Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2023, 11:42 AM

Default How food deserst are created

Reminds me of the Walmarts and other stores closing in the US because they have no way to fight rampant theft anymore , legal indifference and the threat of violence. Oh the Outrage. Costco has been doing it ever since I've shopped there and it's expected.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lob...ting-1.6876399

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-15-2023, 01:10 PM

Meh, Costco has been doing it for years. I hate thieves and stores have to be able to protect themselves.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2023, 01:29 PM

At Methbridge Walmart I have seen people walking out of the self checkout when the alarm goes off and employees just ignore it.
Why would anyone invest in a business in an area where people are going to rob and steal and its not safe?
Last week on third avenue south in Methbridge right in public during middle of the day drugged up zombies all slumped over looked like zombie movie. Not in back alley either.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:03 PM

Re Costco, right from the artcile:

"In Canadian law, store employees or staff are not allowed to physically stop you from leaving or search your belongings unless they actually witness you commit an offence," she said. "You are free to walk past a receipt check, out the store."

She said the exception is when shoppers exit a retailer such as Costco, which can enforce receipt checks because people agree to them when they sign up for the required store membership.

And I agree, I hate the receipt checking thing at Walmart, for example, and I let them know every time, and generally avoid shopping there. Walked by a few times as well while being asked for the receipt. I understand it’s her or his job, but I didn’t come there to waste my time waiting in line to get my receipt looked at. No thanks. Don’t like? Too bad. It is also extremely noticeable that they check the native folks more often (as in pretty much every time) than others.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Meh, Costco has been doing it for years. I hate thieves and stores have to be able to protect themselves.

Maybe they're onto something regarding thieves. If all retailers required a "membership card" to enter and receipt checks when leaving, it might cut way down on the thieving scumbags out there. No membership, no coming in to steal from the store. It might also help honest shoppers from being on the hook for theft related price increases.

Or we can just continue doing things the Canadian way. If you don't want to work, or pay for things, and want money for doing nothing that's fine with us. SMH
Old 06-15-2023, 06:22 PM

Haven’t set foot in a Costco in 15 years. Can’t say that I’ve missed it.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:41 PM

No worries, the govt will look after us
Old 06-15-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Maybe they're onto something regarding thieves. If all retailers required a "membership card" to enter and receipt checks when leaving, it might cut way down on the thieving scumbags out there. No membership, no coming in to steal from the store. It might also help honest shoppers from being on the hook for theft related price increases.

Or we can just continue doing things the Canadian way. If you don't want to work, or pay for things, and want money for doing nothing that's fine with us. SMH
I subsidize the idle enough through taxes, I don't want to do it through grocery purchases as well.

Thomas Sowell