Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM

Default What it means to be a Senior

Had a guy stop me on the street in Olds today and greet me heartily. Had a good conversation for about 5 minutes. Not a clue who he was and don't think he knew who I was either, just a couple of familiar faces.

Grizz
Old 12-04-2018, 05:32 PM

Default What it means to be a Senior

One book
One movie
Life is like the movie "Groundhog Day"
Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 PM

I've heard life can get harder as one gets older, fading memory, reduced physical strength, etc.

If I can help you out in any way, let me know.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't know if I actually qualify as a senior quiet yet but if not it's in my windshield.

I don't think my memory ability has diminished any. I've always had trouble remembering small details but no problem remembering the big picture and that hasn't changed so far as I know.

My strength is down a bit, but it's hardly noticeable, what is way down is stamina and I'm not sure if that's due to my age or my lung issues.

I think life is actually easier now in many ways. The only thing that is harder and it is much harder, is getting laid.

Another difference is that now I find I have far less tolerance for stupid quarrelsome people.

I also find that more people in my age class are approachable now.
I guess we all mellowed a bit.

I guess the biggest difference I find in people these days is just how beautiful many women over 60 are. When I was younger I did not know one woman over forty that I considered worth a second look.
Now they have to be over 90 to fall into that class.

Sure there are aches and pains that never bothered me before but there is also a lot to be grateful for.

For example, thirty years ago fishing in the ocean was just an impossible dream. Now I have four trips fishing off Prince Rupert to add to my fondest memories.

Just a few years ago I felt fortunate to have a weekend to just do whatever. Now I have that 365 days a year. And I have money to spend.

That is big. Real big for me. The first fifteen years of my working life we had no money two days after pay day.
Even when I worked oilfield and later in logging, I had nothing in the bank at the end of the month.

Yeah life is harder for some but not for me. Aside from much reduced stamina and less then optimal eyesight, in many ways I am better off today then at any time in my life.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM

I call it my 4th time at being 16

First 16 sucked. I lived at home

Second 16 was a blur. Wow. What a blur😛

Third 16 was more concerning and a bit unnerving

Fourth 16? Omg. Blur. Way more $, friends, time off. Oh yeah baby! This is the best
Old 12-04-2018, 06:55 PM

At 70 I was doing good until I rolled a quad on July 17, 2018 and separated my shoulder. It takes things longer to heal when you are older.
The other thing that really bothers me are the friends of have lost to cancer, strokes, accidents etc.
I do not listen to the news much any more as it makes me angry and puts my blood pressure up.
The best thing is you can get up at 6 a.m. and think man I can stay home today.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
At 70 I was doing good until I rolled a quad on July 17, 2018 and separated my shoulder. It takes things longer to heal when you are older.
The other thing that really bothers me are the friends of have lost to cancer, strokes, accidents etc.
I do not listen to the news much any more as it makes me angry and puts my blood pressure up.
The best thing is you can get up at 6 a.m. and think man I can stay home today.
You rolled a quad at 70.....THATS FRICKIN AWESOME
Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
You rolled a quad at 70.....THATS FRICKIN AWESOME
Classic ^^^
Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Had a guy stop me on the street in Olds today and greet me heartily. Had a good conversation for about 5 minutes. Not a clue who he was and don't think he knew who I was either, just a couple of familiar faces.

Grizz
Same happened to me outside the bank the other day, Older gentleman stopped and told me what a nice November we had and talked about the weather then he asked me if I heard about the earthquake in Alaska, his daughter lives in Anchorage and he hadn't been able to get ahold of her. He was plainly worried and thinking the worst, so we talked for a bit reassuring him that the news said nobody was killed and only a few injuries etc, and if something did happen to her he would have heard by now telling him that no news is good news, when things like that happen people are busy dealing with the event and she will call him as soon as she can. I just hope she did. No idea who he was, but thats small towns strangers, nod or speak and wave all the time.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Quit complaining and embrace it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less than two years to go...…….can't wait...…...it's the new 16/18/21
Old 12-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I call it my 4th time at being 16

First 16 sucked. I lived at home

Second 16 was a blur. Wow. What a blur😛

Third 16 was more concerning and a bit unnerving

Fourth 16? Omg. Blur. Way more $, friends, time off. Oh yeah baby! This is the best
X2. and is beautiful!!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:13 PM

No issues with memory, eye sight or reflexes as yet. Aches and pains from old injuries are there more frequently. I find more time to spend with friends and family.

Really enjoyed 3 days at Wainwright with my son and listening to his views on the world. He has come along ways and did the majority of growing on his own.

I am much less patient with complainers, free loaders and dishonest people.

Nice to have more free time to spend with my wife, dogs and doing things I pushed aside for years. We have a dedicated companion day a week to go out and do something together. Tomorrow it will be picking up clothes and toys for the less fortunate.

Got out at least a dozen times with the new dog for upland. Had some terrific walks and successful days.

Hopefully the health stays good and I can continue on this pace for 15 + years as it is enjoyable.

All the best to all you other "old coots".

Hugh
Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
No issues with memory, eye sight or reflexes as yet. Aches and pains from old injuries are there more frequently. I find more time to spend with friends and family.

Really enjoyed 3 days at Wainwright with my son and listening to his views on the world. He has come along ways and did the majority of growing on his own.

I am much less patient with complainers, free loaders and dishonest people.

Nice to have more free time to spend with my wife, dogs and doing things I pushed aside for years. We have a dedicated companion day a week to go out and do something together. Tomorrow it will be picking up clothes and toys for the less fortunate.

Got out at least a dozen times with the new dog for upland. Had some terrific walks and successful days.

Hopefully the health stays good and I can continue on this pace for 15 + years as it is enjoyable.

All the best to all you other "old coots".

Hugh
Old injuries

No matter how you received them, the correct explanation is

“Its just an old sex injury “
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Some near senior ramblings..

The worst part is time doesn't stand still anymore. At the end of the week I think "Alright, I made it another week." Then I remember "Damn, My life is now a week shorter."
~~~~~
Oddly ...I have lived in 7 decades, two centuries and two milleniums and I really don't even feel that old. Lots has changed though. A few "ages" have come and gone. Society was improving throughout those different ages but now society seems to be regressing. The land of opportunities has become the land of delusional excesses and privilege.
~~~~~
A friend asked me if I was getting any on the side and I told him..."I didn't even know they even moved it."
~~~~~
Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act. Truman Capote
~~~~~
They say there's a good chance that you'll lose your mind when you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't really miss it.
~~~~~
When I was young I would dream for what was to come. Now that I'm older I dream for what has past.
~~~~~
Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children. George Bernard Shaw
~~~~~
If I had know I would live to 100 years old I would have taken better care of myself. Eubie Blake
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Old injuries

Its just an old sex injury
I wish! LOL

Could be kinda hard to explain the mangled fingers that way?

Buddy; She had teeth where there ought to be none!!!??? Me; No she was chewing on my fingers. Buddy; Golly! She must have some wicked teeth!!!!

No I got overconfident and my saw taught me a lesson I'll never forget.
It may not sound as exciting but it's the truth.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
And tomorrow you can have the same conversation......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Good, I'm not alone!
Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 AM

I will be 77 next birthday and I know more people in the cemetery than what's still walking around. About a month ago I was doing my usual walk down the road to pick up the mail, (2 miles return) and a older couple (60ish) in a pick up pulling a horse trailer stopped just to shoot the breeze. Turns out they live on the same road but 5 miles further south. They were bringing a horse home from the Vet clinic. Almost all persons driving by will wave but, this was the first to stop and chat.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Old injuries

“Its just an old sex injury “
Not sure I want to put my knees in this category.

Q - Why are you limping?

A - It's my knees --- it's an old sex injury.

Nope Nada No way --- Generally your advice is good but I will pass on this one.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM

What it means? Free fishing licence and cheap tags.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:43 AM

seniors day at the co-op!

10 to 15 % discount at most restaurants. yup always ask,
Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Kids pointed out the sign at the Camrose Timmie's - apparently I'm pretty close to getting a free doughnut with my coffee.

Not gonna live that down any time soon.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
What it means? Free fishing licence and cheap tags.
Something to look forward to. I’m still a few years away, hope that they don’t bugger that perk up before I get there!

BW
Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Not sure I want to put my knees in this category.

Q - Why are you limping?

A - It's my knees --- it's an old sex injury.

Nope Nada No way --- Generally your advice is good but I will pass on this one.
I'd take explaining bad knees with Randy's formula over explaining mangled fingers that way.

Just sayin, , ,

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2018, 04:34 PM

I am looking forward to hiding my own Easter eggs!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-05-2018, 04:56 PM

I didn't even think I was getting older (well maybe a bit) until one day on the bus I was eyeing this cute young thing and she got up and offered me her seat

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
I didn't even think I was getting older (well maybe a bit) until one day on the bus I was eyeing this cute young thing and she got up and offered me her seat
😂😂😂

I had breakfast at Dennys with my friend and she paid the bill and noticed I got seniors discount.

I was a bit hung over but didn’t think i looked THAT bad
Old 12-05-2018, 06:57 PM

Default A good senior role model

Seeings how I get the old age pension starting this month I guess I got old. Big Brother (Artie) already weighed in on this topic and all I will add to that is I always had a dream if he got old enough I would dearly like to walk his rear off heading up to that ridge but I better give that up, it will never happen with him. What comes to my mind on this topic is my wife's dear departed grandpa who I ended up doing a lot of outdoor stuff with while he was in his eighties. Once during a never ending walk back to the truck from a hunting trip the topic naturally got to what's it like in old age. Great Poppa replied I feel just the same as a young fella or even when I started out in the fire department its just that the plumbing doesn't seem to work so good anymore! Now I'm getting what he is talking about. Mind you he was the same guy when we headed out ice fishing in 30 below weather he would roll the windows down on the truck 5 miles out from the lake so we could get acclimatized to the weather. Hmm, come to think about it Artie has a lot of these same crazy ideas. Well good health to all you old farts out there and if your like me there is nothing like a day outside in the outdoors for the old soul.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 PM
Gone Hunting

True story.

A couple of years ago I went to the drug store for something.
I get inside then forget what I was there for. So I'm standing there trying to figure out what it might have been when I become aware that someone is standing behind me.

Seems I was blocking some ladies progress cause she didn't look happy.
Now I've never been one that is quick with a comeback but for some reason it just popped into my head.

I looked at her all serious and sad like and said,

"I was fine until that darn kid called me grandpa. Then my teeth started falling out, my hair started felling out, my belly flopped over my belt and my memory went all to H E double hockey sticks."

She laughed so hard I wondered if she would wet her pants.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Old is having been there, done that, can't remember.