Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 AM

Default tieable stainless steal leaders

While shopping for some leaders to go after some pike with my flyrod, I came accross this tieable stainless steel leader. Has anybody used these before? What do most of you guys use?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 AM

I just picked up some stuff called Knot 2 kinky. Its a nickel-titanium leader wire (25# test) thats tie able, kink resistant and super-elastic. Can't wait to try some on my new TFO 8wt BVK!!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM

this.

http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/sp...re-bite-tippet

Dace
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM

What knot would you use to tie to your fly line? Double loop? Nail knot?.....when tying onto mono would it slice through?

Just curious as it looks like some decent stuff.

LC
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM

I go with about 16"-18" of 20# mono from line (either loop to loop or nail knot on a sink tip or floating line depending on depth I'm fishing) and then tie a swivel, then I tie the steel leader (12") to swivel and then ss leader to fly. Make sure you bring some wire cutters or you will ruin your nippers

P
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM

What yes the nickle titanium mono strand leader material....I played with that stuff...if you make a loop and pull it breaks like a wet noodle. I was at a show and this guy was talking this stuff up and so I was playing with it seemed cool, stretchy, and i was eager to get some. Then I looped it, pinched the point where the two cross and pulled. Snap with hardly any effort. The rep looked at me shocked....so I did it again and SNAP...with maybe 2lbs of pull...he didn't know what to say...tried stuttering and back peddling, was kinda sorry for him. I honestly don't believe he thought it was possible, and of course he said that situation would not occur during normal use. But every seasoned fisherman knows, if it could even remotely happen, it will. So after everyone moved away he called his boss immediately to explain how "Some guy" just walked up and snapped it with absolutely no effort...pretty sure he started to second guess what he was selling. Sure on a straight pull igs neat stuff, and I know guys who use it on a regular basis with no problem, but knowing that all it takes is a loop and a pull and snap.....I'm not willing to chance that.....especially at that price.

Last edited by thorne; 04-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Not the stuff I found but that seems a little better as it has a nylon coating to it. Have you used that stuff before? I was going to ask about a leader but i see that rio has the same kind of product in a leader as well. Does it break like the stuff thorne was playing with? An pretty sure with a nylon coating it should be okay but would a loop to loop knot with that wire leader wreak my fly line?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Cortland makes a product called Toothy Critters.
Which is a tieable wire leader material.
Great for pike leader on a fly rod.