Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
I see the usual Monday morning quarterbacks are out in force, yet, many (not all) don't have a clue.

Do I know about major plumbing work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about major electrical work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about rocket science? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

And on and on...Get the point? I hope so.

Look, what we have here is an officer(s) that acted on a situation. Was he/she right or not? Not up to me to decide, nor will I speculate on the "so called facts" presented on our very often edited/distorted/politized social media, which many seem to thrive and rely on.

I am pretty sure this will be resolved, either way, with the process they have in place.

Hope all had a great Family Day long weekend!...
As anyone that actually bothered to read the releases is well aware of, the situation has been resolved as far as the police force is concerned. All that remains to be seen, is whether the guy being shot at sues, and how much he receives.

Quote:
"We're actually going to use this particular case as training for the rest of our staff as a potential thing that we need to watch out for to make sure that we never put someone's life in jeopardy again," Sheriff Aden said in the prerecorded video.

The investigation reports that Jackson did not fire a weapon. It also states the sound Hernandez heard was likely an acorn hitting the roof of his car.

Luckily, Jackson, who was in the back of the patrol car, was not hurt.

Meanwhile, Deputy Hernandez resigned from the force in December after an internal investigation found his use of force was not objectively reasonable.
So the police force agrees with all of the posters, that stated that the officer's behaviour was not reasonable.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-19-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
As a Range officer? would you tolerate this level of incompetence on your range??????? I think NOT! But if the guy on the range is wearing a blue suit all is forgiven? Have I got that about right??
You folks who defend this type of negligent discharging of a firearm like it is no big deal? Maybe you need to pull your brain out of your blue suit and see it for what this was, DANGEROUS. This should end both their careers and the TRAINING center along with the trainers should be torn down and fired.
But you do you!
I re-read every post and not one person, even fordtruckin, was supporting the actions of the officer in the video.

fordtruckin was responding to this blank statement about law enforcement...

I suspect they all get the same training regardless of dept. Police are all cranked up and believe everyone is a bad guy and wants to kill them.
More guns and body armor they have the more aggressive.
Can you imagine what their response would have been if the squirrel was male licensed gun owner.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
I see the usual Monday morning quarterbacks are out in force, yet, many (not all) don't have a clue.

Do I know about major plumbing work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about major electrical work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about rocket science? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

And on and on...Get the point? I hope so.

Look, what we have here is an officer(s) that acted on a situation. Was he/she right or not? Not up to me to decide, nor will I speculate on the "so called facts" presented on our very often edited/distorted/politized social media, which many seem to thrive and rely on.

I am pretty sure this will be resolved, either way, with the process they have in place.

Hope all had a great Family Day long weekend!...
I am not an electrician, but I can tell you when an electrician does a real poor job.

I am not a plumber, but I can recognize shoddy work when I see it.

I am not a rocket surgeon but I feel something was amiss with Challenger.

And on and on. Get the point? You may get tired of comments, but your trade is not beyond critique.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I re-read every post and not one person, even fordtruckin, was supporting the actions of the officer in the video.

fordtruckin was responding to this blank statement about law enforcement...

I suspect they all get the same training regardless of dept. Police are all cranked up and believe everyone is a bad guy and wants to kill them.
More guns and body armor they have the more aggressive.
Can you imagine what their response would have been if the squirrel was male licensed gun owner.
Your response is quite expected. RCMP in Sask. their firearms training is less then a week and maybe some class time so they know which end to point at the "Bad" guys. I suspect most "Officers" are less then proficient with their firearms. And judging by the numbers who I have shot with/against over the years they are far from qualified. Most draw their side arm once a year, fire six rounds to requalify, then never touch it again. (There are a few who take their profession seriously but in my experience they are few and far between) But rave on.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:43 PM

how much do i need to pay a squirrel to throw an acorn near trudeau's guards ?
Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
how much do i need to pay a squirrel to throw an acorn near trudeau's guards ?

I'll donate a 5 gallon bucket of acorns for that project!
Old 02-19-2024, 10:04 PM

What that officer did has little to do with gun training.
It has to do with his lack of cognitive skill at that moment.
He may have had that skill at one time but his mental, or emotional, level at that moment prevented him from making a logical decision.
The system failed to remove him from a job that he was not capable of effectively doing.
It could have been PTSD or he was just not a good fit for a job that requires quick logical decisions.
We will never know but it was a good thing that he resigned.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
What that officer did has little to do with gun training.
It has to do with his lack of cognitive skill at that moment.
He may have had that skill at one time but his mental, or emotional, level at that moment prevented him from making a logical decision.
The system failed to remove him from a job that he was not capable of effectively doing.
It could have been PTSD or he was just not a good fit for a job that requires quick logical decisions.
We will never know but it was a good thing that he resigned.
Well said!
Old 02-19-2024, 11:01 PM

If nothing else, this incident has shown the importance of practicing acorn drills....

https://twitter.com/Mrgunsngear/stat...392314251?s=20

Old 02-19-2024, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
If nothing else, this incident has shown the importance of practicing acorn drills....

That's awesome.
If you can laugh at this, you're on the right track.
If it offends you, I don't want you in the position of up holding the law or having the authority to use lethal force.
People need to lighten up.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:57 AM

For what its worth - on a recent trip to Napa we were enjoying a glass on wine on the patio of a winery when I heard what I swore to be gunshots. About 6 of them in altered succession. PAP......PAP>PAP>PAP.....PAP...PAP. It had me wary enough that my guard was up - and I was scanning a distant tree line about 100 yards away for whatever was making the commotion. Its California - you never know what could be around the corner.

Turns out it was just acorns falling from 100 feet up and landing on the expansive wooden deck. As a prairie kid who's never seen an acorn - let alone heard one hitting the deck, I was pretty confident that it was a gunshot. We heard some hit the car roof later in the day and again - we mentioned that it also sounded like gunshots.

It happens man - not sure that what he this officer did was warranted - but that sound was pretty realistic for me. No excuse for unloading at anyone, but I do understand the situation.
Lucky no one was hurt.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post
For what its worth - on a recent trip to Napa we were enjoying a glass on wine on the patio of a winery when I heard what I swore to be gunshots. About 6 of them in altered succession. PAP......PAP>PAP>PAP.....PAP...PAP. It had me wary enough that my guard was up - and I was scanning a distant tree line about 100 yards away for whatever was making the commotion. Its California - you never know what could be around the corner.

Turns out it was just acorns falling from 100 feet up and landing on the expansive wooden deck. As a prairie kid who's never seen an acorn - let alone heard one hitting the deck, I was pretty confident that it was a gunshot. We heard some hit the car roof later in the day and again - we mentioned that it also sounded like gunshots.

It happens man - not sure that what he this officer did was warranted - but that sound was pretty realistic for me. No excuse for unloading at anyone, but I do understand the situation.
Lucky no one was hurt.
I’m glad you didn’t slash your wife’s throat with a wine glass and then call an ambulance for yourself……..
Old 02-20-2024, 08:52 AM

my thoughts are what are the police doing out there? Both police officers unloaded at least 20 shots, towards a handcuffed guy in a patrol car, none hit the guy. I'm now wondering how may shots actually hit the car? looked like an episode of the keystone cops, u just can't make that stuff up! it would be funny if it wasn't so cringy

this is worse than a "hunter" unloading his savage into the bushes because he heard something! both need to be fired and charged with public endangerment

Last edited by makin tracks; 02-20-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Logging is a dangerous job, but I would guess that most trees are not intentionally trying to kill the Logger.
Except Oak trees.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
my thoughts are what are the police doing out there? Both police officers unloaded at least 20 shots, towards a handcuffed guy in a patrol car, none hit the guy. I'm now wondering how may shots actually hit the car? looked like an episode of the keystone cops, u just can't make that stuff up! it would be funny if it wasn't so cringy

this is worse than a "hunter" unloading his savage into the bushes because he heard something! both need to
be fired and charged with public endangerment
The incident reminds me of the Nova Scotia firehall incident, two officers open fire on someone that presents no danger, they fire a large number of rounds, and through sheer luck, nobody is hurt.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The incident reminds me of the Nova Scotia firehall incident, two officers open fire on someone that presents no danger, they fire a large number of rounds, and through sheer luck, nobody is hurt.
Crazy! it's wild no one got killed!
some fellow a few years ago west of Penhold, just leaving a shooting range, saw a kids tree fort, and decided it needed some ventilation! property owner was beyond himself, shooter got extremely lucky!
These two police officers on the other hand, being trained, in a residential area, having the situation under control, are beyond me!
Old 02-20-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’m glad you didn’t slash your wife’s throat with a wine glass and then call an ambulance for yourself……..
Yup, there it is. Coffee all over the phone. lol
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

I would have laughed twice as hard had he holed his tailgate or blown out his back window!

