Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2024, 07:50 PM

Default The Last Stand

Not meaning to give those boys a shameless plug but, there you go Geoff & Rick. Even though I don’t use any of the gear that they do, the title is fitting.

I started today with high hopes. Post storm. Fresh snow. Calm winds. Cool but not cold. They should be on.

After getting blanked my first stand, I made a second. Completely misread the contour of the land and ended up with a big low spot directly downwind of me. I got to watch one lope away from me. It probably got sub 100 yards before winding me for crying out loud. “Right on. You’re really playing to win today hey.” I figured I’d switch it up and moved about 8 miles west. A spot I had called earlier in the season was ready for another go and the wind was perfect. I hiked the mile in and got settled.

Not enjoying any earlier success with the caller, I let wail with the mouth calls. 9-10 minutes in, I saw about 30 whitetails blow out of a slough bottom to the north of me. “Something is inbound” I thought and readied myself for the impending action. A pair of coyotes came into view about 250-275 yards away. It was at this time, the one started acting a touch nervous and I heard the loud, low drone of a big diesel. Looking east, I could see a testing crew of some sort coming up the half mile line. “You’re kidding me”!! Looking back to the pair, I saw one make the trees, then the other. They started yapping in the trees but the stand was shot. They didn’t make me, so I’ll get back to them later in the week. I was sour with the crew, but they didn’t know any better and are just out earning a buck. I hoped they were having a better day than myself. Okay, we’re switching areas again. 10miles north.

I hadn’t called this spot yet this year. Another blank. Well, let’s hit another spot. Blanked even though at least 5 coyotes answered my howls in the set. It was 4:18 when I got back to the truck. Time for one more stand. 70mph to my entry point, I hurriedly gathered my gear after parking in a hidden location and started high stepping in.

The Last Stand

After getting the caller situated and myself, atop a little mound; I let rip with a single howl. It was immediately answered by one, then another and another until I lost count. No joke, there was at least a dozen howling but it sounded like there was 50. The closest being sub 400 yards. I was set up nicely for some shotgun action so I started singing with the mouth call. Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Again. Same result. Maybe venison as deer trails abound around my hide. Fawn distress on the caller produced nothing. Light was fading fast. “Guess we’ll try some pup distress and hope to evoke a pack response.” I got a hand on the grip of the shotgun and let fly. Maybe 30 seconds after letting loose with the sounds of a crying pup, flashes of movement in the trees caught my eyes. Lots of movement - multiples. Mute the caller.

A pair broke from the trees initially, then a single and finally another pair. There are 5. I need to play this smart. The first pair were the closest to me and I needed them to get further away from the trees so that when I shot, it wasn’t in the direction of the other three. With all 5 coyotes now within 100 yards, things were going to happen fast.

I swung into motion on one of the first pair and it came to a stop at about 45 yards. The shotgun barked and a load of #4 Buck found the head and neck of my target, folding it instantly. Getting on the second coyote of the first pair, I ripped twice and saw it roll, or so I thought. Dropping the shotgun and mounting the rifle, it was chaos in front of me. The crosshairs settled on the arse of a fleeing coyote. BOOM! CHOP! The air was filled with the cry’s of the coyote I had just struck. Cycling another round in, I was unable to get on the other two. A quick glance back towards the coyote I had just shot showed it streaking for the trees. I fell into a nice lead after a quick adjustment on the bipod. BOOM! CHOP! And I saw a big spray of snow. I quickly switched to dying coyote on the caller and saw more streaking in the trees. A silver ghost appeared in a small window through the branches and stopped. I settled the crosshairs on the base of the neck and sent the 40gr Berger. BOOM! CHOP! I watched it hunch up and fold in the scope. With the caller still wailing, movement once more caught my eye as another coyote materialized from the timber. My rifle was not in the correct position at this moment and the coyote was staring intently in my direction. Thinking I already had 4 down, “let’s risk it for the biscuit” and I made my move. The coyote wheeled immediately and made for the trees. It stopped just inside the tree line when I woofed at it. As a head, neck and shoulder appeared in the crosshairs whilst peeking back from behind a big poplar, the trigger broke once more. BOOM! CHOP! “Is that 5! Did I just get 5”? Looking back out to where the shotgunning had occurred, I saw just a single laying there. I walked out to investigate and the second one had indeed gotten up and peaced out. “Damn.” On my stroll to collect the other three, I looked over and saw tines poking up through the snow. “NO WAY! A shed too!” Thinking it was a big whitetail shed, I was slightly let down when it turned out to be a mule deer. First quad of the year and it was darn near five.

