Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 11:25 PM

I come from a large family, so each of us do the best we can,,, I'm more about staying in contact with the ones I can and do my own thing.

If we link up then awesome, if not, that's ok since we all know that we enjoyed some good times along the way,,, that what counts in my / our books.

Loved ones have passed on or moved away, life gets busy, and some of us hang out in the bush, if they call or show up then the door is open for those we know and others we haven't meet in our travels.

I'm a lone wolf traveller, make new friends where ever I land,,, the rewards for me is knowing that we've crossed paths some where.

If there is life after death I hope I come back as a rock, lots of time to lay around and visit with other rocks, sticks, lakes, and trees. LOL

I'm off to the hills out West in the early am,,, looks like I get 3 people to visit with when I get there.
I, Me, and My Self,,, that's plenty of company in the Forests.

Don
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM

I had a bit of a scare today, tried texting Oldman last night with no reply, again today, texted and called, no text reply and straight to voicemail.
I tracked down someone that lives in the same complex, and was about to ask them to go check on him.
And I got a reply text; sorry was driving, didn't see the text last night. All is well again .
It reminded me to call some older relatives, today is a good day to do it because I am sick and not doing much.
Always better before it's too late.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Called my 85 yr old Pops today. Should do it more often
Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Called my 85 yr old Pops today. Should do it more often
You should. I, unfortunately, can’t call my dad anymore..... God , I miss him every day!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Great thread. We had a long overdue, family reunion this summer in Northern Alberta. Saw a lot of Uncles, Aunts relatives I hadn't seen for a few years. A cancer case and failing health case or two and brothers and sisters in their 80s. Definitely the last time my Dad (85) will be making the trip and likely the last time some of the older folks will have a face to face. Have been staying in close, phone contact with most of the Uncles and Aunts since then. I've even been throwing out the "love you guys" thing way more than I ever did as I'm way too tough for that stuff, or at least was. Pause for thought for sure.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Default How many times have you thought "I should give old ....... a call"

One of my life long friends and I lost touch for about a year. When I finally manned up and called her, her sister answered as it was the day of her funeral. - 19years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 PM

This sort of thought is why I never let the hubby or the kids drive off without waving goodbye as they leave. It may be the last interaction I have with them.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Many years ago I lost touch with my best friend and several years later someone told me he was living in a tent up in GP and seen him last week so being the kind of friend I am I took two days off work to go find him and bring him home with me if needed be. Well I couldn’t find him, fast forward thirteen years I ran into him while stopping for a pee on the highway. I gave him a huge hug and told him how much I missed his company we exchanged numbers and I tried to text him several times with no reply. I look at it now like I spent $1000 in lost wages, hotel etc for absolutely nothing. He’s pretty messed up now and it’s unfortunate he won’t even take the time to text someone who would have done anything for him. Life lesson learned I guess.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Sorry Tinda.
That's rough.
I have groomed a couple toxic 'friends' over the last couple decades. Sometimes I regret my decision, possibly because on loneliness but I remember the toxicity and the regret wanes.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Sorry Tinda.
That's rough.
I have groomed a couple toxic 'friends' over the last couple decades. Sometimes I regret my decision, possibly because on loneliness but I remember the toxicity and the regret wanes.
Hey thanks Ken 😁 it hurt to share that story. .
Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM

I just got back from a 'final' 911 call.

If you haven't talked to someone that may be nearing the next step, give them a call.

Have a good night everyone.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 PM

Oct 9. 1130pm my phone rings. My friend Steph wanting to talk. She was in Italy at her newly purchased villa. Her aunt was also there. Its 8 hrs ahead so they are getting ready for breakfast as Im headed to bed.

We talked a lot.

15 minutes after we ended our chat, she went for a morning walk on the rocks on her private beach when she broke her ankle, fell and suffered a basal skull fracture.

The next time I talked to her, her aunt was holding her cell phone to Stephanie’s ear as Steph was dying in a Florence Hospital .

When a friend calls, answer it. Call a friend. It’s pretty simple.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:50 PM

I'm sorry Randy. That's heartbreaking.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 PM

Last Saturday we said goodbye to my Wife's Aunt.

This Monday, my Mom's 2nd brother joined her, only 2 left from that family now.

And I hadn't called him a a few years.

Dammit.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 PM

After an experience today, thought of this thread.

Calling my last living Uncle right now.

Do it. Before it's too late

Old 01-16-2021, 07:18 AM

Timing of this thread is great. I lost my 85 yr old brother on monday. Held him in my arms as he passed. Luckily the hospital let me and 2 other family members into his room. He was 20 years older and more of a dad to me than a brother.My hunting and fishing partner and friend most of my life. I read this post wed but could not hold it together to post. Gladly I was able to still take him out to the woods as recently as this summer.
If you have a friend or family you care about contact them and let them know you have not forgotten them. Life goes by to quickly.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Last Saturday we said goodbye to my Wife's Aunt.

This Monday, my Mom's 2nd brother joined her, only 2 left from that family now.

And I hadn't called him a a few years.

Dammit.
This is just sad Ken, sorry the past week or two have been tough, but your message of calling loved ones is an important message. I’m so sorry that it comes from losing those very people...chin up Ken, your a good man and always do your best...go easy on yourself my friend!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-17-2021, 09:39 AM

I missed 1.
Jim Reinhart died Jan 11 in Lloydminster hospital.
I have known him for decades.
Goddamn it

Old 01-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I missed 1.
Jim Reinhart died Jan 11 in Lloydminster hospital.
I have known him for decades.
Goddamn it
Yup saw Jim in October and he seemed OK, was a bit shocked when I heard he died also, didn't hear what the cause was

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yup saw Jim in October and he seemed OK, was a bit shocked when I heard he died also, didn't hear what the cause was
I didn't ask Jason, maybe some day in the spring.

I just talked to another old friend, who is having some issues. 89 years young, but heart problems.

Who else should I call..........

Rob S, old wilted whiskers is the oldest gummer I know

Old 01-17-2021, 01:39 PM

Been a rough 2020. Lost my uncle in March. Neighbours noticed his car hadn’t moved in a few days. Found him on the couch. 56, heart attack. His sister, my dads only sister, passed right before Xmas. Her daughter in law found her in her apartment after she didn’t pick up the grandkids. 62, heart attack. And lost my moms only brother. Somebody found him slumped over at a bus stop in Panama. Too stubborn to come home when Covid hit. 67 and a heart attack. Only had a funeral for my aunt but it’s a weird experience. Only 30 of us and not able to give your cousins a hug after their mom died isn’t right.

All 3 were my favourites out of all the aunts and uncles and we didn’t talk or see each other as much as we should have. On my dads side their is only the oldest left. A person needs to pick up the phone more often, don’t put it off. And once the Covid is over, we’re making a point of visiting every family member and all close friends.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Been a rough 2020. Lost my uncle in March. Neighbours noticed his car hadn’t moved in a few days. Found him on the couch. 56, heart attack. His sister, my dads only sister, passed right before Xmas. Her daughter in law found her in her apartment after she didn’t pick up the grandkids. 62, heart attack. And lost my moms only brother. Somebody found him slumped over at a bus stop in Panama. Too stubborn to come home when Covid hit. 67 and a heart attack. Only had a funeral for my aunt but it’s a weird experience. Only 30 of us and not able to give your cousins a hug after their mom died isn’t right.

All 3 were my favourites out of all the aunts and uncles and we didn’t talk or see each other as much as we should have. On my dads side their is only the oldest left. A person needs to pick up the phone more often, don’t put it off. And once the Covid is over, we’re making a point of visiting every family member and all close friends.
I am so sorry for your loss. That's a lot for sure.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:39 AM

My last uncle that I mentioned earlier is gone. Covid took him.

I found out when I called, was driving by and was going to stop in.

Didn't listen to my own advice.

Also found out a friend of mine, younger than me passed in January.

I found his mom, asked if he had a new phone or had moved, his phone was not in service. She told me he had a heart attack.

Get calling before it is too late. I am today.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:56 AM

So sorry for your loss, Ken.

Such good advice to call when we have that inner prompting. It's easy to brush it off and say that we'll call later - but "later" may never come.