Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Suggestion for my first rifle

Hey guys, a little advice please. I'm going to be buying my first rifle (once pal arrives) and was wondering what you guys would suggest. The advice I get from my family is just buy the 30-06 and be done with it. Here is what I'm after
  1. Will spend more time at the range then hunting
  2. Will be hunting strictly deer, will purchase something else for Ek/Moose in the future
  3. Prefer the look of synthetic/stainless
  4. 7mm-08 vs .308 is where I seem to be leading, wanting the 7mm-08 but scared about finding ammo and price ( live in Edmonton)
  5. Have short listed down to the Tikka T3 Lite and the Savage 16FLHSS ( open for other suggestions)

All my reading makes me want to buy a 7mm-08 and be done with it, but the ammo choices and price( for range, don't care about price for hunting) I read about scare me off a little. Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM

Take a look at the 25-06. It has a huge assortment of ammo avail., at resonable prices, is not nearly as punishing, and can drive tack at 400 yrds with the correct setup. It will also drop a deer at that range quite nicely.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM

get a savage in a common calibre (308 or 30-06).

The Savage is a perfectly good bolt action for most hunting in ALberta.
I have a 111 package in 30-06 and it shoots with factory ammo around 1moa without much fuss.

Especially if you are planning to spend a lot of time at the range it pays (literally) to opt for an old military standard cartridge because you can get all kinds of ammo. Not legal for hunting but fine and cheap for shooting at the range.

Personally I think I would go for the 308 as any bigger cartridge isn't really needed for most hunting in Alberta and if you are not used to shooting much the 308 is a bit more forgiving imo.

Finding a Savage will be easier in 30-06 though.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Savage some day with a better scope but so far I didn't see a real need. The Simmons that came with the package isn't great but works fine.

I also have a Finnlight in 270 with an expensive scope for sheep hunting but it really doesn't do much better for most situations when deer hunting and was a lot more money.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 AM

.308 and 7-08 would both be great choices for what you want. The Tikkas and Savages look like the best way to go right now. You can pick up a Savage for a little less than the Tikka but you'll find the finish on the Tikka to be nicer. Personally I don't care for the feel of the action on the Tikka but remember that is just a personal preference and hasn't much to do with the reliability or accuracy. One other option you might consider is the Weatherby Vanguard series. They are quite accurate and the stock is different. You would really have to shoulder a few different rifles to get a feel for what is best for you.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time at the range then put the majority of your money into a nice clear scope. Don't skimp on the rings and bases either as they are just as important as the quality of the scope. Burris, Bushnell and Weaver all make excellent scopes in around the $225-$350 price point. Leupold I find to have the same quality glass as others at nearly double the price, but you'll get a warranty that is unmatched by anyone else. Wouldn't worry too much about buying a scope with a power above 10X as beyond that and you'll really need to get something with parallax adjustment and then the price goes up quickly for a quality scope.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
Take a look at the 25-06. It has a huge assortment of ammo avail., at resonable prices, is not nearly as punishing, and can drive tack at 400 yrds with the correct setup. It will also drop a deer at that range quite nicely.

X2, especially if your going to buy a bigger one anyways. Brand is a personal choice, whatever fits you. Mine is a weatherby Vanguard. Good gun just doesn't have the hype of a Winchester , Remington or Sako.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

You've almost nailed it on head...

Tikka T3 Lite, caliber .270...perfect for deer to long ranges, flat enough too...and upper limit of 'not to heavy recoil' for range time!....then you can step up to a moose or an elk no prob also...there's your 'one gun' imo...i took a moose at 200 yrds with 130 gr factory fusion ammo this year...she went 50 yrds on a double lung and tipped over...bullet not recovered...exit wound a hair bigger than entrance wound...that covers your factory ammo availability nicely...for the record...i didn't like to shoot my 30-06 near as much as i like shooting my .270...with tikka you gotta have long action and magazine anyhow...

put it this way...if 308 was a consideration...it has just under 2700 ft/lbs muzzle energy with the lighter bullet offerings....and the 7mm-08 has just under 2400 ft/lbs muzzle energy....the .270 has the same muzzle energy as the 308 but way flatter trajectory....the .270 is your cartridge for a 'one gun' imo....it can step up, it can do comfortable range time...it can step down to coyotes (not fur friendly though)...and you'll love what it does for deer!

sold yet?

oh yeah...25-06 has similar muzzle energy to the 7mm-08...but once again...way flatter trajectory, have a friend with tikka 25-06 and its smokin accurate with factory ammo also, my vote still goes for .270 as it might be a better step up for an elk or moose someday
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
sheephunter

Ya, if the price of practice ammo is a concern, something mainstream like a .270, 308 or 30-06 may be better suited. All are great calibres more than capable of getting the job done. Take a hard look at the Tikka...great value for the money.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM

I see your a lefty by the listing of the Savage model number. Is that right?

