Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 02:49 PM

Default Saw this on T'man....

Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Well that's weird. I was led to believe that if you put a gun in someone's hand it would magically shoot a bunch of people.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:13 PM

While I can agree with the General premise, the high number seems rather suspect. I would like to see a genuine tally of all the rifle season hunting tags (all species) issued per season in Canada and the USA.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
While I can agree with the General premise, the high number seems rather suspect. I would like to see a genuine tally of all the rifle season hunting tags (all species) issued per season in Canada and the USA.
Not a stretch if you add in small game, migratory birds, upland, and predator hunters just in the US.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...its-in-the-us/
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Way more hunters in the US. I've hunted the midwest a lot and some of those states have upwards of 4 to 5 million licensed hunters in just one state.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
Way more hunters in the US. I've hunted the midwest a lot and some of those states have upwards of 4 to 5 million licensed hunters in just one state.
The # claim is probably just for the USA rather than USA and Canada. Put into perspective, that would be claiming that 11.15% of the entire US population was out hunting. Subtract very young kids and feeble seniors and that becomes maybe 16% of the able-bodied population. I'm just saying it seems high to me factoring in things like dense urban populations like LA and New York that would have very few hunters which would then mean there has to be an even higher level of participation elsewhere to come to such a high percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I like the approach, its just I like to back claims with real data because then the argument is irrefutable. If I'm going to debate an anti and attempt to correct their bad information, I'm going to want to do it with numbers from non-partisan sources. I managed such a thing recently by quoting numbers from the FBI Uniform Crime Report. Not numbers from the NRA or numbers from the Brady Campaign, but FBI data that's compiled by statisticians who are probably all as fussy about accuracy as Sheldon on Big Bang theory.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-05-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The # claim is probably just for the USA rather than USA and Canada. Put into perspective, that would be claiming that 11.15% of the entire US population was out hunting. Subtract very young kids and feeble seniors and that becomes maybe 16% of the able-bodied population. I'm just saying it seems high to me factoring in things like dense urban populations like LA and New York that would have very few hunters which would then mean there has to be an even higher level of participation elsewhere to come to such a high percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I like the approach, its just I like to back claims with real data because then the argument is irrefutable. If I'm going to debate an anti and attempt to correct their bad information, I'm going to want to do it with numbers from non-partisan sources. I managed such a thing recently by quoting numbers from the FBI Uniform Crime Report. Not numbers from the NRA or numbers from the Brady Campaign, but FBI data that's compiled by statisticians who are probably all as fussy about accuracy as Sheldon on Big Bang theory.
http://www.petersenshunting.com/edit...decades/273086
Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 PM

This report shows a whopping 40% and I see it doesn't include trapping....numbers might actually be higher if they factored that in.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/ne...shing-wildlife
Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Thanks Yukon, that's exactly the type of unbiased info I like to see . It looks like 2011 had 13.7 millions hunters of all types combined. I doubt the numbers have nearly tripled in the 7 year interim since so I think my gut instinct was right. Still, the number 13.7 million in terms of people out hunting is significant, though some might be using archery gear. I doubt the atlatl and spear aficionados will account for much.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk