Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 10:54 AM

Default Rifle bedding

So, I’m just going to try and get my ducks lined up ahead of time instead of scrambling.
I bought a new Tikka T3 superlite. Bought new bottom metal, a Near manufacturing scope mount. Bolt fluted. And it shoots well.
So then I went and bought a Stocky stock carbon fibre stock with their new carbon vblock. Anyway, Stocky’s says no need for bedding, bolt it in and go!
So, do I bolt it in and go? Or bed it?
I do not have the stock yet, in the mail. They say it should fit better than factory, or as good.
I have never had a rifle bedded before? Is there a member here that could do it for me? I’m sure I could you tube it, I’m not incompetent, lol. I just don’t have the desire to do it and I think would skew my outcome.
I’ll pay for the time and materials. I’m in South Calgary.
Tullfan
Old 02-26-2024, 11:47 AM

Bolt it in and try it. If it won't shoot at least as good as the factory non-bedded stock, send it back. You are paying big bucks for the V-block technology. If you are going to bed the rifle, no need to pay extra for something bedding will effectively eliminate anyhow.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:52 PM

I'd send it to Henry Rempel, a local gunsmith. He does spectacular work.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:57 PM

I would take the manufacturers recommendation first, then if it doesn't shoot well look for a solution or return the stock...
Old 02-26-2024, 04:19 PM

Awesome, thank you gentlemen. We’ll see how it goes once it gets here.
I’ll take some pics, should be sexy.
Tullfan
Old 02-27-2024, 12:17 AM

You we will have to post up the results once you have it in the new stock.

I am just in the process of Devcon bedding the Anschutz 1710 HB I just picked up. Most of them are really well bedded and quite a few I have not actually glass bedded, just use them the way they came from the factory but this one has a very different recoil lug arrangement than any of my other Anschutz rifles. This one actually has a recoil lug similar to a Rem 700, though much smaller, rather than the tightly inset into the stock, locating lug on most 54 actions.

I find the fit of the recoil lug and the bedding in general to be too loose for my liking. I am a big fan of bedding most rifles for both accuracy and stability of the wood, not to mention resistance to compression and cracking in the inletted areas. This one already shoots really good groups so it will be interesting to see if they get even better after bedding the recoil lug and the foirst .75" of the barrel/chamber area.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You we will have to post up the results once you have it in the new stock.

I am just in the process of Devcon bedding the Anschutz 1710 HB I just picked up. Most of them are really well bedded and quite a few I have not actually glass bedded, just use them the way they came from the factory but this one has a very different recoil lug arrangement than any of my other Anschutz rifles. This one actually has a recoil lug similar to a Rem 700, though much smaller, rather than the tightly inset into the stock, locating lug on most 54 actions.

I find the fit of the recoil lug and the bedding in general to be too loose for my liking. I am a big fan of bedding most rifles for both accuracy and stability of the wood, not to mention resistance to compression and cracking in the inletted areas. This one already shoots really good groups so it will be interesting to see if they get even better after bedding the recoil lug and the foirst .75" of the barrel/chamber area.
You were actually the reason I made this post. You made the bedding sound magical and I wanted some of that magic? I don’t know if I need it yet, lol. I’ll let you guys know what happens. I may hate the stock?
We’ll see.
Tullfan
Old 02-27-2024, 08:31 PM

Hopefully all goes smoothly and it shoots better than factory !

Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 AM

Make sure you post up some pics and results when you get the new stock on and setup.

I've had my eye on one of those for a while now, I almost pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago but ended up holding off.

I'm VERY curious to see your results.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Make sure you post up some pics and results when you get the new stock on and setup.

I've had my eye on one of those for a while now, I almost pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago but ended up holding off.

I'm VERY curious to see your results.
You bet. It shipped today. It was about $850ish shipped, and there may or may not be brokerage fees.
So for almost a grand, it better be sexy! Lol. Uuhm I mean shoot well.

