Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Exclamation **Attracting Mule Deer**

Like most amature hunters frusteration builds when I cant find the right combination to get that big mulie to stick around or come around at all. I have tried a couple of things to get their attention, most of which does not work at all, but found good luck with one technique. The "Primos Buck Roar" proved to be fair-moderately effective when used in combination with a bit of light rattling. If anyone has any advice to other ways that have proved effective in attracting Mule deer, PLEASE help a fellow hunter out, I would love nothing more than to have my first mount be a Mulie taken by my bow.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM

It's WAY too early to be calling yet. The 'Buck Roar' (from what I've thus far read) has to be used carefully. I believe that it is a whitetail call though, but a rut-crazed mulie may come into it. It was designed and built from the sound a super aggresive dominante buck makes during those few days of the rut when they've entirely lost their minds. I would use it only if I knew that a big dominant buck was in the area. Otherwise, I fear, it will spook off most of the other bucks who already have their does and have no interest in sparring with a maniac!

If you do want to play around calling while the season is still new, grab a fawn distress call. I've had a number of does come into bow range while playing around with it, and sometimes there can be a decent buck in tow. If you can, use a fawn decoy to instantly double your chances.

Good luck getting your first bow mount mulie. Just chill out for a bit and let nature take it's course.

Tree
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 PM

You could always try black oil sunflower seed, have mulies in the yard all winter long eatin' the stuff.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM

Build a pole barn ! I have a Buck living in mine each year !

Wife even plants a garden for them !
("I've" been "told" the back yard HAS to be FENCED next spring ! )
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Hoochie Papa

If you want a gagger Muley outside of the rut, you need to go to him. Pattern his movements, then find the best setup whether it be a stand, or blind. Get between his feed and bed or his water, and get him on the way by.
Those big boys don't get big by running to any sound made in the woods.

Or just the proper intricate placement of a horseshoe.

Tags
attract, bow, calls, deer, mule