Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Default Archery Clubs

I'm looking to getting a membership somewhere for the 2018 season. I live in Sherwood Park so i've been looking at both SPFGA, and Sherwood Park Archery Club. SPFGA is about 40 min away from my house, whereas Sherwood Park Archery is 15 min but pricier membership than SPFGA.
Just wondering if any guys/gals can give me some opinions/preference/extra info between the two.

Please note, I'm not trying to pit these clubs against each other, so I'd like to avoid any sort of hate thread. I simply would like to hear from those that shoot at one or the other/have shot at both facilities at some point.

thanks
Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM

SPFGA is outdoor only, Sherwood Park Archery Club is indoor and outdoor.

LC
Old 10-27-2017, 11:16 AM

I shoot at the fish and game club and it's awesome. Best 80 dollars I've spent. Fishing for the kids camping and archery range for 80 dollars.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Yea I read that Sherwood Park archery has a 24 hour indoor lane. What about ability to bring guests, do either of them allow members to bring a buddy along for a “guest fee” or are both clubs strictly members only? I ask because if someone I know becomes interested in archery it would be nice to be able to show them the environment of an archery club/archery community.

I mean, if there’s not much difference between the 2 then obviously driving the extra 29 or so minutes to shoot at the less expensive SPFGA, would be the obvious choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I shoot at the fish and game club and it's awesome. Best 80 dollars I've spent. Fishing for the kids camping and archery range for 80 dollars.
And I mean that right there is a good selling point, I don’t have kids yet but in the future that would be a great option to have. Which kind of connects to my “guest” question.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

SPFGA permits a member to bring guests to the site but they can not touch firearms, bows, or fishing poles...and can not stay overnight in the campground. At SPFGA, a Regular membership permits the use of all facilities EXCEPT the firearms ranges. A RANGE MEMBERSHIP is required if you want to include firearms, but there is a cap on the number of spots. No cap on "regular" category.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
SPFGA permits a member to bring guests to the site but they can not touch firearms, bows, or fishing poles...and can not stay overnight in the campground. At SPFGA, a Regular membership permits the use of all facilities EXCEPT the firearms ranges. A RANGE MEMBERSHIP is required if you want to include firearms, but there is a cap on the number of spots. No cap on "regular" category.
You can call 780-412-1311 weekdays, to inquire about membership info...and go to spfga.org for club info.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 PM

apparently one can't get a 2018 membership yet...? even if its just use for archery lanes?
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM

Heard they were going to make a decision on the 10th if they were going to be giving any new memberships to ppl
Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Heard they were going to make a decision on the 10th if they were going to be giving any new memberships to ppl
ah okay. I was under the impression the archery memberships were unlimited and only the rifle range memberships were wait listed.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:41 PM

To confirm .... there is no “cap” on Regular Memberships ...and the “regular” category includes the use of the the Archery Range and 3D course. You can arrange to purchase by calling 780-412-1311 and specify you are interested in the Regular Membership. In the past, memberships have been sold between Jan 1 - Aug 31.
The decision referred to in post #8 was with regard to firearms “range” categories only.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
ah okay. I was under the impression the archery memberships were unlimited and only the rifle range memberships were wait listed.
You are correct!

LC
Old 01-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You are correct!

LC
haha but it appears I can't get a membership at SPFGA yet...