Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Default slave lake

how is slave lake with all this snow. Can a guy still get around or are the drifts bad. at Joussard
Old 03-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Hello. Just curious on the conditions. Hilliards or cut bank area. Headed there next week and wondering if they got as much snow as Edmonton did. Hopefully not. Thanks
Old 03-04-2018, 04:16 PM

I was hearing it was tough to get around even before this last snow hit. A buddy was going to go up a week or two ago and he was told not to bother unless he had a snowmobile. Lots of guys getting stuck all over the place right now. I know a guy was stuck at Utikuma and another at Swan Hills recently, both due to soft spots caused from flood water because of the snow weight.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks Ravyak Good info. Maybe a better trail out by mid week. I’m sure joussard is a good path to drive out but I have heard it’s slow on that side. Thanks again
Old 03-04-2018, 05:39 PM

One guy through the ice west end. Only went down to next layer so I don't think there was any damage. Be careful. He says fishing has been slow.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I was hearing it was tough to get around even before this last snow hit. A buddy was going to go up a week or two ago and he was told not to bother unless he had a snowmobile. Lots of guys getting stuck all over the place right now. I know a guy was stuck at Utikuma and another at Swan Hills recently, both due to soft spots caused from flood water because of the snow weight.
Hey Rav, can you explain the flood water thing a little better? I am headed north this upcoming weekend and although we are bringing a snowmodbile were hoping to be able to drive the truck on. I thought flood water was caused by warmer temps melting the top layer(s) of snow. This recent cold snap and snow dump we had somehow caused flood water? Its been below zero even on the warmest days, -2, -3.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Hey Rav, can you explain the flood water thing a little better? I am headed north this upcoming weekend and although we are bringing a snowmodbile were hoping to be able to drive the truck on. I thought flood water was caused by warmer temps melting the top layer(s) of snow. This recent cold snap and snow dump we had somehow caused flood water? Its been below zero even on the warmest days, -2, -3.
Heavy snow load bend the ice downwards and allows water to come up through cracks or holes. This water sits on top of the ice and does no freeze easily due to the snow cover above it insulation it from the cold air. Any time there is heavy snow there is real danger of flooding and some of these spots can be 2 or 3 feet deep if you are out a long ways from shore.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 AM

And the biggest problem with those situations is that you often have no idea where they are until all of a sudden you are stuck.

Had it happen to us once with a quad on a remote lake 20+ kms from the truck. Was driving along and all of a sudden water is flying up around us and the quad was sinking... I thought we had broke through for some reason but fortunately it was only a foot or so of water on top of the ice. We had to unhook the sled and push the quad out, if we had been using a truck we would have been stuck for good.

Pictures I saw from Utikuma and Swan Hills area looked similar and were both from this weekend.

I would definitely be sticking to the main trails if going out fishing right now. You never know when you will hit something like this or a snow covered crack/ridge etc.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Take a lining bar, old axle etc if you are out this time of year. If you get stuck you can drive the bar or axle deep into the ice to use as an anchor point. You do NOT want to drill a hole as that will make the flooding far worse.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Fishing was slow on west side. Lots of snow.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take a lining bar, old axle etc if you are out this time of year. If you get stuck you can drive the bar or axle deep into the ice to use as an anchor point. You do NOT want to drill a hole as that will make the flooding far worse.
Piece of short pipe/culvert slightly smaller than your auger flight works good too. Drill 3/4 of way through ice, drop pipe in and use winch/come-along to get your vehicle out......
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Ya that would not be a lot of fun. Good thing we have the sled, im not worried about it plowing through water and slush although getting all our gear from the truck might be cumbersome. What about tire chains? Buddy has a lifted truck with some pretty meaty tires. I don't know if there was as much snowfall at this lake or not.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Piece of short pipe/culvert slightly smaller than your auger flight works good too. Drill 3/4 of way through ice, drop pipe in and use winch/come-along to get your vehicle out......

Good one. Did that with a spare tire once, drilled three holes side by side angled away from the truck, half way thorough ice, attached winch cable to rim and around tire and dropped the tire into the hole, tire with cable around it facing down. Worked slick as heck.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Sled is your best bet. I’ve never driven my truck on any lake, always use sled. I’ve hit floodwater countless times but all you need to do is pin it to the bar and you’ll be ok. There was one time though where one of the Sleds did get stuck and was a very bad experience. Busted the steering post off so had to steer with vice grips and the handlebar/ throttle in my lap. Had to drive it up onto my sled deck this way as well. Carry a come-along in your ice fishing sleigh. Make sure your boots and pants are waterproof.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM

This time of year with all this snow, I would suggest to stick to the trails that are already there
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Ya that would not be a lot of fun. Good thing we have the sled, im not worried about it plowing through water and slush although getting all our gear from the truck might be cumbersome. What about tire chains? Buddy has a lifted truck with some pretty meaty tires. I don't know if there was as much snowfall at this lake or not.
If there is a trail that is in reasonable shape you should be fine, I just wouldn't be bombing all over the lake with the truck and if you are covering new ground I would be following the sled at a reasonable distance so if he hits something soft he can signal you or you will see it in his tracks.

Tire chains would definitely help if you have them. With 3 feet of ice up north the problem isn't usually breaking through and losing your vehicle, it is just getting stuck in which chains would obviously help(as would trucks with extra clearance, good winter tires etc).

Take a tow strap and shovels too. Hopefully you won't need any of that stuff but it is always better to have it then wish you did.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. We are getting some chains as we speak. Using the sled as a lead is also a good Idea. We will try to stick to the tracks but im worried about them being mostly blown over with the amount of snow that has fallen recently. We dont have a winch or come-along or anything so hopefully if we do get stuck we can shovel and with the chains be able to get out. Any other advice is also appreciated. Cheers.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM

I have been up to slave last two weeks. Two weeks ago we encountered deep drifts along shore out for 100 yds. In range 16 inch Luckily several large trucks had busted through ahead of us and by following their tracks we got thru ( just) The rest of trip out to shacks ( a km) was pretty hairy as lots of deep drifts. Last wednesday was back out. Someone had punched through shore drifts with small bobcat and km drive out was better if you followed in earlier truck tracks but lake snow was still deep. Was talking to a buddy who lives in Slave lake this past Sunday and is out fishing all the time and he said that they didnt get near the snow that edmonton and south got. He said saturday they got maybe an inch and it was petering off quickly on sunday.
Fishing is really slow up there past few weeks. two saturdays ago me Slave lake buddy said a group of 20 from his work only caught 5 fish whole day. I had to work really hard this past wednesday to get my two mind you one was very close to 6 lbs.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:51 PM

If no comealong or gas power winch, go get a jack all. They aren't very expensive, brand new under $90, and far cheaper than trying to get a tow way out on the lake. Most commercial tow trucks won't go off a maintained road at all. Kijiji has used ones for 30 bucks. The ones made bfore about 1995 are better built as are the most recent versions.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-05-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM

For the uneducated, such as myself, can you please explain how a Jack-all ( great name) would be used to get unstuck on the ice? Never used one before.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
For the uneducated, such as myself, can you please explain how a Jack-all ( great name) would be used to get unstuck on the ice? Never used one before.
It workds very similar to a come along but with a lot more pulling power. Basically you tie one end of th tow wire/rope to the base of the jack, you tie the other part to the bumper ledge on he jack. As you jack the hnandle it shortens the ropes, pulls them together and pulls yyou out. An advanced version uses a pully so you don't have to keep rehooking to the jack.

Video explains it better than I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldBPnzohtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcf15XqoD6Q

Another method that works is to attach your tow strap to your rim and let the rotation of your tire wind up the strap.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-05-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXDpmac7Fs

Found a sorta version of that too. A flat tow strap works much better but use whatever you have.

And an Australian improvement on this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXDpmac7Fs
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Interesting for sure. Although I'm not sure what we would use as an anchor point out in the lake even 100 ft from shore.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM

If you are going to buy chains then between the chains, shovels, a tow rope to snowmobile(or 2nd truck) and extra bodies pushing you should be able to get yourself out of some pretty nasty stuff.

If you do get stuck put in the extra effort to make it easy to get out.

Most likely the conditions will either be so bad you can't use truck or you won't have any issues at all. Good to be prepared though just in case.

I would definitely follow the snowmobile track if covering new ground, it will show you the wet spots if there are any.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Just another idea that in some situations cold be helpful is using a log or some sort of bar as a lever. You could drill a partial hole to put the end of the log in then use the log to try and lift or push the vehicle.

I did that to get my Rav4 unstuck a couple summers ago when exploring a quad trail. I came up with the idea after trying to first cut down a tree with my fillet knife lol.

Jack to lift the side of car, tie down straps to put some sideways pressure on it then a log as a lever under the hitch of the car and I was able to slide the back end of the car around by myself!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Just spent Saturday and Sunday out at Canyon Creek, and if the west part of the lake is a a bad as where we were, then I would definitely stick to established routes. We saw (and helped out) multiple trucks get unstuck. Going out on Saturday before it started to snow, after a while my brother in law just hopped out and walked a path on the ice around the drifts. Super slow going but we didn’t get stuck at all (I have a regular F150 with 4x4 and all weather tires with no lift). Headed off the lake on Sunday, we were lucky enough to use a freshly broken through trail, and my buddy with much better tires blasted ahead of me. Made it out no problem, but going slow was not an option. I would also not be venturing too far away from shore.

On top of it all, we had to grind hard to catch anything, but all burbot,walleye and pike were keepers. I personally wouldn’t go out with a truck without a few shovels and ample experience. Good luck if you do go.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Interesting for sure. Although I'm not sure what we would use as an anchor point out in the lake even 100 ft from shore.
See posts above by 7mag and myself, there are quite a few suggestions that work just great. Posts 13, 11, and 9.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Any recent updates on the snow/slush conditions? Is a quad is definitely not worthwhile bringing? Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Afternoon folks,
Was anyone out at Shaw's or Hilliard's this past weekend? We are off on our annual week of fishing up there next Monday and was wondering about access.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 03-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
Afternoon folks,
Was anyone out at Shaw's or Hilliard's this past weekend? We are off on our annual week of fishing up there next Monday and was wondering about access.

Thanks,
RJ

Was at cutbank on Saturday. Access was good but need to stay on the trail. You can move around a bit once out at the shacks but easy to get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk