Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Float Plain Service

Hi out there. This is new for me. Need assistance in a big way.

I am helping out a couple of my very good fishing buddies. They have just recently purchased 'FORTRESS LAKE RETREAT on the Alberta / BC border west of Jasper know for its phenomenal Brook Trout Fishing. It is under new management. We are attempting to find a Float Plane Service we can contract for the upcoming fishing season May 1 to the end of Sept. We want to be able to fly out of the Calgary International or out of the Springbank airports. Previously folks were flown in by helicopter from Hinton which we feel is ridiculous and want to do some thing better. However i am at a loss and my searches have been in vain. Can't believe I can't find any thing in my searches.

Any body got any ideas where to start. We are looking hopefully for a good season and there could be 40 + flights for the season
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM

I don't know of any outfits providing this service in the area unfortunately. Flying out of either Calgary or Springbank they'd obviously have to be amphib equipped as there aren't water aerodromes at either. Also, there might be park restrictions on float plane activity into lakes within the parks, I'm honestly not sure but something to check into. Just spitballing, but you might have better luck flying into the grass strip in Jasper and shuttling clients to the camp. Alternately, you might have more luck checking float plane operators out of Cooking Lake Airport or Twin Island Airpark just east of Edmonton, or possibly an amphib out of Villeneuve to the NW of the city. Good luck in your search, sorry I can't be of much assistance.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Angry Float planes

Thanks Using a float plane into the lake is no worries. Previous owners flew float out of Golden and the new owners have the exclusive fly in to the lake. They quit using the float because of weather and the inconvenience that's why they went to helicopter out of Hinton. That too is very inconvenient and we are attempting to make it a lot more convenient especially for out of province and folks that probably will come from out of Canada ( like U.S. folks ) to fish the Bow and the Lake.we really want to use a float as it is cheaper and depending on what it is it can carry more and besides flying in, in a float from Calgary would give the folks going in to fish a good look at every thing including right over the Columbia Ice Fields etc It is also a lot more exciting landing on Water and taxing up to the dock than dropping down to the dock. Been there done both. Worse case scenario, for this season, in all likelihood we will helicopter out of Calgary. If you haven't looked at it yet Google it and have a look at those Brookies. New owners names are not up yet as the site is being redone
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Need to buy some floats for someone’s caravan or beaver.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy marshall View Post
Hi out there. This is new for me. Need assistance in a big way.

Previously folks were flown in by helicopter from Hinton which we feel is ridiculous and want to do some thing better.
I believe when the Jensen's owned it, they started off using heli's out of Nordegg. Then they were looking to reduce costs, so they went with amphibs out of the Hinton/Jasper airport. Not sure, but when we went in there in 2009, I think he said the payload was less with amphibs than true floats. So then he was looking for floats out of/near Hinton which is what we flew in there with. The close proximity of Hinton to the lake meant they could shuttle in multiple groups in/out in a day. I can't speak about what was done after the Jensen's sold it.

Flying out of Calgary may be easier for international customers, but at more than twice the flying distance from Hinton, it will likely increase your costs as well, no ?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Good luck with your new venture. Fortress has some amazing brookie fishing! Please let us know when you have your website up and running.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Rockies heli canada - from abraham lake

Hi Randy,

I was the first ones to use helicopters after the sale of the business from the float planes. Please phone me and I can give you all the information you like, maybe I can be of service in the future. 403 845 0066 Ralph
Old 02-07-2018, 05:59 PM

Default Float planes

Thanks all for joining in with all the information and comments. Much appreciated. I know for a fact that the new owners want to make this new venture into a first class operation that will make folks want to come fishin for big brookies found no where else out west
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 PM

You might also want to consider getting the bridge fixed and some trail maintenance going on with parks.

Lots of guys love adventures, and there would probably be lots of guys willing to hike/bike in to save costs.

You would simply need to pick them up at the lake shore in the boat and take them to the camp.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in your endeavour....
Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Was this sale of fortress lake recent ? I know it was up for sale a couple of years ago , has it changed hands yet again?

Also , as for the bridge into fortress ,the latest news I received is its on parks agenda for fall of 2019.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:31 PM

just a suggestion but it might be easier to find a charter service from Calgary or Springbrook to Hinton then Heli to the lake from there. a lot more choices in planes that way.

Rgds
Mike
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Ahh, this brings back great memories of huge brookies. I wish them all the best in handling the logistics. It is so beautiful up there. I went for 5 days and the fishing was amazing and the facilities were great. It is still probably my favourite fishing trip even though I'm more of a river fisherman.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy marshall View Post
Worse case scenario, for this season, in all likelihood we will helicopter out of Calgary. If you haven't looked at it yet Google it and have a look at those Brookies. New owners names are not up yet as the site is being redone
Have you priced out a helicopter ride from Calgary? I think you will find it prohibitively expensive and largely impractical. Best of luck to you though. I wish you success. Fortress Lake is a great place. It'll be good to have some new stewards for the Park.

HK
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 AM

I didn’t realize the Jensen family dropped it.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM

I looked seriously into buying this resort but Parks Canada keeps floundering on the bridge repair even though i offered to help with the purchase of materials.

Secondly air access appears to be an issue.

I hope you guys can make it work as I closely went through the books and I do not need to say anymore.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM

HIked in last summer with float tubes, well worth the trip and unreal fishing.defeintly worth the hike if you are in half decent shape
Old 02-27-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I didn’t realize the Jensen family dropped it.
2 years ago yup.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
I looked seriously into buying this resort but Parks Canada keeps floundering on the bridge repair even though i offered to help with the purchase of materials.
You can count on Parks Canada to dither forever.