Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Deer Jerky Advice

So trying ground meat jerky for the first time, bought an 80L Cabela's commercial dehydrator. First batch I did for 5 hours, was good, but seemed a little dry, this batch I tried 3.5 hrs then put in oven for 10 mins at 170 deg., seems a little dry outside as well, put almost pink inside. Any suggestions out there for moist chewy jerky, not crazy dried?
I used a High Mountain Pepper and Garlic kit and mixed exactly as they said.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 PM

What temperature is it running at? I have the Excalibur and it’s at 150 if I am not mistaken. Takes about 5 hours using beef. Does deer get more dry feeling in the dehydrator due to the lack of fat? Mine normally looks a bit pink. The cure will cause that. Make sure you get it to temperature and dry to your liking.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttincircles View Post
So trying ground meat jerky for the first time, bought an 80L Cabela's commercial dehydrator. First batch I did for 5 hours, was good, but seemed a little dry, this batch I tried 3.5 hrs then put in oven for 10 mins at 170 deg., seems a little dry outside as well, put almost pink inside. Any suggestions out there for moist chewy jerky, not crazy dried?
I used a High Mountain Pepper and Garlic kit and mixed exactly as they said.
How thick are you making it?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 PM

About 1/8 1/4, just what comes out of the jerky gun.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 PM

Cool it and place in ziplocks. A few days well sealed in the fridge will help equalize the moist and dry sections.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 AM

I cook mine just til is starts to crack when bending it. It always seems to harden up after it cools so I adjust for this.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM

1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup worschesterchire, 2 tbs liquid smoke, 3 tbs brown sugar. Brush on one side prior to dehydrating.
That’s for 2 lbs of ground jerky.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:40 AM

I have made well over 300 lbs of moose and elk jerky in the last year, all ground meat as I find it easier for my old teeth to chew, make about 1/2 with the round snack stick nozzle and about 1/2 with the flat jerky nozzle, run at least one batch a week, the grandkids eat it faster than I can make it.

I have the Cabelas 10 tray dehydrator with temp control, I set it at 160 degrees for 5 hr 30 min which seems to be the best. The first batch I did was in for about 6 hrs or a little more but was to dry, I also use the cabelas jerky seasoning kits another little trick when making the ground is that I dissolve the seasoning and cure mix in 1 cup of hot water then pour it over the meat and mix it in, seems to get a move even mix without the spicy lumps in the jerky.

Anyway just 2 cents worth, by the way the kids like the Teriyaki and Hickory the best, but the cracked black pepper and garlic is kick a&&

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.