I just went to P&D's website and lo and behold they have both 308 and a 7-08's in a left hand stainless T3's on the shelf for $850.00
No Savages but I'd be guessing the price would be about $200.00 less.
As for the ammo issue if you live in Edmonton the point is pretty much moot for the 7-08, unless you have a crappy memory or similar dis order.
Also the 7-08 is perfect as a reloaded caliber

There are no absolutes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM

Sounds like you've done some home work & have a good Idea of what you want. I'm going to buy 7-08 for my son for his first rifle & I see that Remington is the first gun maker that I could find that has a left handed youth bolt action rifle in any calibre.

As far as finding ammo. I've seen it everywhere.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention, if you decide to pick up a Savage you're probably going to replace the recoil pad immediately. Even in a .270 it will get uncomfortable with the hard plastic pad supplied with it. A limb saver recoil pad is going to run you about $50 Something to keep in mind when looking at the price difference between Tikka and Savage.

PS: one last thing, but does the Tikka in 25-06 come with a 24" barrel? I don't know much about this cartridge but have heard it is best put through a longer barrel.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM

I agree completely with Stinky Coyote - T3 in .270 Winchester, 130 gr BoatTail in a Premium bullet and you're set. New loads in the 140 gr add a bit of weight for moose, but I've never had any animal, regardless of size go farther than the usual distance when you put one in the boiler room. Greatest all around caliber there is, no exceptions (I know the '06 guys might take exception, but that argument truly is about whatever you prefer) In my opinion the scope should cost as much as the rifle. Buy the very best you can afford - Kahles, Swarovski, Zeiss, Meopta and the highest end American-mades are all excellent. Meopta though they're relatively unheard of, for the price are as good as the big 3 European ones and won't stay as low priced as they are for long once shooters start to catch on to them! Make sure you complement a great scope with very good rings and mount - there's lots of choices but I like Burris. My Tikkas wear their Opti-Lock system, brutally pricey but outstanding and they don't mar the scope tube. Rock solid.

Last edited by sbtennex; 01-10-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Choices

I too am a big fan of 25-06, especially if you plan on alot of time at the range. If you know some one that reloads they can make loads for you with a much lighter grain weight of bullet, which when loaded correctly, you can shoot all day.
I have shot some Vmax 75 grain bullets in my 25-06 out to 300 meters and were very accurate. I think the most 25 cal rounds I have shot in a range session was 60, with zero bruising of stiffness in my shoulder the next day, and I'm over 50
Have shot lots of other rifles?
25-06 as others have mentioned is a fine deer cartridge, and most gun shops carry a nice assortment of this ammunition. FS
Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I too am a big fan of 25-06, especially if you plan on alot of time at the range. If you know some one that reloads they can make loads for you with a much lighter grain weight of bullet, which when loaded correctly, you can shoot all day.
I have shot some Vmax 75 grain bullets in my 25-06 out to 300 meters and were very accurate. I think the most 25 cal rounds I have shot in a range session was 60, with zero bruising of stiffness in my shoulder the next day, and I'm over 50
Have shot lots of other rifles?
25-06 as others have mentioned is a fine deer cartridge, and most gun shops carry a nice assortment of this ammunition. FS
As a huge fan of the 25-06 I say for deer do it you would'nt regret it!

As for what you may want 7-08 in tikka would be a great Rifle and 308 is the best boring cartridge in the world. JMHO
Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 PM

You can't go wrong with a .270. Will be a bit lighter on recoil if you want to shoot targets and load down for it. Can be loaded up to take moose and elk. The only problem is that you will not be able to brag about having the latest whiz bang cartridge. Don't that that worry you, as the .270 is a fine proven cartridge. It will make it a lot easier to find the gun you want, and the ammunition to put in it.

