Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 PM

Default iPhone experts...which model?

So my dad has a 4 and it constantly drops calls, won’t call out, when he calls someone they can’t hear him, etc, so going to get him one for Xmas. Currently we are on a buisiness 20 which is a bring your own device. Wanting to stick with iPhone because that’s what he knows and at his age he will be stubborn if he had to learn a different platform. He basically only uses it for calls, texts, taking a few pictures, and checking the weather forecast.

Leaning towards an 8. Can purchase online for about $700 new. Apple lists it at $820. Would a 6 or 7 be good enough for the next 5+ years? The X seems priced to high. Which model has better battery life?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Buy the newest model you can afford.

Apple is known for building in reduced battery life in new "updates" to old models, so buying old equipment (especially if he wants to keep it for 5 yrs) is pointless.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM

The 8 still has the home button, more or less works the same as older models. Batt life is probably 30% better than the 5 or older. Telus business has a free 8 with unlimited Canada call/text and 3gb data for $70 month for 2 years right now.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:57 PM

i have a 6 its working good big upgrade compare to my 4 , you can buy them for $150-300 ( i got mine for free as a upgrade from my provider ) . when it come the phones, i tend to get a gen or 2 behind save some money and they are always coming with new ones so why spend more then you need to .
Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Get the new retro model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cell for seniors.jpg (24.1 KB, 58 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
The 8 still has the home button, more or less works the same as older models. Batt life is probably 30% better than the 5 or older. Telus business has a free 8 with unlimited Canada call/text and 3gb data for $70 month for 2 years right now.
I just got this package a couple of weeks ago. My 6 started to falter, had it 3 years good deal. The 8 is much better then the 6 was. Happy so far, and the phone was free with the 2 year plan. My old plan was 75.00 a month as well a 120.00 saving over the 2 year term.

BW
Old 12-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Samsung galaxy s9+.

The iKoolaid is crap.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Get the 8....best bang for your buck right now....anything above the 8 doesn't have home button anymore...face recognition
Old 12-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Buy the newest model you can afford.

Apple is known for building in reduced battery life in new "updates" to old models, so buying old equipment (especially if he wants to keep it for 5 yrs) is pointless.
That’s not an accurate description of what they were doing at all. They were reducing the processor clock speed when the phone was under load because batteries close to the end of their life would fail to provide enough current and the phone would be unstable. It was a reasonable solution to the problem but they should not have been secretive about it.

I recently went to the XR and I have to admit it’s been more adjustment than I expected, I like a lot of the new features but I still miss the home button. Great sound though and I’m happy with the screen even if it isn’t the super fancy. I think a 7 or 8 would be less adjustment though.

I have my 128g 7 with a new in September Apple installed battery I am going to sell, jr_80 pm me if you are interested.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM

I just got an iPhone 7 to replace a 5. I had more confidence in the metal case of the 7 over the glass case of the 8 (apparently the glass case back is to allow wireless charging), it goes in an Otterbox Defender case anyways as I need waterproof durability with my line of work. I got the model with 128 GB of memory. My smartphone uses are fairly simple compared to many/most: phone, camera, a few downloads like code books but barely any apps at all aside from a credit card/debit Bluetooth widget.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:23 PM

Went from a 4 to a 6 to an 8. The 6 was by far my favorite of them. I got my 8 a week or so before the X came out. For minimal use such as talk text and some online I’d say go with the 6. Having said that the 8 is already an old model so if you can get a new one it will be supported for longer than the 6 will. Stupid phones always getting orphaned. I have had a Samsung S6 and S9 for work and can’t stand the stupid things. The camera is much better than the iPhone but the operating system is fubar!

Only reason I went to the 8 was a user error which resulted in my father in law running my phone over with his truck. Got the screen replaced and fixed but was never the same. Update came with my provider and I went with it.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:46 PM

Wife got me the iPhone XS Max. Not really a big phone guy, but it’s the coolest phone I’ve owned. I was perfectly happy complaining about my 6, she wasn’t.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 PM

I like my 8 with cordless charging.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
That’s not an accurate description of what they were doing at all. They were reducing the processor clock speed when the phone was under load because batteries close to the end of their life would fail to provide enough current and the phone would be unstable. It was a reasonable solution to the problem but they should not have been secretive about it.
Yeah, I always get mixed which excuses they have now for forced upgrading.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM

You can get your iPhones battery swapped out...I’ve done that and time to do it again.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM

I have a 5SE. 128 gb storage. Love the phone. Works perfectly fine for me. Fast, decent battery, no issues.

I especially like how the screen isn't massive. I don't need a small tablet for a phone. And I like having a headphones jack.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Bingo. I bought the SE to replace my 5 beause I also didnt like having to carry around a device the size of a textbook.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Bingo. I bought the SE to replace my 5 beause I also didnt like having to carry around a device the size of a textbook.
Right? I did the same but had a 5S before. Owned it for over three years without issue, still have it as a fully functioning back-up phone. Good units.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Pic up my new iPhone XS max tomorrow. From an iPhone 7+. Hope it has better battery life. No specs on battery. Look forward to wireless charging and face recognition over thumb print.