Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Default A few re loading questions from a newbe

I am in the process of reloading my first run of 30-30 for my Win94.
I have about 200 empty brass that are mixed brands. Some are marked WIN 30-30 FC, some are Imperial 30-30 win, Some are Winchester win 30-30 and some are WW Super win 30-30.
When developing a hunting load,
a) How important is it to seperate the brass or can it all be mixed up?
b) If I separate, will the loads change from brass a to b to c. In other words if 40gr works great with imperial brass will the same 40gr charge work as good the other brass?
c) What is the best way to remove the brass chaffing that fall into the case when I trim and chamfer my brass.
d) Is it dangerous if brass remains inside and I complete the process then fire the bullet?
e) When developing a load, do I need to crimp if I chamber one bullet manually until I have my load figured out. Then when it is dialled in then I crimp the batch.? Or should I crimp no matter what.
Thanks for your help guys.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I am in the process of reloading my first run of 30-30 for my Win94.
I have about 200 empty brass that are mixed brands. Some are marked WIN 30-30 FC, some are Imperial 30-30 win, Some are Winchester win 30-30 and some are WW Super win 30-30.
When developing a hunting load,
a) How important is it to seperate the brass or can it all be mixed up?
i would sort by brand and it's kind of important
b) If I separate, will the loads change from brass a to b to c. In other words if 40gr works great with imperial brass will the same 40gr charge work as good the other brass?
yes how much is the question
c) What is the best way to remove the brass chaffing that fall into the case when I trim and chamfer my brass.
turn it up side down and knock it on a desk
d) Is it dangerous if brass remains inside and I complete the process then fire the bullet?
probably not a great thing to do
e) When developing a load, do I need to crimp if I chamber one bullet manually until I have my load figured out. Then when it is dialled in then I crimp the batch.? Or should I crimp no matter what.
i wouldn't crimp, i seldom do

Thanks for your help guys.
see bold
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

My thoughts are that for a hunting load, the brass being different should not matter enough for you to worry about it. Put your deprimed, sized, and champhered, brass in you tumbler. It should take care of all those concerns. I would crimp your development loads as you will be using a crimped load in the field. Its just one less change in the final product.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. I have tapped the brass on the bench but I still have a bit of shavings in some.
I don't have a tumbler so I may use a brass brush.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM

I only worry about brass if shooting for competition, I crimp my 30/30 because of the pressure of the spring in the tube, and the fact all bullets are pushing against the others, and only flat point bullets if it is a tubular magazine.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM

I don't mix brass for any rifle application, as the case volumes do vary. If my hunting loads were going to be crimped, I would likely crimp my test loads.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Wall thickness among brass manufacturers may differ, resulting in some volume variation ... hence different performance characteristics. After trimming/chamfering, I insert a nylon brush, give it a turn, and withdraw it with the neck inverted. This serves to both clean any loose carbon inside the neck and hopefully removes the potential brass slivers you referenced.