Ron
Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM

It's hard to add anything to this thread, lots of cartridges to pick from that would all fit the bill, I have a 270 myself it is a great prarie deer gun, it is a stevens 200 so I can confirm the recycled hockey puck recoil pad, in the field you don't feel it, after 20 -30 bench rounds you will feel it (at least with that gun. I managed to score a used 7-08 barrel for my handi last month for my boys to use for thier first deer, can't imagin the round will let me down.

All I would say find the rifle first then worry about chambering, likely it will be chambered in one of the rounds mentioned in theis thread.

You can add 6.5x55 swede to the list too.

If this is your first gun I would add a decent 22 to the list, every rifle shooter need at least 1.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Browning a-bolt stainless 300 win mag. do it all riffle.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

270 or a 30-06
Nuff said!

Use "KISS"

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Both are great guns for your first go, heck the 30-06 is a great gun if its ever your one and only.

Good luck
Have fun
Jamie
Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM

a flat shooting light recoiling rifle on the range is the secret to creating one shot confidence in the hunt.

although im not particularly fond of either of your choices for no real reason, id vote towards the 2506 and put no less than a leupold vx111 in 3x9x40 or 3.5x10x50 on it and you got a gun for life. a flat fast bullet is more forgiveing when the yardage is not precisely known
if you spend the time on the range and are competant, you should have no prob knocking down an elk or moose with it. (within your reasonable limits, of course)
I also agree with cordurs advise on the scope bases ring philosophy

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM

make that another vote for the tikka t3 in the 270 or be brave go for the 270wsm heard lots of good thing about it . or even go with 243 if matched with the right bullet would be deadly on the deer and at the range.
man sucks to be you there are way to many good calibers out there that will do exactly what you want. just pick any of the ones these guys are mentioning and away you go.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Wink great guns

if i was only going to get one gun for every it would be a 30-06 in a weatherby vangaurd , but i getta tell ya i love the 7mm-08 rem. spsdm that igot.
have givin up trying to get it back from junior (15 yrs old) tho, looks like i have to buy another ,(my addiction is getting worse ). lol
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Don't overlook the 270 wsm. I shoot a 270 . right now, but would like a little more speed ( i.e. flatter) as I shoot longer distances at times. I shot a 243. in the past and loved it, but wanted something that hit a little harder. I'm seriously looking at the 270. wsm myself, or 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

You guys are great, thanks for all the info. That 7mm-08 just seems to call my name. Thanks again, just subscribed to the mag too!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM

I don't think you have to eliminate everything but deer from the picture for this gun. There are lots of choices that can do it all, but you have made that distinction, so that's fine. If you are only hunting deer with this, why take the recoil that even the .308 or 7mm produce? Go .270 or move down to 25-06.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
If you are only hunting deer with this, why take the recoil that even the .308 or 7mm produce? Go .270 or move down to 25-06.
Do you not realize that the 7mm-08 produces less recoil than the 270win?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Do you not realize that the 7mm-08 produces less recoil than the 270win?
Apparently I don't. Checked my tables and I stand corrected LOL

I still think his concern of ammo availability and price puts the .270 up there, but you got me on the recoil... kudos.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
stubblejumper

For your uses,the 7mm-08 would be an excellent choice.Checking with the manufacturers sites, the number of factory loads available is adequate,and the prices aren't much different than for the 270win or 30-06.If you are really interested in a fair amount of target shooting,reloading is the best option,and the 7mm-8 is no more expensive to load for than comparable cartridges.My choice would be a t-3 in 7mm-08.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Went in to Wal-mart and Canadian tire today, nothing in a 7mm-08. Discouraging as I'd like to have easy access to ammo, that 270 is starting to become appealing.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM

30.06 all around useful gun
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=therealj;95388]You guys are great, thanks for all the info. That 7mm-08 just seems to call my name. QUOTE]

Thats not what your hearing at all....i can hear it too and its saying tikka 270...honest.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Went in to Wal-mart and Canadian tire today, nothing in a 7mm-08.
I can honestly say that even when I did buy factory loads, I never bought ammunition from either Walmart or Canadian tire.I would rather support the stores that carry firearms and offer firearms services,even if it costs me an extra few cents per shot.