Tullfan
Old 03-06-2024, 07:01 PM

Default Stocky stock Carbon fiber

Well just a quick update.
Stock arrived today. It sure is pretty. However, the action rocked up and down in the stock. The moutain tactical recoil lug was loos AF, it moves back and forth about .020", the bottom metal doesn"s sit flush with the stock, the back of the action sits way low in the stock, the rear sling swivel is not screwed in all the way, and the limbsaver, mostely fits, lol.
So the stock will be going back, with exchange and brokerage it was about $1000 landed.
I'll sell it for what I paid less brokerage if someone wants a nice stock to bed to their left hand tikka. This guys not going to do it.
Sorry for the bad news. I wanted to love this stock. Sigh.

Tullfan
Old 03-06-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Stock arrived today. It sure is pretty. However, the action rocked up and down in the stock. The moutain tactical recoil lug was loos AF, it moves back and forth about .020", the bottom metal doesn"s sit flush with the stock, the back of the action sits way low in the stock, the rear sling swivel is not screwed in all the way, and the limbsaver, mostely fits, lol.
So the stock will be going back, with exchange and brokerage it was about $1000 landed.
I'll sell it for what I paid less brokerage if someone wants a nice stock to bed to their left hand tikka. This guys not going to do it.

Tullfan
That’s unfortunate to hear.

I have just handled a McMillan Game Warden and a Pure Precision Altitude and they are both great stocks.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:05 PM

Well that sucks. I think I would just get a bell and Carlson from PR.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:41 PM

have you talked to anyone who tried products from this company? they are local, maybe talk to them
http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html
Old 03-06-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well that sucks. I think I would just get a bell and Carlson from PR.
Agree.
I've got a few B&C stocks. The fit has always been good. After bedding them, the fit is great. I have found them to be nice upgrade on the factory stock.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Agree.
I've got a few B&C stocks. The fit has always been good. After bedding them, the fit is great. I have found them to be nice upgrade on the factory stock.
My buddy at work got a B&c from prophet, fit great shoots good too, lol.I had to have carbon, mines poopy. Lol. Well when I get my money back. I’ll just get one of them. Lol.
Sad Tullfan.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:32 PM

Wildcat are made right here and they are as good as it gets. He will fully bed and paint it for less than the one you ordered in.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Wildcat are made right here and they are as good as it gets. He will fully bed and paint it for less than the one you ordered in.
I will second this I have 2 wildcat stocks one vartac on my semi custom .223 and a KS Tac hunter on my 6.5X55. He makes a great quality product and I've been pleased with mine. I had him do a full install on my .223 which included painting bedding etc and he does one of the nicest rifle bedding jobs I've ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230903_120216.jpg (39.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by prarie_boy1; 03-07-2024 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:59 PM

i do not see a left hand option on wildcats website
Old 03-08-2024, 06:09 AM

There isn’t one, but they can be converted to LH.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-12-2024, 02:47 PM

Default Update cause we love updates.

After talking to Stocky, and voicing my displeasure they offered me some cash back for the hassle. So I have kept the stock. I gave the sling swivel another turn and it now sits flush. That bottom metal that sits proud by like (without measuring) a 32nd maybe less. They said that is normal and the way they are manufactured. OK? and where the tang sits, they make it a little deeper to provide space to bed and contour if need be.
So it was not the drop in stock I had hoped. It is also for too time consuming for me to contour my stock or bed it. blah blah blah.
I can sit on it for a bit or sell it to someone who may want to or has the time to fit it nicely. I fix motorcycles, symmetrical and pretty are my thing, some things irritate me when I don't get my way.
I did buy a B&C stock from PR that will be here Thursday,($500, to my door). The aluminum bedding block seems like a good idea, and the fit seems good (as far as my co workers rifle looks) so, round 2 of this nonsense. Hopefully it won't need to be bedded, but I guess that's always an option, eh. Was there anything wrong with the factory stock? lol.
Anyway, update, updated.
See ya Thursday for update 3. lol.

Tullfan
Old 03-12-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post

Tullfan
Way too many complaints about Stockys carbon stocks online for me to try one. The peak 44 stock looks good though.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:29 PM

I just received my stockys vg tikka stock not long ago and think it fits good. I haven’t shot it to say how it shoots compared to factory but it fits just as good as factory if not better. I did look into the wildcats as well but the stockys came out significantly cheaper during one of the sales they had. I mean it’s all for nothing though if doesn’t shoot well but as far as fit and looks I have not complaints about it so far.