It was a bit of a tough day overall but, I’m glad I stuck with it. Really wish I would have got that 5th too but it wasn’t to be I suppose. I hope you enjoy the read and pics. It wasn’t a big numbers day like I had hoped but, that was a hell of a last stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Lou; 02-05-2024 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:13 PM

Well done Lou. Your a killin machine.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:21 PM

Love your threads!
Congratulations on an awesome day.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well done Lou. Your a killin machine.
Many thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Love your threads!
Congratulations on an awesome day.
I’m glad you dig them CB. Happy to share. Gracias.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:54 PM

Excellent story and photo's ,great hunt . Really like reading your stories just keep them coming .

Your the real deal Big Lou .

Cheers
JD
Old 02-05-2024, 10:56 PM

Another great day, Lou!

Sometimes sticking with it doesn’t pay off, but when it does, man oh man…

Good stuff!
Old 02-05-2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Excellent story and photo's ,great hunt . Really like reading your stories just keep them coming .

Your the real deal Big Lou .

Cheers
JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Another great day, Lou!

Sometimes sticking with it doesn’t pay off, but when it does, man oh man…

Good stuff!
Thanks gent’s. I’m glad the feedback is positive and stories, well received. My buddy I initiated a couple weeks ago wants to go out again this week. Hopefully more to share in the coming days.

Fun fact JD, my nickname for the longest time was in fact, The Real Deal.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:20 AM

Well I guess I picked your name right ,some talk about it and some are just The Real Deal .

Had to laugh to myself on that one , you just keep making it happen and I will enjoy your hunts .

Cheers
JD
Old 02-06-2024, 06:10 AM

Nice shooting! It's hard to keep composure in those situations and you handled it well!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-06-2024, 06:38 AM

Great day Lou, nothing, nothing then all hell breaks loose, sweet, well done.

I haven't been out for a while, been fighting a cold and generally feeling crappy for well over a week now, am on the mend and hopefully in the next couple day's I can get out and give them a go.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:58 PM

Sure enjoy your pics & write-ups Lou. It's easy to get in the moment when you describe action everywhere. Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-06-2024, 09:21 PM

Default nice going

Thanks for saving a few fawns
Old 02-06-2024, 09:21 PM

Loving the write-ups and living vicariously through your hunts. Thanks for continuing to post!

DR

Old 02-06-2024, 11:23 PM

Some great shooting,,,,,

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-07-2024, 06:39 PM

Was a bit of a lack lustre day again, fraught with frustration. Had a set ruined again whilst a coyote was charging in. Had 6 other blank stands. Had four coming on my last stand of the day but a fight broke out well out of rifle range and three of my four were gone. Then the single winded me and I missed it twice departing. Can’t win em all.

A lot of effort for one coyote but, it was a big Tom, in a deer rich spot.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Nice shooting! It's hard to keep composure in those situations and you handled it well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Great day Lou, nothing, nothing then all hell breaks loose, sweet, well done.

I haven't been out for a while, been fighting a cold and generally feeling crappy for well over a week now, am on the mend and hopefully in the next couple day's I can get out and give them a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sure enjoy your pics & write-ups Lou. It's easy to get in the moment when you describe action everywhere. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Thanks for saving a few fawns
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Loving the write-ups and living vicariously through your hunts. Thanks for continuing to post!

DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Some great shooting,,,,,
Appreciate it fellows. Thank you and you’re very welcome.

Hope you’re feeling better Ed.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:35 PM

Looks like a real healthy one Lou . When you think it's all going to work out things go side ways and when you thing nothings going to happen all hell breaks out .

That's what makes hunting great ,the unknown is the rush.

Great shooting ,great work and thread.

CHEERS
JD