Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Hello

From Beautiful BC wanted to see what I'd been hearing about on other forums

Mainly hunter that shoots a little F-class now and then.

I reload and am always looking for good information.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM

Hi everyone, my name's Adam. Been a big fan of hunting, fishing, and firearms for a few years now. Been on a bunch of the other forums but looking to join a few more which landed me here. I'm from just north of Winnipeg.

Looking forward to seeing what all goes on here,
Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 AM

Default Introduction

Hello everyone, Looking at getting back into hunting, collecting a few historic arms and target shooting. Haven't hunted in over 25 years, last thing I shot was a Grouse back in the day. Hope to go hunting with my wife's family, they been wanting me to join them over the last 5 years. I know they don't think they see me as the firearms/hunting type of guy even though I grew up in Alberta, shot .22's out at friends acreages or farms, learned to ride a dirt bikes and learned to sight rifles in Spruce Grove when I was a teen. Typical childhood in Alberta right? I will thank you all now for answering all the questions I will be asking in the future since I haven't kept up to date on anything firearm related or hunting. Location: Edmonton
Old 11-03-2018, 07:45 PM

Default new to Alberta

hi! new to Alberta, just moved from Quebec this summer. this is my first year hunting waterfowl and i gotta say it is amazing. same goes for coyotes and gophers, this province is a great time.
WMU 232
Old 11-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Hello everyone. My name is Steve. I was born and raised in Edmonton and I attended the U of A for a BA in philosophy. I enjoy discussing philosophical and political topics. I believe our civilization is in decline. I dislike the urban way of life and hence I moved to rural Strathcona county. I often dream about moving to an even more remote area if I can prepare myself adequately for it. I have been hunting for a few years, fishing since I was a child, and next I'll be getting into trapping. Contrary to what some people on here have said, I don't know or think I know everything, not by a long shot. But I do know a fair bit and I'm always trying to learn more. I'm interested in a wide range of subjects. If you think I'm wrong about something I would love for you to explain why rather than just to call me names! I have a lot of respect for all of the competent people around here and elsewhere in our great province, even though we might not agree sometimes.

Cheers,
Steeve
Old 11-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Welcome Steve. You may want to be careful with having a political discussion around herein, forum rules prohibit it.

So, my son is wondering about what direction to go in his education, and he was wondering if there is good money to be made being a Philosopher....?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Welcome Steve. You may want to be careful with having a political discussion around herein, forum rules prohibit it.

So, my son is wondering about what direction to go in his education, and he was wondering if there is good money to be made being a Philosopher....?
Thanks Twisted. I've read the rules and I won't be starting or engaging in any political discussions other than things specifically related to Alberta and the outdoors.

There is no money in philosophy and the people who are drawn towards it tend not to be seeking money, but an understanding of reality and truth. Most philosophers and students of philosophy, including myself, live very frugally, within our means, and are disinterested in luxurious lifestyles.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:43 PM

I will let him know. If you can get that truth and reality worked out, I expect the world will beat a path to your doorway. Or at least keep a book on the Bestseller list. Look forward to hearing what you get figured out.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Welcome Steve,

I figure we need more philosophers these days. The openness to consider and debate ideas is more important than the ideas themselves!

As an aside, while there may be few job postings for philosophers outside of academia, I would think a philosophy degree would lend itself to a very wide range of research related positions.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

Thanks Matt! Agreed on that. Research positions would require scientific training in a field as well, but there's no reason that an intelligent person capable of rational thought couldn't obtain that with some effort, if that's what they wanted.

Twisted, unfortunately the bestsellers list tends to be dominated by... junk. Most of the great or noteworthy philosophers were pretty unpopular during their lives and only became famous in retrospect. And only a small fraction of modern people have even read or would be capable of reading such works! Still, I'd definitely like to write a book if I ever have enough to say. But not for money.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:02 PM

Default New NovaScotian

Hi All. Been into pistols over the last five years or so. Looking to start some hunting too. Hoping I can tap some knowledge.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Moves to Alberta 5 years ago from Ontario and have recently gotten into fly fishing, waterfowl and hunting in general so as any obsessed person would do I am constantly trying to learn and approve as I am mostly learning online and from books!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Hello

new to this site. hope to wheel and deal soon.

take care.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:56 PM

Default Introduction

Hey my name is William.
I’ve been hunting since I was legal to do so with my dad. Mostly deer elk and moose. I’m getting into sheep hunting so if anyone has any tips for a new sheep hunter please feel free to pm me.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default Greetings

I wish someone is going to see this. I am just want to make moment to introduce myself to this amazing forum. My name is Nicholas. I am an avid hunter and love shooting. Greetings!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Default New to AO

Good day everyone, new to the Outdoorsman forum. Looking to learn something new whilst sitting on the can in the morning, if we're going to be honest here.. HAHA but seriuosly I can't be the only one right?!

Doing agriculture in South East Alberta, you could say the forgotten corner, until the sage grouse became important all of a sudden and a currently popular "recent discovery" of Swift Fox. Feel free to inquire for my personal opinion of both those, otherwise i'll keep them to myself. Anyways, back to my intro on to the forum world. Excited to keep up to date with issues and discussions on trapping (new to the game there too) and hunting.

Thanks, and sorry if I come across total newb, its because I am..
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbkkcc View Post
new to this site. hope to wheel and deal soon.

take care.
yeah, aren't we all right.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 AM

Default Introduction

My name is Travis. I have just got into hunting and fishing this year and hope to be able to use this forum as a resource to learn more.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm from Airdrie, and have been hunting for 3 seasons, and this past season has marked my first successful one with a mule doe. I am looking forward to many more years and experiences in the field.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Default My intro.

Hi Everyone,

Been a lurker here for a while, really enjoy this forum. Have lived in Parkland County for close to 30 years, grew up in northern Alberta. Love fishing, snowmobiling, canoeing, anything outdoors. Bit of a self taught mechanic, love to fix things and anything auto related.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Default Hello

Hello Everyone
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 AM

Hello everyone. I'm from BC, have been living and working in Saskatchewan for a few years. A few more and I hope to retire and head back there. This is a great forum. Tons of info here. Been reading it for a while.

I hunted a couple blacktail on the coast and a couple muleys in the Cariboo and the Okanagan when I lived in BC. Out here in Sask I do some duck and geese hunting. A lot of fun here with huge bird populations. Do some camping and fishing too and have explored quite a few areas in this province. The wife and I particularly enjoy northern Saskatchewan. Will do a trip there this spring.

I try and get back to BC every year or 2 for a couple weeks vacation. Last year went through northern BC, spent some time around Babine Lake and Haida Gwaii. Going to northern Vancouver Island this year.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Default Cochrane outdoorsmen

Hello all,

While i joined up years ago, I have been an inactive student for the last 4 years. I have just moved to Cochrane Alberta and am looking for a hunting partner/mentor.

I am 36, fit, I shoot somewhat regular. Member at the shooting edge, and new member of BTSA. I have my black badge and will compete in my first IPSC match this year.

If your from my area and hunt, shoot IPSC or do long rang shooting feel free to drop me a line.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up Newtothisforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Howdy!
Here it is, the thread where you can introduce yourself, tell us about your favorite outdoor pastime, where you are from , etc.
Have at 'er !
Cat
Hey, living in the Bow valley I thaught The Alberta outdoorsmen what is a good way to connect with other hunters of different regions of Alberta!!!
Hopping one day to make my way to the pronghorn land and meeting connections for Canada geese hunt.

Loving to travel in different country and really enjoying bow hunting.

Cheers
J
Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Default Vancouver..ish hello.

Quick hello to you guys and girls. I'm living in the GVRD currently. Mainly into fishing but do enjoy a spot of shooting, hiking and light hunting (Grouse, Coney, Duck etc)

Hope to chat around a bit. Oh, and I'm a Brit so apologies in advance if I upset some with my sarcasm and wit...It's not my fault
Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Default Introduction

Hello there!
Found this forum with help from a friend and decided to join. I've been a member of CGN since 2014 and wanted to find a forum to find some lakes and fishing spots near Edmonton, as I'm getting back into the fishing world after a brief break.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Nick

Hey there! Nick from Calgary. 28yo. Just made an account for finding a hunting partner. Thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 PM

Well here I am. Avid gun nut and outdoorsman in general. looking for fn trombone parts brought me here.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Howdy!
Not sure about the trombone parts but I have a few buddies who collect that stuff, I’ll ask around
Cat
Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default Nice meeting you all!

Hi everyone! It's great to be here and meeting you folks.