Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 11:56 AM

Default Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction overturned

Going to be interesting reading how this happened.

He is to be released from prison shortly.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-30-2021, 12:20 PM

no my words but this is one of the top posts of reddit / news ..

The main reason this case was overturned was because in 2005 the Montgomery County District Attorney effectively promised never to prosecute Cosby for raping Andrea Costand (through a public press release saying he was not going to prosecute Cosby), believing that there was no way he could get a conviction, and seeking to give her some justice by helping her when she sued him for the assault in civil court.

Because the DA had said they were not going to prosecute him, Cosby was unable to "plead the 5th" in the civil lawsuit and was forced to admit under oath at depositions to giving multiple women Quaaludes before he sexually assaulted them, and even said he gave Costand multiple Benadryl before he assaulted her.

Years later, a new Montgomery County DA said that the DA in 2005 hadn't formally bound the state, and therefore she could go forward with prosecuting him. At the trial, Cosby's lawyers argued that he couldn't be prosecuted because of what the DA did in 2005, but the judge said that earlier decision was not enforceable and allowed Cosby to be prosecuted, in part because there was no signed non-prosecute agreement, only the public statement.

Today the Pennsylvania Supreme Court disagreed, saying that:

For the reasons detailed below, we hold that, when a prosecutor makes an unconditional promise of non-prosecution, and when the defendant relies upon that guarantee to the detriment of his constitutional right not to testify, the principle of fundamental fairness that undergirds due process of law in our criminal justice system demands that the promise be enforced.

In other words, the DA in 2005 promised not to prosecute Cosby for raping Costand (in an effort to allow her to sue him civilly), that must be enforced, and therefore Cosby goes free.

There are other aspects to the decision, but that's the big one.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM

So how much will Cosby sue for?
Old 06-30-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So how much will Cosby sue for?
would be wise to walk away and dont pull a OJ . got away with murder then get jailed for taking back his own sports memorabilia
Old 06-30-2021, 01:58 PM

Default Cosby released

Either way, he's still a despicable, lecherous pig.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:16 PM

BUT! what happened years ago, cannot be sue for, unless it was at that time. What I mean to say is true. We have all heard about the directors couch. YOU are right, but we all still can't sued. God I would have them lining up. And I was good, well in my mind.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
BUT! what happened years ago, cannot be sue for, unless it was at that time. What I mean to say is true. We have all heard about the directors couch. YOU are right, but we all still can't sued. God I would have them lining up. And I was good, well in my mind.
you are not making any sense ,, go back to and finish your afternoon nap
Old 06-30-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
you are not making any sense ,, go back to and finish your afternoon nap
Cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:05 PM

Unfortunate he’s getting out. I suspect there may be other prosecution attempts but it could prove difficult where statutes of limitations apply. If nothing else, he’s forever humiliated. I’d still prefer to see more time served though, he was a serial rapist for how long? How often did he offend and for how many decades? That victim list must be substantial, surely more lawsuits may come forward, he can enjoy his time out of jail in the defendants chair. Perhaps some victims who never spoke up might now, being as they can’t take solace in him being imprisoned.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Cant drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Lmao….that made me laugh.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Unfortunate he’s getting out. I suspect there may be other prosecution attempts but it could prove difficult where statutes of limitations apply. If nothing else, he’s forever humiliated. I’d still prefer to see more time served though, he was a serial rapist for how long? How often did he offend and for how many decades? That victim list must be substantial, surely more lawsuits may come forward, he can enjoy his time out of jail in the defendants chair. Perhaps some victims who never spoke up might now, being as they can’t take solace in him being imprisoned.
I hope that others do come forward, after all he's a serial rapist,it's a slap in the face for all of his victims and to the general public in my opinion. He definitely needs to be locked up
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:27 PM

Hope he dies of syphilis of the brain. Scum of the earth.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:47 PM

Default Untouchables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
Either way, he's still a despicable, lecherous pig.
As are many of the rich and famous in Hollywood.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:26 AM

Old proverb " You are not guilty until you run out of money" applies here.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Old proverb " You are not guilty until you run out of money" applies here.
Yes. Just as in Canada there is a legal system not a justice system. Another confessed criminal released on a technicality.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
Yes. Just as in Canada there is a legal system not a justice system. Another confessed criminal released on a technicality.
Not really a technicality, the DA made a deal, and gave up the right to prosecute. Then another DA reneged on the deal, so there never should have been a conviction in the first place. He is a guilty scumbag, but he is free because of the DA deal.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 AM

Thumbs down Unintended consequences courtesy of well meaning professionals (the original DA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I don't think anyone familiar with U.S. law would describe a fundamental process of law guaranteed in their Constitution a "technicality".
Quote:
For the reasons detailed below, we hold that, when a prosecutor makes an unconditional promise of non-prosecution, and when the defendant relies upon that guarantee to the detriment of his constitutional right not to testify, the principle of fundamental fairness that undergirds due process of law in our criminal justice system demands that the promise be enforced.
When his civil case was being tried, I remember thinking "why would he admit to more assaults than he is being sued for?"
Now we know why. His lawyer was playing the long game, and the state was unable to anticipate the consequences of their decision.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-01-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I don't think anyone familiar with U.S. law would describe a fundamental process of law guaranteed in their Constitution a "technicality".

When his civil case was being tried, I remember thinking "why would he admit to more assaults than he is being sued for?"
Now we know why. His lawyer was playing the long game, and the state was unable to anticipate the consequences of their decision.
Apparently, a lot of people are not familiar with their Constitution.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/30/10118...-advocates-say
https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news...-21/index.html
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ult-conviction
https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/accu...ality-78608620
https://news.yahoo.com/cosby-prison-...153253824.html
Old 07-01-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
X2
Old 07-01-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My comment got nuked and I got a warning because I slightly more harsh in my wording but very much in agreement with your post.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Now you have James Franco paying out two and a half million but never charged I guess always good to have lots of money when you're like these scumbags
Closed Thread