Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Default Polaris Ranger 570 EPS

Anyone know anything about the Polaris Ranger 570 EPS?
Engine Power (hunting purposes) ?
Ride/ comfort ?
Overall quality ?

(Please keep the 'other brands and models' banter to a minimum please)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 AM

I've ridden around with a buddy and it impressed me. Seemed good for power etc. but just the two of us on it. If I were to go back to a side by side I'd consider one. Another friend of his bought one after riding around with him as well.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:45 AM

I can't comment on the RANGER 570 eps, but I do have the RZR 570 LE (with EPS), and I love it. I bought it primarily for hunting, but went with the rzr over the ranger because I prefer the seating position and driving dynamics better.

The 570 motor is fantastic, and is very capable. I've never run into a situation where I lacked power, and the fuel efficiency is great. Some of my friends were skeptical about it, but once they've driven it have been very impressed. It essentially has similar power as the old 800 motor, but better fuel economy. I actually climbed a very steep sandy hill without a problem that a friends older Rzr 800S struggled to get up (and I had about 500lbs of people and gear in the machine at the time!)

As far as quality goes, I would say it has been decent. I had a rear CV axle break on me only a couple of rides after I bought the unit, and I don't even know how it happened. Never put it in any stressful situations and just noticed it while adjusting my suspension. But Polaris warranty covered the replacement no questions asked, and actually let me do the work. Everything else has been pretty solid. Obviously ride and comfort with my unit will be a lot different than the Ranger, but it is pretty good. The RZR is a sportier ride, but the LE seats are pretty comfortable. The stock suspension however isn't great in the "whoops" so I want to upgrade shocks/springs soon.

My biggest gripe about the 570 motor though is the airbox location, which I believe is the same in the Ranger. Its placed stupidly and susceptible to getting dust and dirt when opening it and servicing. There is a good DYI fix though for putting a secondary filter under the main filter and before the throttle body for added protection, which ive done. I also put some grease around the airbox lip to maintain a good seal.

I know you were looking for specifically info on the Ranger but I think the Rzr comparison is close enough, so I hope you find this informative. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 AM

Default polaris 570

I bought one this fall for hunting. Previously, I have been riding quads for the last 10 or fifteen years. The 570 is just a bit wider than my old quads, but still fits between the rails of all the new bridges installed this fall in the Castle district. (Lots of occasions of scraping paint if I went too fast). It seems to have adequate power, but nowhere near the road-gears of my old quads.
I am more than happy with it for the hill-climbing ability, but sometimes the maneuvering on hairpin turns was a bit tight. Absolutely love having the tilt box for hauling all my gear, and wood-cutting tours for the wood stove are a real pleasure with room to haul the chainsaw and a couple days supply of wood! Cant see myself ever going back to a regular quad!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:28 AM

I have a ranger 570efi. No power steering. Great unit to date. I'm a tall wide or hefty man so it's a bit snug getting behind the wheel and legs under the wheel especially when geared up in winter jackets and bibs etc. other than that if it fits you, you can't go wrong. Fits in a pickup truck bed but too high to fit most enclosed trailers.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 AM

The other unit to look at is the Honda Pioneer 500. It's narrower (50") than the Polaris. My wife and I are looking at one for hunting and weekend trips. Small enough to park in my shed easy. Never driven one but reviews are good, and it's a Honda so it will last. Price is decent too. Had a look at one in Red Deer. It has a 1000 pound towing capacity and 450 pounds on the rear rack. Enough for camp and I have a small tub trailer I already haul behind my quad.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
The other unit to look at is the Honda Pioneer 500. It's narrower (50") than the Polaris. My wife and I are looking at one for hunting and weekend trips. Small enough to park in my shed easy. Never driven one but reviews are good, and it's a Honda so it will last. Price is decent too. Had a look at one in Red Deer. It has a 1000 pound towing capacity and 450 pounds on the rear rack. Enough for camp and I have a small tub trailer I already haul behind my quad.
My Friend has one and I have been in it and driven it several times. Under powered ,loud , cramped , the paddle shifters are cool but quickly become an annoyance as you are always shifting up and down because of the power issue. It's a 3 wheel drive system. As for it pulling 1000 lbs and carrying 450 lbs on the racks. Yes it may do that but you will be working the crap out of that little engine. He had mud flying in his face from wet trails due to the gaps in the body plastic around the hood.
I thought it would be a great machine and actually encouraged him to buy it.I was considering one myself till I saw it in real world conditions. I have a the midsize 800 Ranger which is the same as the 570 only with the larger engine and I would never take the Honda SXS over it. Unless of course It was gifted to me . Then I would sell it and by another Ranger.

