Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default Don't be afraid to ask for help on the river...

For anyone that's starting off flyfishing or having a hard time catching a fish, don't be afraid to approach someone that looks like they may know what they are doing. I'm no expert but i can catch fish.

I met these 2 younger gents today, they were new to the sport but just couldn't get into a fish. One of them came my way so I said hi just to strike up a conversation. They told me they were new to the sport, I asked if they wanted help or tips.

Gave up a couple of flies, indicators, sinkers and gave some pointers. First fellow got on the water, 6 or 8 casts and fish on. The smile on that guys face made my day. He lost the fish, but I think he was more shocked that he had one on. I couldn't spend much time with them, would love to have spent more but I had to get running.

Reading stuff on the forum and being shown what to do on the river are completely different. Some guys want to be alone and will let you know that in a hurry. Most people are pretty good and will help out when they can.

Don't be afraid to ask - if that person takes a swipe at you with a fly rod, find someone else. It makes my day to help someone into fish, and it's always good to have someone to fish with.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info on asking for help, I too am new and have been out a few times on the Bow but have yet to have one on. Hope to run into you sometime.

Ken
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Nice to hear stories like this. Good on ya for helping!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up great thread!

had that happen at 22x the other day with a friend from the forum here. HE got there a bit earlier than me and helped a young fella out who was fairly new and tossing dries.. he asked the kid how his luck was, the kid said not good... he than showed him how to set up a basic nymph rig, and 1 hr later when i walked by and asked the kid how he was doing, he had caught a brown and 2 bows... amazing what happens

I always say hi, if the other person looks up at me, or towards me when I happen to glace towards shore. To me, being small town, its only the friendly thing to do... especially on smaller rivers and streams... up a river in bear country its nice to know someone else is around sometimes, even if it means water thats been fished once that day already
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM

Man I wish I ran into you today on the bow, first time there and couldn't get anything. I really wish I knew what to use and what to look for. I just started fly fishing last time and got hooked. Hopfully next week goes better.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM

good on you SD.

Sometimes the Bow can seem like daunting river to master for new bug chuckers. If you can take them and help them disect it in to a creek they are used to- the complexity disappears and success appears.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM

Good on you for helping out a couple noobies. Some of the old boys can be far from inviting when you come upon them on the Bow. Some lack the sharing skills.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissarmygeneral View Post
Good on you for helping out a couple noobies. Some of the old boys can be far from inviting when you come upon them on the Bow. Some lack the sharing skills.

Just to be fair and share the other side of the story also.

Some old boys arent much interested in helping when a young guy dressed to the high heavans in the latest craze fly gear shows up in his SUV covered in GLoomis stickers that make Monster stickers look timid. Then proceeds to walk into a run that your fly finnishes in. He's so close you can hear his iphone playing the latest Lady Gaga tune.

Theres always 2 sides
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post

Some old boys arent much interested in helping when a young guy dressed to the high heavans in the latest craze fly gear shows up in his SUV covered in GLoomis stickers that make Monster stickers look timid. Then proceeds to walk into a run that your fly finnishes in. He's so close you can hear his iphone playing the latest Lady Gaga tune.

Theres always 2 sides
That especially makes me cranky and prone to speaking my mind when it happens 5km upstream past the end of the road in the Blackstone Gap last summer. WTF?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Theres always 2 sides
I hear you chub. Your post cracked me up. I never understand why people rep energy drinks, I at least hope they're being compensated.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
For anyone that's starting off flyfishing or having a hard time catching a fish, don't be afraid to approach someone that looks like they may know what they are doing. I'm no expert but i can catch fish.

I met these 2 younger gents today, they were new to the sport but just couldn't get into a fish. One of them came my way so I said hi just to strike up a conversation. They told me they were new to the sport, I asked if they wanted help or tips.

Gave up a couple of flies, indicators, sinkers and gave some pointers. First fellow got on the water, 6 or 8 casts and fish on. The smile on that guys face made my day. He lost the fish, but I think he was more shocked that he had one on. I couldn't spend much time with them, would love to have spent more but I had to get running.

Reading stuff on the forum and being shown what to do on the river are completely different. Some guys want to be alone and will let you know that in a hurry. Most people are pretty good and will help out when they can.

