Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 03:56 PM

Default After putting down my dog, EDIT: Looking for breeds and breeders

So its been basically 3 weeks since I had to put my 12 year old duck toller down. She was an awesome dog. I miss her very much. Putting her down was the hardest thing I've ever done. I owed it to her though, she hated the vet's office and loved being at the cabin. It was hard for me, but it was best for her.

She was a year older than my oldest daughter, and 3 years older than my youngest daughter. She was the only pet my kids have known. Seeing the hurt inflicted on my kids over losing their dog was tough; really tough.

I've only ever been without a dog maybe 2 years of my life. I swear losing a dog gets harder each time, not easier. The wife and I both agreed we wouldn't get another dog; it was just too painful.

Here I am 3 weeks later, I still miss my dog like crazy, but its hard not having a dog. A house just ain't a home, without a dog. What do you guys think? The wife feels the same as me. We both don't want a dog, but miss having a dog; if that makes any sense.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:04 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. People who are not dog people will never understand how truly rough it is.

Dogs are companions, loyal and non judgmental, always happy to see you, and give you unconditional love. Way better than humans in many regards.

I have a 14 year old lab/collie that is close to the end. We are trying to prepare ourselves and having the same discussions now.

Sure, a dog means less vacation choices, less freedom - but one memory of a dip in the lake and fetched stick with a happy bark to greet you, patiently waiting by the window, so when you come through the door, you are greeted with love and after a crappy day is so worth it.

We will probably get another. The pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited by EZM; 09-08-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:10 PM

Always tough to lose one, that's for sure. They leave a void, but I don't think you would ever regret partially filling that void with a new pup. Bet within a day you would be thankful for the decision made to get another.
Life's too short to not have "mans best friend" around
Old 09-08-2022, 04:20 PM

Get another one right away. It REALLY helps with your grief and the grief the rest of your family is feeling. You will never forget your friend, but something new to love is a very good thing. It is very easy to not want to go through this pain again 14 years down the road, and that is a big part of not wanting another dog, but in my opinion it is the wrong choice.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:20 PM

Sorry for your loss. As has been said and as you attest, not a much worse feeling in this life than to have to make the decision. You will know when it is the right time, should you decide to open your home to another best friend. My thoughts are that because you have shared this special bond once, you will do it again.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:24 PM

Sorry for your loss. Get another, you will be glad you did. It is good being around a creature that is always happy, therapy so to speak.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Sorry for your loss,
It sure is one of the hardest things to do by putting your pet down, we went through this 7 weeks ago.

We too are on the fence of getting a new dog but it has pluses and minuses with getting a new pup.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:59 PM

My condolences on your loss. It is unfortunate dogs do not live the same length of time that we do. However, in that short period they cram a huge amount of love in for a family. Caring as much as you do, I would say get another pup.

We lost 2 aged Tollers (15 and 17) 2 years back, as they were aging, we brought in another pup as I knew I could not be without a dog. Our current Toller is 6 and planning for the future we have just added another pup. He is 11 weeks and a hand full.

If you need a meditation evening with a Toller pup to help send me a PM and I would be glad to pop over.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:30 PM

If you leave most women to their feelings, they will never be ready for another dog. Most will change their mind in a day or two after the new dog is there.

With my mother as one example, she wasn't ready for a new dog after 7 years. I got a dog for the yard, and she got over it quick. Said dog died suddenly (I think either bloat or poison), and she didn't want a new dog. I got a new dog 3 days after, and had it home 5 days after. She was fine with it quickly. Now, this dog that she didn't want is almost her favorite thing in the world.

I'd get another dog quickly as it teaches the kids to move on quickly and not wallow in it. It's a powerful demonstrative lesson.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you want another puppy and it feels right for you and yours then do so.
Sorry for loss and best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2022, 05:39 PM

Sorry for your loss. We put our oldest down two months ago or so. The pain is so real. They are part of our families.

You guys are dog people, so get another. Just do it.

Pixel shooter is planning a repeat breeding of the one he had last year.

Pups are stellar.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2022, 06:12 PM

Sorry for your loss bud. Here is the advise: GET ANOTHER DOG ASAP! Yes, I’m yelling, lol! Get another dog, house is just not the same without the dog…
If you are interested:
Have a client that needs to rehome this gorgeous boy due to her son having asthma and allergies to the dog. *******Please contact her directly at jocelyncnw@gmail.com if you can give this boy a home or for more information.

Bunny is a 21 months old boy, neutered, yellow field labrador. He is an energetic, playful pup and always love to play with other dogs and humans. He went for a board and train at Paws republic for a 2 months complete obedience training when he was 1 year old. His videos can be found at https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNw56KGe/
He has a very good temperament. never aggressive to anyone or food. Barely barks unless a stranger rings the bell, or seeing a suspicious guy walking by our window.
He is fully potty trained, crate trained and leash trained with basic commands(as seen from the videos).
He likes fetching, tugging toys, puzzles, kongs. but no stuffed toys as he will chew them apart.
No health issues but he has sensitive tummy which means probiotics needed to be added into his food. He had been on Orijen original dog food, Satori duck, Acana classic red and wild coast. All works well with him.
Vaccinations are all up to date.
He Has to go with a very active family who can give him a lot of exercises. good for a hunting family too.

