Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Stupid reloading question

Can you mix and match dies and presses? For example can I buy redding dies for an RCBS press or anything like that?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Yes, thats the combination I'm using now.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Sure can, as long as it threads into your press that is. Because WSS and Basspro have been out of the shell holders I need for about two months now I've been forced to use a weird combination of Lee, Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS products...

Still can't get a hornady shell holder for .303 British to use in my hand primer... The Lee and Lyman ones are *just* too big for it...

That reminds me, one of the gun counter dolts at WSS told me last weekend that Thompson is going to go out of business and the Icons and Encores hardly sold at all...

Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Smile yes

Sure we all do. It encourages competioning between vendors and manufactures.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I use several Redding dies in my RCBS Rockchucker.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:40 PM

most reloaders have a mix of every brand out there, as most have some thing that out shines every one else, it may be price or how it functions or just works better for you.the more you get into reloading the bigger the mix of brands.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Hey Lonnie:

That is an excellent question that must go through every reloader's mind.

Thanks for asking it.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
Sure can, as long as it threads into your press that is. Because WSS and Basspro have been out of the shell holders I need for about two months now I've been forced to use a weird combination of Lee, Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS products...

Still can't get a hornady shell holder for .303 British to use in my hand primer... The Lee and Lyman ones are *just* too big for it...

That reminds me, one of the gun counter dolts at WSS told me last weekend that Thompson is going to go out of business and the Icons and Encores hardly sold at all...

I always figure the shellholder brand should match the dies.

Grizz
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Gone Hunting

And...when it comes to reloading there is no such thing as a dumb question...check, double check, then check twice more...and you're good to go....
H.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Shawn..Don't that just drive ya carrraZZy ??...waiting for a shell holder...or dies....or something else esp when you wanna load something. Don't know if I could do it....what about just gettin a LEE Hand Primer set up and you'd be months ahead of the waitin to load part. ;0)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey Lonnie:

That is an excellent question that must go through every reloader's mind.

Thanks for asking it.
Greylynx : I never asked the question . but yes that was some thing that I wondered about 35+ years ago. and I'm amazed that they still make most of the reloading stuff interchangeable.as it makes it reasonably user friendly
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
And...when it comes to reloading there is no such thing as a dumb question...check, double check, then check twice more...and you're good to go....
H.
Amen to that.

The only problem you might incounter is when mixing in Dillion products.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
H.
Best Post yet on the thread. X2 do lots of reading lol and then maybe read it again to be sure. Most reloading stuff is interchangeable. Be safe and shoot straight! reloading can be alot of fun but it could be deadly too.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:

What is the # of the holder you need I may have one.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
H.
Best advice in the thread!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
What is the # of the holder you need I may have one.
Hornady #11 I believe, the one for .303 British. It's not preventing me from loading, just can't use the hand primer on the British rounds. I have to use my press to prime the shells and it takes more time and more checking to make sure the primer is flush with the rear of the shell.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 AM

Default glad you said that

Quote:
H.
"No such thing as a dumb question!"
There are very few areas of human pursuit where this statement is more t rue than reloading live ammunitiion. Having said that though, I'll bet I end up asking you a few that have you biting your tongue while you try hard to remember that philosophy!
I am just kidding of course and I'm glad to hear how responsible people in here are.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53
H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
Best Post yet on the thread. X2 do lots of reading lol and then maybe read it again to be sure. Most reloading stuff is interchangeable. Be safe and shoot straight! reloading can be alot of fun but it could be deadly too.
x3 Very enjoyable hobby, however there are risks and the stakes are extremely high.