My 3 cents
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 AM

I have a mid sized with 800 engine and love it. I dont believe Polaris puts an 800 engine in the mid anymore. Have pulled moose down quad trails with it. Great machine for 2 people and it fits in back of a pick up. 570 would be worth a look.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Thanks Jungleboy. Seemed like a good mix of both worlds, but lots do in the showroom! I hadn't actually heard from anyone who actually used/rode in one.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 PM

I bought a 2014 570 Ranger, no power steering. I didn't find a great deal of difference with power steering during a test ride so opted to not get it (maybe one less thing to go wrong).

I don't work it to death. Lots of trail riding and wood cutting etc. No issues to date. Seems powerful enough for my use. Would have no problem packing a deer out of the bush, but probably not an entire moose. The box is obviously too small for that anyways. Doubt it would drag a moose either, but haven't tried.

Drove it a bit this winter on snow packed roads, found the traction a bit on the loose side compared to my buddy's Commander, even in 4x4 mode. Stock tires, so if that's important to you, you might want to get something more aggressive.

Bought a Moose plow for it this fall, works great but haven't had the chance to try it in deep snow cause we just haven't had any yet (not complaining).

I bought it more for utility than sport or comfort. But I find it just fine for comfort and ride. Top speed about 70-80 k or so, I don't need to go any faster than that. Good machine IMO.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 PM

If you look at a 570 make sure to look and inquire about skid plates as they are not very good.
I have a new 900 and it is awesome
My old 700 has 40hp
570 has 48hp so it does well compared to my old one as it is smaller.
900 has 68hp, compared to my 700 its unstoppable.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
I bought a 2014 570 Ranger, no power steering. I didn't find a great deal of difference with power steering during a test ride so opted to not get it (maybe one less thing to go wrong).

I don't work it to death. Lots of trail riding and wood cutting etc. No issues to date. Seems powerful enough for my use. Would have no problem packing a deer out of the bush, but probably not an entire moose. The box is obviously too small for that anyways. Doubt it would drag a moose either, but haven't tried.

Drove it a bit this winter on snow packed roads, found the traction a bit on the loose side compared to my buddy's Commander, even in 4x4 mode. Stock tires, so if that's important to you, you might want to get something more aggressive.

Bought a Moose plow for it this fall, works great but haven't had the chance to try it in deep snow cause we just haven't had any yet (not complaining).

I bought it more for utility than sport or comfort. But I find it just fine for comfort and ride. Top speed about 70-80 k or so, I don't need to go any faster than that. Good machine IMO.
It will handle more than you think . The 570 actually puts the same hp to the wheels as he 800 thanks to the improved transmission . They use the same tranny as the 900 I believe. I had 3 good sized WT in my midsize Ranger at one time and it was fine. It would have easily handled a 4th . As far as dragging a moose I can't see why it wouldn't lot's of moose have been hauled out with little 250 cc and 300 cc quads and trikes before the big bore craze took over. I dragged a big old bull 2 miles up a pipeline with an old polaris 300 2 stroke .

As for snow ,I haven't seen a stock machine yet that was any good in snow much more than 5 or 6 inches
Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
My Friend has one and I have been in it and driven it several times. Under powered ,loud , cramped , the paddle shifters are cool but quickly become an annoyance as you are always shifting up and down because of the power issue. It's a 3 wheel drive system. As for it pulling 1000 lbs and carrying 450 lbs on the racks. Yes it may do that but you will be working the crap out of that little engine. He had mud flying in his face from wet trails due to the gaps in the body plastic around the hood.
I thought it would be a great machine and actually encouraged him to buy it.I was considering one myself till I saw it in real world conditions. I have a the midsize 800 Ranger which is the same as the 570 only with the larger engine and I would never take the Honda SXS over it. Unless of course It was gifted to me . Then I would sell it and by another Ranger.

My 3 cents
If your interested I have a few videos on the Pioneer 500 and the Rzr 570 - https://youtu.be/lOZ1GpW8RlE

Don't be afraid of the 570 motor - its a single cylinder Prostar is all and is very well designed.

Thx

Lemonz