Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Shipping question

Purolator was here today, just dumped package and left. If it was stolen of off my stoop, who is on the hook?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Purolator was here today, just dumped package and left. If it was stolen of off my stoop, who is on the hook?
The shipper have to claim insurance ... It’s in the news lately that thiefs follows delivery truck to pick off Christmas and Amazon packages .
Old 12-05-2018, 05:39 PM

That's why I rent a post office box. No shipping to my door, if a seller won't ship to a PO Box, I will buy elsewhere. The Canada Post 'Superboxes' aren't really secure either, lots of them get pried, especially in rural areas.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You might was to check the couriers claim policy to ensure you have full value coverage. It costs extra to insure that you won’t get burned financially. Otherwise the liability is limited in what gets paid out.

BW
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM

It's not up to the individual courier at all if it's to be left or not. That is determined by the shipper and they take responsibility if it goes missing.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
It's not up to the individual courier at all if it's to be left or not. That is determined by the shipper and they take responsibility if it goes missing.
Sorry Doug, I don't think so. Once the courier signs for the package they take responsibility for the package. If, when corresponding with the shipper that a signature is required for proof of delivery, then they won't mark it as such. It amazes me how many people think the shipper is responsible for lost or damaged parcels. If the shipper made a reasonable effort to package the product to protect it in shipping then you have to make a claim against the courier.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 PM

Purolator as other couriers and Canada Post have drop off locations around the city. I do a lot of online shopping and any larger items I just have them dropped off and I pick them up if CP and Purolator has a drop not far from home so pick up there. Never a worry about theft and I just stop and pickup on my way home from the office.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't know about couriers. I've never lost a package through them.

But last year our superbox was broken into. I had a package in my box.
It was taken. We found the empty box along with a garbage bag full of envelopes on the side of the highway.

Canada post said they weren't responsible for my loss, the shipper said they didn't cover such losses.

In the end I had to eat the loss.

I still wonder what the thieves thought they had and what they thought when the found it was two pounds of 1/8 inch ceramic triangles.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Sorry Doug, I don't think so. Once the courier signs for the package they take responsibility for the package. If, when corresponding with the shipper that a signature is required for proof of delivery, then they won't mark it as such. It amazes me how many people think the shipper is responsible for lost or damaged parcels. If the shipper made a reasonable effort to package the product to protect it in shipping then you have to make a claim against the courier.
Well, I've only been a courier for over 20 years... I guess I don't have the slightest clue about my job or my industry. As usual I'll just defer to all the "experts" on The AO forum from now on.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM

If it's an Amazon package, Amazon will cover the theft. They're quite friendly that way.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I've only been a courier for over 20 years... I guess I don't have the slightest clue about my job or my industry.
You must work for Canada Post then.... Sorry but I just had to say it.

Op, if you read the fine print on the waybill every courier states something to the effect of "will not be held liable for damage or theft"

I use a PO box for all my packages or have them sent to work so at least they are left with a human being rather than just on the door step. With Purolator you can have the package sent "hold for pickup at the depot" if that is an option, just give the shipper the address of the depot you wish to hold it at.
For example
Call for pick up 780 XXX-XXXX
Your Name
123 Whatever Street
Edmonton AB t6e5t4

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I've only been a courier for over 20 years... I guess I don't have the slightest clue about my job or my industry. As usual I'll just defer to all the "experts" on The AO forum from now on.
You may be a courier, and the company i work for sends out 100 to 350 packages a day using all sorts of couriers, trucking companies and private couriers. All our waybills are fob Edmonton. No matter who u work for once you sign that waybill you or your company is responsible for that package. I've seen waybills marked signature required dropped off on the wrong address, with no signature. And your going to say your not responsible?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Of course I would be, but that's not what the OP asked. A package was left at his doorstep because it was authorized by the shipper to be left without a signature. If it gets stolen from his doorstep he is in absolutely no way on the hook for it, the shipper specified it was to be left without a signature so it's their responsibility to replace it.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 PM

just a longshot, but did you pay with VISA? I use CIBC VISA specifically for their loss/drop/stolen/broken/oopsie protection on every shipped purchase and almost everything I buy. They have a very good protection, I have only used it once many years ago, but it is always there. I think it covers all purchases for 90 days. Just hoping you have some sort of protection.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 PM

You could always do what some of our guys do and have things shipped to your work address. That way it doesn't get left outside.