Don't be afraid to ask - if that person takes a swipe at you with a fly rod, find someone else. It makes my day to help someone into fish, and it's always good to have someone to fish with.
Good on ya, Robert.
As Ricky once said on an episode of Trailerpark Boys, "What goes around is all around."
Paying it forward is never a bad thing, is it? That's a little something in the 'karma bank' for your next day on the water; maybe you'll land that PB rainbow, or a bruiser brown...
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
That especially makes me cranky and prone to speaking my mind when it happens 5km upstream past the end of the road in the Blackstone Gap last summer. WTF?
Too funny! That is a pretty intimate little stretch of water you're talking about there. Many times I've been driving in there praying I'm the first one and on the times I haven't been I've turned around all sad and bummed out.
Some stretches of water just aren't meant to be shared.

All that aside, nothing wrong with a little streamside chit chat either.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Kudos to you guys, i'm also a newbie, started fly fishing late summer and got hooked. I chanced a guy once and nice enough to give me pointers and true enough they work. Now it's fine tuning those techniques that and it's a sport that needs continuous learning/
Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
good on you SD.

Sometimes the Bow can seem like daunting river to master for new bug chuckers. If you can take them and help them disect it in to a creek they are used to- the complexity disappears and success appears.
Well put Chubb. I started fishing the bow in March last year and daunting wasn't the word. Took a few times trying but landed my first bow on a green wooley bugger, felt great. Never knew about nymphing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceguy View Post
Kudos to you guys, i'm also a newbie, started fly fishing late summer and got hooked. I chanced a guy once and nice enough to give me pointers and true enough they work. Now it's fine tuning those techniques that and it's a sport that needs continuous learning/
That's good to hear novice. and you're right about the continuous learning, it's a fun curve tho. Just need someone to help you onto the path.

If you sees a feller running around in a newfoundland cap (or a red rapala from now on) and two tone brown breathables - probably white sneakers, don't be afraid to come talk to me. If i'm in the river, i'll come out.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
good on you SD.

i'd like to speak on that.

on smaller streams I have a lot more success than the mighty bow. I'm trying to get the 'big river fishing' happening, but so far, I'm just learning how to throw a nymph rig around!

Can't wait for the sheep to open up! such a fun smaller river to play in... can wet wade for the most part there, and catch pan size fish frequently, sometimes getting a nice 16-20" if you're lucky!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:55 PM

Good on you Silverdoctor!... Last season was the season that I decided to start fly fishing. I observed a lot of folks on the the river and tried to mimic what they were doing since I was walking into the sport with a blind eye for the most part. I mainly fished the bow, and it was always nice to run into the more experienced regulars out there and pick up a few tips along the way. The best part about it was there usually wasn't the whole competitive nature to it and most guys were usually willing to BS for a few minutes and share tips, stories and even cough up a few flies to a newbie! It's the folks like these that keep the new guys interested and set a good example.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
i'd like to speak on that.

on smaller streams I have a lot more success than the mighty bow. I'm trying to get the 'big river fishing' happening, but so far, I'm just learning how to throw a nymph rig around!

Can't wait for the sheep to open up! such a fun smaller river to play in... can wet wade for the most part there, and catch pan size fish frequently, sometimes getting a nice 16-20" if you're lucky!
the biggest issue is a on smaller water the next piece to cast to upstream so most fisherman will wait till they move.

On bigger water you must try ignore the upstream for awhile and concentrate whats across from you immediately. Fish the water in front of you from closest to furthest. Too many guys hit the water like a water buffalo and spook possibly the best part of the run. Or they have just watched a Rajeff video and strip out 50 feet of line to hit a part of the run way out from shore. Now they just lined every fish in between. Disect your water in small parcels, for the time being ignore veteran Bow guys who can mend a long line and fish up,down and across on long lines, it will come with time.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
the biggest issue is a on smaller water the next piece to cast to upstream so most fisherman will wait till they move.

On bigger water you must try ignore the upstream for awhile and concentrate whats across from you immediately. Fish the water in front of you from closest to furthest. Too many guys hit the water like a water buffalo and spook possibly the best part of the run. Or they have just watched a Rajeff video and strip out 50 feet of line to hit a part of the run way out from shore. Now they just lined every fish in between. Disect your water in small parcels, for the time being ignore veteran Bow guys who can mend a long line and fish up,down and across on long lines, it will come with time.
You said it best in another thread - 2500 fish per mile in the bow and some guys still don't stand a chance.

Gotta learn to read the river. Find the riffles, the seams, the slow moving waters, find the holes. Change up flies, change your indicator depth... Take your time rigging up and do it beside a piece of the river, watch the movement and look for fish rising while you're rigging up.

Stalk the fish, they are pretty smart. Alot of new fly fishers try to cast and mend 50 feet of line and it's just not doable. They spend more time fighting with the line than actually fishing. You really only need 20 feet to play with, and like Chubb says, when you get used to it, go bigger and further.

Remember as a kid taking two rocks and banging them together under water when you're swimming? Hurt the ears... Just imagine what the fish can feel if you're charging the water like a bull moose. They'll be
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Good on you SilverDoctor!! There is a stereo type that fly fisherman are snotty and want to be left alone when fishing (I know there are a few) but generally speaking we are a "fraternity" and will help another angler in need. Only time I hate getting bugged is when I have spent 20 minutes stocking a brown trout sipping against the bank and someone walks right up and shouts "hows the fishing".

I agree though, it makes your day to help someone out. I remember running into a father and son on the Oldman during an evening hatch and they could not get anything to take there fly (they were new to the sport also) so I told them what was working and gave them a few flies. I stood back and watched the son catch his first fish which gave me more satisfaction then any fish I caught that day!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Man do I ever need to run into some of you on the Bow. I have been fishing it since last spring, mainly with the spin rod as I had never fly fished before. Later in the year I bought my first fly rod and started watching youtube videos for casting techniques, setting up nymph rigs, and pretty much everything I can find regarding learning to fly fish. I have been trying to get it down, but I am having no luck whatsoever. How do the majority of you set up your nymph rig? Leader length? Tippet Length? location for strike indicator and split shot? I have heard of people connecting the leader and tippet with a small swivel, is this recommended? What distance do you place between your flies?
As for the casting, I am just going to keep on trying, hopefully this year I can figure it out. I always have my spin rod with me for those days when the patience are a little thinner.
I can kinda toss dry flies, but from everything I read, nymphing is the way to go on the Bow. If I see some risers though I will try out the dry flies.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
Man do I ever need to run into some of you on the Bow. I have been fishing it since last spring, mainly with the spin rod as I had never fly fished before. Later in the year I bought my first fly rod and started watching youtube videos for casting techniques, setting up nymph rigs, and pretty much everything I can find regarding learning to fly fish. I have been trying to get it down, but I am having no luck whatsoever. How do the majority of you set up your nymph rig? Leader length? Tippet Length? location for strike indicator and split shot? I have heard of people connecting the leader and tippet with a small swivel, is this recommended? What distance do you place between your flies?
As for the casting, I am just going to keep on trying, hopefully this year I can figure it out. I always have my spin rod with me for those days when the patience are a little thinner.
I can kinda toss dry flies, but from everything I read, nymphing is the way to go on the Bow. If I see some risers though I will try out the dry flies.
Watching youtube and doing it are different animals for sure, keep trying and you'll get it.

Leader length is typically 9 ft for me, longer if i'm using 2 or 3 flies on a line.
Distance between flies? generally a foot, maybe 14" to 16", depending on the day and how lazy i am.
When it comes to strike indicator, generall you want it at double the depth of the water - 4 ft of water, 8 ft under the indicator. it's important to have your depth correct in that you want the flies on the bottom of the river and you should see it in the indicator.
Backcast (set the hook) on every bit of movement and be sure to pull your rod up, not sideways.
split shot? I generally place it a foot or less above the top fly.

It's how I do it, doesn't mean it's correct.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Thanks Silver. Greatly Appreciated. Maybe one day we will run into each other on the Bow. I will definitely be out there next weekend, can't make it out this weekend as I am up north working. If I ever see someone with a red rapala or Newfoundland cap on I will be sure to say hi. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
had that happen at 22x the other day with a friend from the forum here. HE got there a bit earlier than me and helped a young fella out who was fairly new and tossing dries.. he asked the kid how his luck was, the kid said not good... he than showed him how to set up a basic nymph rig, and 1 hr later when i walked by and asked the kid how he was doing, he had caught a brown and 2 bows... amazing what happens

I always say hi, if the other person looks up at me, or towards me when I happen to glace towards shore. To me, being small town, its only the friendly thing to do... especially on smaller rivers and streams... up a river in bear country its nice to know someone else is around sometimes, even if it means water thats been fished once that day already
Wonder of it was the same kid and he's found a cheap way to get flies