Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM

Question ATV Tires

Which ATV tires are the best in your opinion for all around performance on all types of terrain. I am looking to find that magic tire for hard and plan old deep sucking mud.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Tires

Mud Bugs are good but rough riding on hardpsck....I use the Swamp Lites on my Honda 450ES. Mud Lites would be a good one too- has centre lugs to provide smoother ride like the Swamp Lites
Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 PM

Kenda Bear Claws all the way!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM

I have tried several different tires,and the best so far have been the Goodyear Mudrunner.Mudbugs and Gators also have done well,but the Bearclaws were not at all good in muskeg.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Love my Mudbugs!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM

I have ran more sets of quad tires you can shake a stick at. Everything from 25" all the way up to 31"
I will just give you a quick summary of what I have used and think of them.

Kenda Bearclaws - Just a average tire. Average wear and not much better than most stock tires.
Maxxis Mud Bugs - The longest lasting tire I ever ran. These are great mud and snow tires. The run smooth and are super strong.
Maxxis Mudzillas - Great strong and lasting tire. Too big of lug for most people. Lots of center lug so they run smooth.
Highlifter Outlaws - The best mud tire on the market. They have wide tread spacing for good clean out. They wear quickly and round out on the rocks. One of the roughest tires. They will vibrate your forearms pretty good after a long ride.
ITP Mud Lites - Good design but have a tenancy to not hold air, rip lugs off, and puncture.
ITP Mud Lite XTR - A smooth riding radial tire. Great traction probably one of the best all round tires bade in the past 10 years.
Maxxis Bighorns - Not so good for the mud but a great trail tire. This is one of the #1 tires people use on ATVs and Side X Sides in off road cross country racing.
ITP 589s - Good mud tire, last a long time but rough riding.

So overall in my opinion it would be a tough choice between ITP Mud Lite XTRs or Maxxis Mud Bugs.

Maxxis Mud Bug

ITP Mud Lite XTR

Highlifter Outlaw

Maxxis Big Horn

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 PM

terracross, good for trails with deeps lugs (at 3/4" if memory serves me correct) for mud but definitely more a trail tire. they also climb like a billy goat. my second choice was the mud bugs more mud but still good for trail, but make sure they are the radials (ie not the ones shown in the post above)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up ATV tires

Thanks to everyone great information I will be looking at some of your suggestions. I have spider tracks on the front of my 6X6 right now they work OK but I am thinking there are better ones on the market. I have the factory tires on the rear still but will change them out as soon as the wear a little more.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 PM

I have ITP mud lites on my Grizz. Work great in mud, awesome in snow, smooth on dry trail, I had to lower the air pressure on ice but all around good rubber.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

I run Mud lites as well on my Grizzly and they seem great ! The factory tires are still brand new up on the garage shelf. I'm sure theres lots of Quad owners that have done the same, What does a guy do with New factory tires that we will never use ?? Use em on a trailer maybe?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Talk to your local dealer, i got lucky and sold 4 sets of take offs to my Honda dealer. Not sure that they will all do this, but its worth a try. I just built 4 tub trailers and used a bunch of take offs laying in a buddies garage. Good use for them.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

mud bugs all the way, last forever and never stop digging, bear claws are really good too but you have to go to the 12.5 inch wide tire to get a good lug the narrow ones are same as foctory tires the bear claw is also good as they are able to get you out of the bush when flat
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
ITP Mud Lites - ............... but have a tenancy to not hold air.
Yep, mine leak a bit over a couple months.