Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Default Doing a Moose roast with a convection oven

Is there some trick to using a convection over and cooking game to medium rare. Do I just set it for 350 at 20 minutes per pound as if I was roasting beef? I always thought that with the convection things roasted more quickly? FS
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Sorry, can't answer your question.

But we eat a lot of moose roast and have always had much better luck with the slow cooker and creamed soups. The gravy is awesome and the meat is moister.

Don't mean to hijack.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM

they cook faster for sure but if you need help with it just pm your address directions and phone # and i will come over to supervise you and do a taste test and i will even bring the scotch
Old 12-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Do it low and slow better that way..
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
they cook faster for sure but if you need help with it just pm your address directions and phone # and i will come over to supervise you and do a taste test and i will even bring the scotch
What he said ^^

Meat thermometer is best to have, heat and weight don't always work.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 PM

i usually do prime rib @ 160-175 c for like 5-6 hours med rare
alittle over kill with the 300c lower the heat

Last edited by fishtank; 12-07-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Is there some trick to using a convection over and cooking game to medium rare. Do I just set it for 350 at 20 minutes per pound as if I was roasting beef? I always thought that with the convection things roasted more quickly? FS
Convection is another word for stirring. In this case "Air"
This is achieved in an oven by employing a fan to drive the heated air over your product. Pushing a fan in one direction makes for hot-spotting and uneven cooking-so-the better convection ovens will stop the fan and reverse it's rotation. However everytime the fan stops to change direction-you lose cooking speed.

Although convection ovens could reduce cooking times by up to 20% it increases moisture loss at an even greater rate.Especially in a high moisture meat like moose- you are essentially dehydrating that moose roast.

Moisture is the enemy of browning and so convection ovens can get great browning results by drying the meat surface. Good for color-bad for tenderness and moisture.

If you insist on using convection then reduce the oven temp by 25-40 F

A meat thermometer would be exceedingly helpful in preventing shoe leather in this case.

High temps cause rapid coagulation( firming and shrinking) of the protein.
Cooking at a lower temperature will result in a more pleasing outcome.

Best outcomes would be achieved by utilizing Delta T.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Default choices

Hey I just want to make a great roast and I thought convection was the answer, I am open to all suggestions, thanks FS
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Convection is another word for stirring. In this case "Air"
This is achieved in an oven by employing a fan to drive the heated air over your product. Pushing a fan in one direction makes for hot-spotting and uneven cooking-so-the better convection ovens will stop the fan and reverse it's rotation. However everytime the fan stops to change direction-you lose cooking speed.

Although convection ovens could reduce cooking times by up to 20% it increases moisture loss at an even greater rate.Especially in a high moisture meat like moose- you are essentially dehydrating that moose roast.

Moisture is the enemy of browning and so convection ovens can get great browning results by drying the meat surface. Good for color-bad for tenderness and moisture.

If you insist on using convection then reduce the oven temp by 25-40 F

A meat thermometer would be exceedingly helpful in preventing shoe leather in this case.

High temps cause rapid coagulation( firming and shrinking) of the protein.
Cooking at a lower temperature will result in a more pleasing outcome.

Best outcomes would be achieved by utilizing Delta T.

Delta t, is this a reference to changing the temperature as in lower and cooking a little longer?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM

My mom and mother in law do roasts in the oven... My other half does them in the slow cooker and they hare better. Mmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Delta t, is this a reference to changing the temperature as in lower and cooking a little longer?
Delta means difference. In this case the difference between the oven temperature and the internal temperature of the roast. Let's say the roast just came from the fridge and is at 40F. You take that 40F roast and put it in a 350F oven. The difference at that point is 350F -40F = 310F difference

Because of the nature of connective tissue and protein- the greater the difference-the quicker the protein coagulates(firms and shrinks) the more moisture will be driven from the cell.

In Delta T cooking you set the delta(difference) I prefer about 10F.

If the roast is at 40F then the oven is 10F hotter.
As the roast warms to lets say 100F the oven is at 110F -always just 10F hotter than the core temp of the product. And then at about 10F from your desired finished temperature the oven would cycle on and off until the oven temp and finished core temp are the same.

What does this really mean?

Cooked in a conventional oven 100 lbs of roast would yield about 75lbs of finished product.

With Delta T- 100 lbs of roast would yield about 90lb of finished product.

A convection oven would be lucky to yield 65 lbs of product
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Delta means difference. In this case the difference between the oven temperature and the internal temperature of the roast. Let's say the roast just came from the fridge and is at 40F. You take that 40F roast and put it in a 350F oven. The difference at that point is 350F -40F = 310F difference

Because of the nature of connective tissue and protein- the greater the difference-the quicker the protein coagulates(firms and shrinks) the more moisture will be driven from the cell.

In Delta T cooking you set the delta(difference) I prefer about 10F.

If the roast is at 40F then the oven is 10F hotter.
As the roast warms to lets say 100F the oven is at 110F -always just 10F hotter than the core temp of the product. And then at about 10F from your desired finished temperature the oven would cycle on and off until the oven temp and finished core temp are the same.

What does this really mean?

Cooked in a conventional oven 100 lbs of roast would yield about 75lbs of finished product.

With Delta T- 100 lbs of roast would yield about 90lb of finished product.

A convection oven would be lucky to yield 65 lbs of product

Thank you.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
What he said ^^

Meat thermometer is best to have, heat and weight don't always work.
does your oven have the little deally thing that you can plug in a meat thermometer?? something like a pyrometer..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Crock pot all the way. imo
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Default bought me a crock pot

Can. Tire had a big one on sale yesterday so I got it. Doing a pork loin roast in it right now, supposed to be pulled pork when done, to get the hang of cooking some thing for 8 .5 hours. Will get to some moose meat this week. Thanks FS
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Can. Tire had a big one on sale yesterday so I got it. Doing a pork loin roast in it right now, supposed to be pulled pork when done, to get the hang of cooking some thing for 8 .5 hours. Will get to some moose meat this week. Thanks FS
Pour a bottle of BBQ sauce on it also diced onion. Then shred with a fork about seven hrs in