'Know your target and what lies beyond' applies.

There. I said it.

Something else to consider is if you managed to easily get to a good shooting spot, there's a good chance other people are around. If someone wanders by, take the high ground - smile, pack up and leave politely.

And as always, be sure to clean up after yourself.

Colin