Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 10:48 AM

Default Regs on selling ammo

Hey all. So I'm pretty certain that, as an individual, selling ammos in small quantities to another individual with valid PAL is legal. Lots of people seem to do it online on reputable gun forums.

But I got curious what reg actually governs this?

Example - this RCMP website makes it clear how to legally sell a firearm. But I can't find an equivalent source for ammos. Closest I got is this, but it seems to be for businesses. I even went back to my CFSC textbook and didn't find this info.

So I was wondering if anyone knows where one finds regs governing (personal/private) ammo sales? Forgive my search skills if this has been asked before!

Last edited by ey212; 03-01-2024 at 11:04 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-01-2024, 10:56 AM

You can legally sell ammunition to anyone that holds a PAL. Things get complicated when you start manufacturing ammunition to sell.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:06 AM

elkhunter11, thanks! That's what I thought too. But do you know what law this comes from?
Old 03-01-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ey212 View Post
elkhunter11, thanks! That's what I thought too. But do you know what law this comes from?
The PAL requirement is from the firearms act, manufacturing ammunition to sell commercially , also involves the explosives act.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:50 PM

Default From the Act

Authorization to transfer ammunition to individuals

25 (1) A person may transfer ammunition that is not prohibited ammunition to an individual only if the individual

(a) until January 1, 2001, holds a licence authorizing him or her to possess firearms or a prescribed document; or

(b) after January 1, 2001, holds a licence authorizing him or her to possess firearms.

WDF
Old 03-01-2024, 07:41 PM

The insurance cost to cover your liabilities would be quite onerous for a small scale ammunition manufacturer, to say nothing of all the regulatory hoops from federal, provincial and municipal to jump through to be a legal manufacturer of ammo. Then there is the costs of a manufacturing facility to meet these requirements. The costs are such that that is the reason why there are few manufacturers of ammunition and they have to sell in volumes of multitudes of millions + of rounds to make it feasable.

If it was as simple as building ammo for resale lots of people would be doing it and you would be able to buy locally produced ammo at your local hardware store, gas station, farmers market or on the internet.

All levels of gov't agencies frown on these types of ventures.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-01-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The insurance cost to cover your liabilities would be quite onerous for a small scale ammunition manufacturer, to say nothing of all the regulatory hoops from federal, provincial and municipal to jump through to be a legal manufacturer of ammo. Then there is the costs of a manufacturing facility to meet these requirements. The costs are such that that is the reason why there are few manufacturers of ammunition and they have to sell in volumes of multitudes of millions + of rounds to make it feasable.

If it was as simple as building ammo for resale lots of people would be doing it and you would be able to buy locally produced ammo at your local hardware store, gas station, farmers market or on the internet.

All levels of gov't agencies frown on these types of ventures.
Kinda like selling whiskey, cuts into their margins.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:29 AM

WDF - you da man! that's exactly what I was looking for!!!

Btw, interesting to read this part of the Act:

Authorization to transfer cartridge magazine to individuals

(2) A person may transfer a cartridge magazine that is not prescribed to be a prohibited device only if the individual holds a licence authorizing him or her to possess firearms.

But AFAIK Cabela's doesn't require your PAL when selling magazines. Haven't bought one so I don't know for sure. (in this context I think "person" does include a biz)