Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2021, 05:46 PM

Default 60% shutdown for comercial salmon fishing in BC

Commercial fishing is facing a 60% shutdown in BC. Sounds like they could face a possible repeat of the Cod fishery shutdown on the East coast in the 80s.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Commercial fishing is facing a 60% shutdown in BC. Sounds like they could face a possible repeat of the Cod fishery shutdown on the East coast in the 80s.
It's long overdue, stocks can't keep up with the demand,if they don't do something the consequences will be life changing for all who depend on the livelihood,and yes just like the moratorium on the East coast.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:40 PM

Is there’s cooperation agreement on this with the US?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 PM

Does this surprise anyone? A plan has been in the works for quite some time to give it all to the Indians. This is a political decision that has nothing to do with fish stocks.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 PM

East coast already on welfare, West coast next, and the Prairies soon after. Makes perfectly good sense to the elite in the kremlin errrr I mean Ottawa.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 PM

Does it apply to all commercial seasons and fishers? The aThompson steelhead are basically extinct because of the chum fishery, a pretty exclusive fishery.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Does it apply to all commercial seasons and fishers? The aThompson steelhead are basically extinct because of the chum fishery, a pretty exclusive fishery.
The Thompson Steelhead were also hit very hard by unregulated nets in the river. Too bad too, because in the early 90’s it was quite the fishery.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:36 AM

Unless this includes the native fishery ( blocking the rivers with gill nets) it wont do diddly squat. But I doubt the ruling powers have enough balls to even suggest this.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Unless this includes the native fishery ( blocking the rivers with gill nets) it wont do diddly squat. But I doubt the ruling powers have enough balls to even suggest this.
X2 on this what’s the point if only a percentage of the fishermen have to follow the rules.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:39 PM

Sure shut it down to the local fisherman. What about the other countries that will come in past the boundary lines like they do off the Grand Banks and scoop up more than their share. Who is going to police that on the west coast. They can barely stop it off the east coast. They do not even come close to enough enforcement to patrol the waters to protect our fisheries. Political bull droppings
Old 07-02-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Sure shut it down to the local fisherman. What about the other countries that will come in past the boundary lines like they do off the Grand Banks and scoop up more than their share. Who is going to police that on the west coast. They can barely stop it off the east coast. They do not even come close to enough enforcement to patrol the waters to protect our fisheries. Political bull droppings
I was blissfully unaware that this is a problem. I'd appreciate some references so I can find out more. Google wasn't much help. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
If you look online they've put out a list of the fisheries effected and a lot of them effect the Fraser river runs and should help out the Thompson steelhead run.....hopefully.
Too many people going after too few fish.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...tures-eng.html
Old 07-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
We could sink them offending ships with those leaky British subs the Last Lieberal government bought That would show em who boss.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
If you look online they've put out a list of the fisheries effected and a lot of them effect the Fraser river runs and should help out the Thompson steelhead run.....hopefully.
Too many people going after too few fish.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...tures-eng.html
Thank you for the link. I was being polite, but that link provided me with the answer I wanted.

"First Nations communal-commercial harvesters
We will meaningfully consult with First Nations communal-commercial harvesters on options to shift to more selective fishing gear or, where available, to other non-salmon species. These mitigation measures allow for continued economic opportunity agreements under the communal-commercial licence, while helping reduce interactions with at-risk stocks"

So in short, no. The leading cause of Thompson steelhead decline is currently Native Chum Fisheries. This has been well documented. These closures will have zero bearing on those openings, not are the steelhead even being thought of. Truly sad.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the link. I was being polite, but that link provided me with the answer I wanted.

"First Nations communal-commercial harvesters
We will meaningfully consult with First Nations communal-commercial harvesters on options to shift to more selective fishing gear or, where available, to other non-salmon species. These mitigation measures allow for continued economic opportunity agreements under the communal-commercial licence, while helping reduce interactions with at-risk stocks"

So in short, no. The leading cause of Thompson steelhead decline is currently Native Chum Fisheries. This has been well documented. These closures will have zero bearing on those openings, not are the steelhead even being thought of. Truly sad.
I know what you mean about the nets on the Fraser, I've fished it many times, and have seen the amount out there. The commercial guys as well have a huge effect on the amount of fish in the river. When they have an opening the fishing just stops, it seems like nothing gets through. Hopefully this will stop some of that.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Is there’s cooperation agreement on this with the US?
I would highly doubt that.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
This needs to apply to everyone, there's no sense any other way..