Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2023, 04:59 PM

Default Trail Running Season! Who’s doin?

No Sin7 for me this year. I’ll be a backup runner on team ‘Walking Wounded’ and doing runner support.

Despite the knee being in good shape, I had a sinus infection for like 2 months or more and I quit raining entirely.

This’ll be my second week making the +30k mark, but it’s mostly a mix of running hard hiking.

Hopefully Blackspur will go well.

Anyone know if any other Aug trail races that are good?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-16-2023, 05:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
No Sin7 for me this year. I’ll be a backup runner on team ‘Walking Wounded’ and doing runner support.

Despite the knee being in good shape, I had a sinus infection for like 2 months or more and I quit raining entirely.

This’ll be my second week making the +30k mark, but it’s mostly a mix of running hard hiking.

Hopefully Blackspur will go well.

Anyone know if any other Aug trail races that are good?
Allow me to be the first to say it... You are one sick sonuvagun my friend... I both admire you immensely and think you are broken in da head!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-16-2023, 07:09 PM

Death race in Grande Cache is in August. They have an ultra and a marathon event.

I haven’t done any running for awhile. Bad L5/S1 joint and knees aren’t as happy go-lucky as I would like.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:46 PM

I haven’t raced in a few years but usually make a point to do at least one long mountain run per season.

Couple years ago it was Berg Lake (Mt. Robson) and return in a day and last year it was Skyline trail in Jasper. This year my wife and I plan to do Portal Creek into Tonquin Valley and out via Astoria River, again in Jasper.

Fun stuff! Good luck to all you runners…
Old 06-19-2023, 07:25 AM

I'll be at Sin7 this year, also doing Death Race in August and Rivers Edge Ultra (just outside of Devon) in September.

Other than the Death Race, not sure of any August races. Rivers Edge in September is a good one though, there are several distances you can choose from. There are the 21k, 50k, 80k or 100k for the solo's and there are some relay options as well. I did the 50k last year and going to either try and improve the 50k or do 80k this year.

Maybe I'll see you at Sin 7 Bessie.

Should be a great running season!
Old 06-19-2023, 08:06 AM

Never done a death race before, will be participating in Sin7 this year. See how she goes I guess. Leg 5 for me on a team. If I die I die.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Never done a death race before, will be participating in Sin7 this year. See how she goes I guess. Leg 5 for me on a team. If I die I die.
Nice, leg 3 for me this year. Should be a good time. This is my first time running Sin 7, but I've heard leg 5 is nice.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:33 PM

Leg 5 is nice
Nothing super tough over the 27k
PLUS the 5,6 TA station turns into a disco bar after dark. You can hear the “Fugga Dugga” tunes pumping ling before you see it (yes there’s a disco ball… this is a premiere race)

Back in 2018 or 19 I learned that my body does not approv of mixing night running with vodka shots…..

Beware the clown manaqin too……!
Old 06-20-2023, 11:44 AM

Bessie you seem experienced in this race, what are your thoughts on cross country shoes for leg 5 or trail runners? I prefer my cross country runners but as I said I’ve never done this before. I have trail shoes I’ve been wearing to break in for it but they aren’t as comfortable
Old 06-20-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Bessie you seem experienced in this race, what are your thoughts on cross country shoes for leg 5 or trail runners? I prefer my cross country runners but as I said I’ve never done this before. I have trail shoes I’ve been wearing to break in for it but they aren’t as comfortable
I know you were asking Bessie, but I have some insight on this. As with any shoe, you need to have the right shoe for you. You can buy trail shoes, but the wrong one will not be comfortable for your foot shape. I have 3 different pairs I run in, but each one has their place. I don't think the elevation is daunting on leg and it sounds like it is a lot of flowing single track. Having said that though, there's also water on this leg and that's where trail shoes might be beneficial for you. Most are designed to drain or shed water.

As for the fit, which shoe do you have and where is it uncomfortable? Do your cross country shoes have lugs?

Chris
Old 06-20-2023, 01:55 PM

I've done every leg except 3 (affectionately known as Satan's Sack if it gets warm), but I used to do training runs on 3 lots.

5 could probably be run in street runner shoes.... any standard trail runner is fine.... but...

There ARE a couple of mud holes that IF you are dumb enough to not go around them... you'll go up to your waist.. AND lose a shoe.

5 is a beauty run. I ran it in full moon conditions.... we were already non competitive in ranking so there's a sand stretch of trail when you dump down into Deadmans Pass where a bunch of us stopped and ran barefoot jus to say we did.... twas about a 1.5 k stretch if I recall.

Again standard trail runners will be fine for you on this leg.

Enjoy the experience. Bearspray yes! Deadman's flats is where I've run into grizz twice while training. Also towards the end of the race there will be COWbears!... be warned.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I've done every leg except 3 (affectionately known as Satan's Sack if it gets warm), but I used to do training runs on 3 lots.

5 could probably be run in street runner shoes.... any standard trail runner is fine.... but...

There ARE a couple of mud holes that IF you are dumb enough to not go around them... you'll go up to your waist.. AND lose a shoe.

5 is a beauty run. I ran it in full moon conditions.... we were already non competitive in ranking so there's a sand stretch of trail when you dump down into Deadmans Pass where a bunch of us stopped and ran barefoot jus to say we did.... twas about a 1.5 k stretch if I recall.

Again standard trail runners will be fine for you on this leg.

Enjoy the experience. Bearspray yes! Deadman's flats is where I've run into grizz twice while training. Also towards the end of the race there will be COWbears!... be warned.
Haha, that's funny. Our team name is CowBearStare affectionately named after those very COWbears you speak of.