Our son had no issues playing with him before and he was always gentle on him. Unfortunately my son was diagnosed with a very severe asthma last month and it’s getting worse after playing with Bunny.
This is a copy from the friends Facebook page.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:21 PM

When the time is right, you'll know.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:26 PM

Sorry for your loss. We have been through the heartbreak 4 times ourselves. Follow your heart. It will always tell you what is right.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:43 PM

Best advice I was ever given on the matter, was to give yourself time to grieve your loss before getting another, many jump into a new dog to replace the old one, only to find out they are totally different personality wise, but equally as loveable!
Old 09-08-2022, 07:56 PM

If you live well and love deeply, you will experience the pain of loss. Its always worth it. Pretty important lesson there.

Another thing to think of…your girls are getting to an age where a lot of stuff will be different. Having a dog can provide some much needed stability.

I say get another one.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 PM

In the last 20 years we have had 16 dogs, 11 have passed away, have 5 left, two of which probably wont last another year. Each time one leaves we wait a few months and take in another rescue dog. Every one is different and adds something to our life and we give them a great home. We still miss the ones gone a lot, but wouldn't give up the replacements.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:58 PM

nothing fills the void left by a dog better than a new pup.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:26 PM

When deciding on getting a new pet I use the following criteria

Do I miss having the pet
Is my lifestyle changing as in more traveling or potentially moving to a pet free home
Does anyone have allergies that could get worse
Can I still afford a pet
Am I physically able to look after a pet

If I answer yes to all I grieve and then start looking.

An alternative if unsure is to join a charities volunteer program and foster
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2022, 10:14 PM

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you.

Loyalty to my dog meant I passed on 3 other dogs, offered by friends with nothing but good intentions.

Me, I just need time to digest the loss...on my time, no one else's.

It's tough. When I'm ready, I'll get a dog. Funny how a dog teaches a human a lesson in loyalty.

Genuinely, sorry for your loss.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 PM

After we lost the last dog we thought probably not again . Waited 18 months for the replacement dog and it has been awesome
Take your time and when it feels right you'll figure it out
Old 09-09-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. People who are not dog people will never understand how truly rough it is.
Ain't that the truth.

Lost my buddy of 21 years back in Feb and as much as I miss him, I'm just not ready for another one even though I would love another one. I just cant go through that kind of loss again voluntarily.

And I'm afraid I would be comparing the new dog to the old one which isn't fair to the new one.

OP, sounds like your ready for another one.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:02 AM

On my farm not having a dog is like not having a farm, it’s a lifestyle not just a dog. I’ve had a number of them over the years, many buried in my back yard( well back 40 I guess) so it’s hard at times for sure when they go. I only hope I’m loved and missed that much when my time comes.

I think you have to ask your self if a dog is your lifestyle or just pet. For me it’s like having kids and grandkids, couldn’t imagine my life without them.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:58 PM

I suggest giving it a little time so that rather than trying to replace a dog you are anticipating and enjoying a whole new dog.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:17 PM

Condolences on your dog loss.

We always had a dog growing up. I moved out and had 3 GSP's in a row. When one left us, replaced quickly. Then the last one got to 16 and we had to put her down. Wife still had her rat dog, a chihuahua, so the loss wasn't an empty house.

I thought for sure I would have another right away. Been 10 yrs. Still have the rat dog but the pull for a real dog is very strong again. I should not have waited this long, could have been one more dogs life saved and memories made. I guess now I have to get 2 to make it up .
Old 09-16-2022, 03:09 PM

So we have decided to look for a dog. Looking for any recommendations on breeds and breeders. Looking for a gun dog. Don't really have preference, Prefer medium size dogs. I have 2 younger girls, so they will be the family pet too. The wife would want a dog that sheds less than our Toller if that is possible.

What have you guys got?

The little bit I've looked many breeders are already wait listed to 2025. I'm hoping to find something sooner than that.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So we have decided to look for a dog. Looking for any recommendations on breeds and breeders. Looking for a gun dog. Don't really have preference, Prefer medium size dogs. I have 2 younger girls, so they will be the family pet too. The wife would want a dog that sheds less than our Toller if that is possible.

What have you guys got?

The little bit I've looked many breeders are already wait listed to 2025. I'm hoping to find something sooner than that.
Prairiestorm Kennels for a lab
Old 09-16-2022, 04:23 PM

It's so hard to lose them. The best cure is to get another. I agree with previous posters on that point. But really sorry for your loss. I get it. Still have the collar and tags from my last best friend hanging from the rearview mirror. We still go for rides together every day. And, I bring my new best friend too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2022, 04:59 PM

I have a Drahthaar, and he is a very good hunting dog, but in the house the switch goes off, and he becomes a couch potato. He doesn shed much, definitely less than friends labs. If you want a smaller dog, Pudelpointers and WPGs are smaller, and they shed very little. I am actually considering a WPG for my next dog, as they tend to be a little slower, and as I get older, I am getting slower.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

What have you guys got?

I have a Toller as well.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors