Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 11:02 AM

Default New Rifle

Hi

I am thinking of changing rifles.
I'm currently using a 270.
I wondered what people with more experience think about changing to a 6.5Creedmor. I am changing because my current rifle is a right-handed gun and I shoot left. I am limited in my calibre options because not a lot of Tika's or Christensen come in left-handed models. It is further limited to what retailers stock. Special orders are very difficult and the wait time can be almost two years, if retailers will even do the special orders. My other option would be 30-06, which I'm not really partial to that calibre....
I hunt mostly deer, with the occasional elk and moose. Moose and Elk are very occasional due to draws.

Opinions???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mark; 02-29-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:22 AM

Id choose 30-06 personally, especially if moose and elk are possible, but a 6.5 creed can and does work as well. Just use appropriate bullets.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:29 AM

I too am a lefty. The choice of left handed guns has never been better. Pick what you want, and Clay at Prophet will order it in for your, as will Swamp Donkey, if you can't find it on a shelf anywhere. There is also a pretty good selection of used around these days.

CZ, Tikka, Sako, Mauser, Sauer, Weatherby, and Ruger are all production gun choices. Antler Arms in Quebec will sell you one at a good price and you can specify cartridge, barrel length etc. They made the Fierce line of guns for Christensen and they were a lot better gun than what Christansen is selling now since they moved production to the States. Also, K.S. Arms right here in Edmonton makes fantastic rifles in LH with their own actions, or they will re-barrel any gun you supply with their in house, cut rifles, hand lapped barrels. Mike made me up a tremendous DG rifle on a LH Weatherby MKv action, outstanding workmanship.

All of these are high quality LH guns. I even have some Savages, they aren't as pretty but they shoot just great. As to Cartridge, , 308 if you don't like 06, 7-08, 7x57, if you want a little more go, 7 PRC or 300 PRC would be my choices. A 6.5 Creed is okay on deer, would not be my choice on Moose or Elk if I had a bigger gun in the stable. For a one gun hunter, not my pick.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I too am a lefty. The choice of left handed guns has never been better. Pick what you want, and Clay at Prophet will order it in for your, as will Swamp Donkey, if you can't find it on a shelf anywhere. There is also a pretty good selection of used around these days.

CZ, Tikka, Sako, Mauser, Sauer, Weatherby, and Ruger are all production gun choices. Antler Arms in Quebec will sell you one at a good price and you can specify cartridge, barrel length etc. They made the Fierce line of guns for Christensen and they were a lot better gun than what Christansen is selling now since they moved production to the States. Also, K.S. Arms right here in Edmonton makes fantastic rifles in LH with their own actions, or they will re-barrel any gun you supply with their in house, cut rifles, hand lapped barrels. Mike made me up a tremendous DG rifle on a LH Weatherby MKv action, outstanding workmanship.

All of these are high quality LH guns. I even have some Savages, they aren't as pretty but they shoot just great. As to Cartridge, , 308 if you don't like 06, 7-08, 7x57, if you want a little more go, 7 PRC or 300 PRC would be my choices. A 6.5 Creed is okay on deer, would not be my choice on Moose or Elk if I had a bigger gun in the stable. For a one gun hunter, not my pick.
Exactly well said

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2024, 01:32 PM

I'd keep the 270. O'Conner praised em. I've shot a ton of whitetales, a moose, and Mt. goat with em
Old 02-29-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighteyes View Post
I'd keep the 270. O'Conner praised em. I've shot a ton of whitetales, a moose, and Mt. goat with em
Great decision !
Old 02-29-2024, 01:49 PM

Gotta ask......

What is it about the 30-06 that doesn't work for you?
Old 02-29-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Fierce was a Christiansen Arms line of rifles?
Old 02-29-2024, 02:23 PM

There was a left hand stainless Tikka in .338 Federal on Gunnutz just the other day for a really good price, I mentioned it to Tirebob but he said something about his wife and permission...but it's gone now. That would have been a good solution for you too.

I only mention that to razz Bobby.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-29-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Fierce was a Christiansen Arms line of rifles?
Sorry got the screwed up and packed two thoughts together. Fierce was always Fierce but the original ones were made by Antler Arms in Quebec. They are a much better built rifle than the U.S. made ones they are selling now. I also think the Antler, and especially the K.S. Arms rifles are much better than Christensen. Christensen makes some good guns but if you have a problem with one, god help you in getting them to stand behind their product and they have more than their share of barrel and chamber problems for what is a relatively expensive rifle. If you get a good one they usually shoot lights out.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
There was a left hand stainless Tikka in .338 Federal on Gunnutz just the other day for a really good price, I mentioned it to Tirebob but he said something about his wife and permission...but it's gone now. That would have been a good solution for you too.

I only mention that to razz Bobby.
You so Razzy!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-29-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hi

I am thinking of changing rifles.
I'm currently using a 270.
I wondered what people with more experience think about changing to a 6.5Creedmor. I am changing because my current rifle is a right-handed gun and I shoot left. I am limited in my calibre options because not a lot of Tika's or Christensen come in left-handed models. It is further limited to what retailers stock. Special orders are very difficult and the wait time can be almost two years, if retailers will even do the special orders. My other option would be 30-06, which I'm not really partial to that calibre....
I hunt mostly deer, with the occasional elk and moose. Moose and Elk are very occasional due to draws.

Opinions???

Thanks in advance.
Not sure I fully understand the reason you want to change, but not judging. If you are only changing to get to a left hand gun, get a left hand .270. .270 will out perform the Creedmoor.

I’m not a fan of the Creedmoor myself, nothing wrong with the 30-06, but if that isn’t appealing go with a .308. I have had both, and personally prefer the short action .308.
Good luck!
Old 02-29-2024, 07:51 PM

There’s a great like new Christensen arms Ridgeline for sale in the sale section. It happens to be left handed, and a .308. Comes with rings too. Good deal.

Tullfan
Old 02-29-2024, 08:06 PM

I am actually a fan of the 6.5PRC, it will match the 270win in muzzle velocity, with a bullet with a higher B.C. , and it uses a short action.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:40 PM

There are valid ergonomic and safety reasons for a lefty to be shooting a left hand rifle. Unfortunately manufacturers are slow to put the latest offerings out in left hand models. As the OP stated, there’s a few Tikkas and Christensen lefties around…Tikka doesn’t offer a lefty 6.5 PRC except in the CTR, but has a lot of way more hunter friendly versions for right handed shooters. Christensen rifles get mixed reviews for QC issues …

If you’re happy with the 270 I’m sure you can find a lefty stainless T3X.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:42 AM

There are many left hand models out there that are a whole range of calibers, and all in stock.

Just pick a brand and go! Okay, not all brands are lefty, but there are quick a few out there now a days that are.

My son ran a lefty in 270wsm in the xbolt. Was a good shooter. My wife now runs an xbolt in 7mm-08.

A few choices: If you stick with the 270 like you already have, bonus you already have ammo.

https://nechakooutdoors.ca/firearms/...t-hand/?page=3

https://trappergord.com/270win-t3x-l...21ll113-1.html
Trapper seems to have a few models in LH. This is just one.

https://www.bartonsbigcountry.ca/firearms/left-hand/

I have a friend that is getting into hunting and is left handed and will be searching for a lefty for him soon, so I'm up to date on were the lefties are.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Gotta ask......

I hate my 30-06! Every time I point it at game and squeeze the trigger the darned critter lays down and dies. It’s caused no end of hard work packing critters out, cutting them and filling the freezer. No sir! That’s a horrible chambering.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:09 PM

Thanks everybody for the info.
That's a lot to think about and digest.

I wasn't a fan of the 30-06 just because I was under the belief that it wasn't as flat shooting as the 270 or 6.5 PCR.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I wasn't a fan of the 30-06 just because I was under the belief that it wasn't as flat shooting as the 270 or 6.5 PCR.
The 30-06 isn't as flat shooting as the 270win, which isn't as flat shooting as the 6.5PRC.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 30-06 isn't as flat shooting as the 270win, which isn't as flat shooting as the 6.5PRC.
Thanks for the information. I'm really not that knowledgeable in relation to guns.
Been shooting the same gun for 45 years....

How would a 308 compare to 270?
Old 03-01-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
There’s a great like new Christensen arms Ridgeline for sale in the sale section. It happens to be left handed, and a .308. Comes with rings too. Good deal.

Tullfan

Thanks I'll check it out!
Old 03-01-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Gotta ask......

I have owned an awful lot of different cartridges, never a 270, and until 2 years ago, never a 30-06. A 7 Rem mag has almost the same recoil and better performance all round. Have hunted with a 7 mag of one sort or another for years. Between it, 45 70s of various types nd a 308s , these three would account forlr a very big part of the game i have taken. The only game i have ever shot with an 06 were driven hogs, and African plains game, all with rental rifles. Worked fine.

Only reason I ended up with an 06 is I found a left hand Sako in full length Manlicher stock. Been looking for one of those for years, would have preferred 308, 7x57, 280 AI or a ton of others but after this many years looking, 06 will do. Shot it at the range, shoots great. We shall see if I ever end up actually hunting with it. Great thing about the 06 is you can find ammo anywhere in the world.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I hate my 30-06! Every time I point it at game and squeeze the trigger the darned critter lays down and dies. It’s caused no end of hard work packing critters out, cutting them and filling the freezer. No sir! That’s a horrible chambering.
I have the same problem with my boring old 308.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:

A 30-06 may not be flat shooting but how far are you really shooting?

The average hunter is not going to be reaching out far enough for it to matter

Personally I think a left handed 270win would likely treat you just fine but that is my opinion. I don’t know if you reload or not but if you are going to be running factory ammo you might want to look into cost and availability if you are considering a caliber less common too

Truthfully there is a lot of options that will do the job you want and a lot of calibers will out preform the shooter even if they fall short of another caliber on paper

A lot of the guys who have responded are more knowledgeable than I am regarding the performance of different calibers so I will stay out of that. All I am saying is consider what you are actually going to do with the rifle vs well X caliber can do this vs this.

Just something to think about is all
Old 03-01-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Your belief was correct. For deer and moose, your .270 is awesome. Shots under 500m for moose and deer are normal.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:35 PM

I too am a lefty. It can be difficult to find the right rifle in left hand. Tikka, browning and savage are the most popular in left hand rifles.But for a cartridge, a 270 is a great one. If you like it stick with it. Other cartridges you can try are the 30-06, 308, or 7mm. These are the go to cartridges. I personally don’t really like the 6.5 creedmoor, I would go for a 7mm-08 instead. But the creedmoor has it beat with ammunition availability.

I don’t own either of the 270 or 6.5 creedmoor. But ballistics says the 270 wins every time.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:12 PM

My hunting buddy shoots left and solved his problem by buying an Browning BLR.
you can get a 308, 270,3006, or 300mag.
Henry makes them too but I believe only in the short action calibers
Old 03-02-2024, 04:36 PM

Great deal right here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429358

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I agree. Those older rem BDLs are great guns. Still have a couple in LH. I still have one in 7 rem mag i bought brand new back in the 70s. Was one of the first lh magnum rifles Remington produced. Remington put out, the lh in 270 and 06 a couple of years earlier. Mine was the first 7 mag, in the first shipment of lh bdl 7 mags, Remington sent to Canada. Dot at WW Arcade ordered it for me the year before. Before that, the lh choice was Savage 110. Wore out 3 of those in 300 Win Mag before the Remington came out.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-02-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:52 AM

Thanks everybody for the input.
I do reload and after reading all the feedback and comments, I'm going to stick with the 270.
I'll just look a left handed 270.