Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 PM

Default Any CWB welding inspectors here?

Just curious if there are any CWB inspectors here, CSA W178.2, and wondering what the job life is like here in Ab. Are you always busy? Can you be home most of the time every day? I'm under the understanding it is usually a ton of travel, working on the road all the time. Or if there are many jobs out there requiring in-house, certified inspectors, full time? Just wondering if anyone has real life experiences they may care to share. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-05-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Shop rates in edmonton are all over the place, structural usually pays less than pipe shops. not sure about vessel shops. Field QC rates are ok for contractors. Job market is pretty cut throat, lots of wannabe imspectors that will work for peanuts just to stay off the tools.

once you get some connections and people know you can handle dealing with craft and clients and produce a good turnover binder, you wont have trouble finding work. getting to that point is the trick though.

Companies want more and more elaborate turnover, but dont want to pay for the hours it takes to administer a proper QC system.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

This is a specialized area that I’m sure will be needed for some time but being it is a specialty you probably won’t find a wanted add everywhere. If you do go for it be kind to the people that don’t make it. When I did my initial B test we had the inspector everyone called the terminator. He wasn’t very pleasant to people that failed and after watching this display my confidence dropped. That being said, he gave me a big smile and a thumbs up on my first try along with a laugh because I’m pretty sure he smelt the crap in my pants. This gave me the confidence booster I needed some twenty years ago. I’m sure some guys didn’t return to retest after the “your done” from the terminator. This role can have a dramatic effect on the people you are testing. Be kind
Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 PM

Fred Duffy, wearing his moccasins and his glasses low on his nose! Lol
Old 12-06-2018, 09:33 PM

I know a person that has been doing it for a few years. He is away from home lots but I think makes real good bucks.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because that is where my next career step seems to be headed. I just don't want to always be on the road. I have a 4yr old daughter now, and don't want to miss out on that. Currently work in an office role as a QC, but also am the weld trainer, and a certified CWB Welding Supervisor. Mon-Fri, home every day by 3pm, 7min drive to work. Pretty good gig, but I feel stagnant, and the pay is below industry standards for my qualifications and experience. I've put enough years in prior, working the patch, travelling all the time, to know I don't want to go back to that lifestyle... All advice is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by bloopbloob; 12-06-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Good on ya for testing the waters and getting a feeler but if that job is stable and steady I wouldn’t be too keen to jump ship with the overall uncertainty right now.

Could always try to leverage yourself into a pay raise at the current job if you’ve been there long enough and have done a good job this far.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Banned

There was a place in nisku not long ago looking for a cwb inspector. The job was in house. If I remember the name I’ll mention it in pm.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckwsm View Post
Fred Duffy, wearing his moccasins and his glasses low on his nose! Lol
Yes, Mr Fred Dully.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because that is where my next career step seems to be headed. I just don't want to always be on the road. I have a 4yr old daughter now, and don't want to miss out on that. Currently work in an office role as a QC, but also am the weld trainer, and a certified CWB Welding Supervisor. Mon-Fri, home every day by 3pm, 7min drive to work. Pretty good gig, but I feel stagnant, and the pay is below industry standards for my qualifications and experience. I've put enough years in prior, working the patch, travelling all the time, to know I don't want to go back to that lifestyle... All advice is appreciated. Thanks
That is pretty typical of fab shops, they want all the certs but dont want to pay for it. I am not sure there is an industry standard pay for QC its very dependant on the company in my experience. Being on 5 - 8's is nice for family life but crap for the bank account.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM

If you go the inspector route you will be come the most hated guy in the shop. Telling people the quality of their work is not good enough gets on peoples nerves pretty quick. Last shop I was at the CWB inspector started taking the bus to work every day because the fabricators would vandalize his car on a regular basis. Mind you that guy was also *****.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If you go the inspector route you will be come the most hated guy in the shop. Telling people the quality of their work is not good enough gets on peoples nerves pretty quick. Last shop I was at the CWB inspector started taking the bus to work every day because the fabricators would vandalize his car on a regular basis. Mind you that guy was also *****.
I'm already there as a QC/QA, no way around finding mistakes and correcting them, and people, in this type of role. That is basically entirely what the job is. I try to do it with a friendly approach though. Also, I am willing to teach and train, not just criticize, which helps. I think it helps that I'm not some guy who just got the cert., criticizes, but can't do the job themselves. I'm J-man, Redseal, B-pressure, CWB W47.1/W59 Supervisor certified. I inspect things all day, I just don't have that official CWB 178.2 Inspector certification (which would open new doors outside of my current work). It's an expensive course, not required for my current role. Not sure if it would be worth it, if only not to end up using it to my advantage.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:17 PM

I am a CWB Level 1 with W178.2 and B31.3 endorsements(hoping to go for my Level 2 soon). I agree with treating the guys fairly and with respect goes a long ways in making your job more enjoyable. I work at a local plant for a contractor so I'm home every night but most of the guys I know in the industry are out of town a lot or do shutdowns only. With the economy the way it is there isn't a lot of options for year round work, mostly just shutdown work which is short term and a lot of those jobs are out of town as well. Hope this helps...
Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm already there as a QC/QA, no way around finding mistakes and correcting them, and people, in this type of role. That is basically entirely what the job is. I try to do it with a friendly approach though. Also, I am willing to teach and train, not just criticize, which helps. I think it helps that I'm not some guy who just got the cert., criticizes, but can't do the job themselves. I'm J-man, Redseal, B-pressure, CWB W47.1/W59 Supervisor certified. I inspect things all day, I just don't have that official CWB 178.2 Inspector certification (which would open new doors outside of my current work). It's an expensive course, not required for my current role. Not sure if it would be worth it, if only not to end up using it to my advantage.
May aswell get your level 1 but dont expect to make much until you are a level 2. i dont know many guys who stay busy with only a level 1