Old 02-20-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef612 View Post

Lucky no one was hurt.
Strange, no scrub oak trees where you grew up?
Old 02-21-2024, 11:40 AM

I'm seeing more and more Alberta sheriff's and less and less RCMP. I feel this gives more provincial influence which is better but its sort of the same type of policing.
Example who are these police officer's? Dont seem to be local or known. Don't take part in off duty community things. Basically outsider's armed heavier and armored more than what my grandfather fought in the big war with.
How do you police a community if you just drive around in cruiser and go to calls and probably just arrest people and ticket people. Would it not be better to be part of the community, approachable, trusted and just know the people and what is going on. If they got to know the people in a good way they would be better able to do their job which is to use common sense and discretion for the good of the community.
Example be crazy to send RCMP to some foreign country to drive around in armored cruiser and ticket people and answer calls and just go arrest anybody they can for anything and seize as many guns as they can. Would not work well for them. That is kind of what is going on.
Another thing is how is out possible and I will use the storm trooper incident in Lethbridge. So four car loads of police and not one of those police officer's had any sense to say to others. Hey young police officer's you are going overboard. Let's think about this. If it was one rookie officer having a bad day I could understand it better.
Elected chief's or local sheriff I still think is good idea.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:32 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned. I'm betting this guy is a vet and has severe Ptsd . When i was a kid in the early 80's a Vietnam vet was one of our boy scouts counselors . one of the other counselors set off a firecracker during a camp fire story and this guy dove for cover and was shaking / chain-smoking wreck for the rest of the weekend .
Old 02-21-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned. I'm betting this guy is a vet and has severe Ptsd . When i was a kid in the early 80's a Vietnam vet was one of our boy scouts counselors . one of the other counselors set off a firecracker during a camp fire story and this guy dove for cover and was shaking / chain-smoking wreck for the rest of the weekend .
As long as we are speculating with absolutely no information whatsoever, I bet the guy grew up playing Call of Duty and HALO while chugging Mountain Dew and Monster energy drinks, had a fetish for his step mom, was beaten by his uncle, abused by his Catholic priest, is bipolar with an eating disorder, and is allergic to nuts. It all adds up to shooting up his cruiser while feeling weird. He probably voted for Trump too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
As long as we are speculating with absolutely no information whatsoever, I bet the guy grew up playing Call of Duty and HALO while chugging Mountain Dew and Monster energy drinks, had a fetish for his step mom, was beaten by his uncle, abused by his Catholic priest, is bipolar with an eating disorder, and is allergic to nuts. It all adds up to shooting up his cruiser while feeling weird. He probably voted for Trump too.
Nobody does the Dew and chugs Monster at the same time!!! Stop being silly.😀
Old 02-21-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
TC, something for you to think about... The poster you decided to be a Richard too has been a member since 2012, his contributions like others are very small. He offered his thoughts because of his experience and in fine AO nature you pounce on it.

Honestly it is no wonder hardly anyone posts here anymore
Old 02-21-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
I think that makes the most sense and I thought about it too. I am still not sure why he emptied his magazine into the cruiser though.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Best post of 2024. Not even close.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
TC, something for you to think about... The poster you decided to be a Richard too has been a member since 2012, his contributions like others are very small. He offered his thoughts because of his experience and in fine AO nature you pounce on it.

Honestly it is no wonder hardly anyone posts here anymore

This whole thread has devolved into speculation, and bias. You can call it a pounce, I call it participating in the trend. If it's a derail or out of line, like 75% of the posts in the last 3 pages, by all means report my post. A suspension for being a Richard might do me good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
This whole thread has devolved into speculation, and bias. You can call it a pounce, I call it participating in the trend. If it's a derail or out of line, like 75% of the posts in the last 3 pages, by all means report my post. A suspension for being a Richard might do me good.
Bad Richard. Bad Richard.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:49 PM

Ruchard Noggin

Old 02-21-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Haha made me think of this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk